back to article Safari 5 off to Apple's traditional rough start

Apple's Safari 5 has been out for just one day, but — as is usual with integer-level upgrades — users are already reporting niggles, nuisances, and no-goes. Over on Macintouch, for example, we first learned of Safari 5's annoyance with third-party plug-ins, specifically SafariStand. Mike Solomon, the creator of the SIMBL ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nicolas
    Megaphone

glimmer

Plugins have always been a pain.

Use glimmerblocker, which is a kind of local proxy (but light and very efficient), and has been working flawlessly for me in between updates...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hopefully the advent of a plug-in API

will eliminate a good part of that pain...

2. RichyS
    Thumb Down

WTF

Safari Stand uses a bunch of hacks and undocumented APIs to work. Why on earth should anyone expect it to work with Safari 5?

I've tried Safari 5 on my ThinkPad and am impressed with the extra speed and the Reader mode. But I guess if you want to find some minor technicality to bash Apple on, then fine. Just seems a bit childish to me...

3. davebarnes

Everyone has their install disc

"the Install disc that came with it. If you can remember where you put it."

The install disc is in the box your Mac came in.

You did save the box? Of course you did as it increases the price you get when you sell your used Mac.

Only idiots don't save all the Mac packaging.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Troll

what's the 'install disk' for?

I thought that when you got a mMac, it "just worked" (TM)? What is an 'install disk'? And what does it do? is it something to do with Windows?

OK - I'll go back to living under a bridge and demanding a fee from anyone wanting to cross :)

1. Sean Timarco Baggaley
        WTF?

Apple gear has many good features...

... but neither "infinitely capacious and reliable hard drive", or other "moving parts with miraculous, never-ending lifespans" are on the list.

And heaven forfend that someone might actually want to upgrade their hard drive at some point in the machine's future. Apple kit tends to have a pretty long lifespan. And surprisingly good resale value too. Which reduces the TCO, incidentally. (As an earlier poster pointed out: only the first Mac is expensive: any subsequent machines you buy are reduced in price by the resale value of its predecessor.)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I agree with Mike Solomon

SIMBL's running just fine here: Safari did moan about Safariblock and refused to load it, but Safari Adblock (which also runs on SIMBL) seems to be perfectly happy. ClickToFlash is also happy in its new home. Between those two, my plug-in needs are currently pretty much met, and I'm really getting a sense of Teh Snappeh™

5. Steve W 1

Open vs. Curated

Safari / HTML5 vs The App Store / Apps: the war between "open" and "curated" comes into focus.

Now is the time for all App Store critics to come to the aid of the "open" web.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Input Managers

Until now, Safari plugins have had to rely on using the InputManager framework in OS X. The framework is designed to enable support for alternative text input methods, not as a plugin-architecture.

http://macdaddyworld.com/2007/11/06/theres-something-about-input-managers/

This, along with the use of undocumented (i.e., private) APIs which are **subject to change without notice** are the root cause of the upgrade problems mentioned in the article.

7. Chris 3
    WTF?

Not amazingly surprising

Things like SIMBL really are a nasty hacky hack. The first thing I did on installing Safari 5 was to get rid of my hacky add-ons (ClickToFlash and Glims) assuming there would be much pain involved.

1. technome
      Happy

Ironically,

both of those are working fine here!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So

how are you going to block flash now?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

What's the install disk for?

It's for when you realise that you like OSX, but your mac's integrated graphics won't cope with half-life 2.

Steam - now hackintosh has a reason.

And the reason is Apple's gaping PCIe-x16-shaped product-hole below their top-end MacPro.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Typical headline bait

SAFARI 5 OFF TO APPLE'S TRADITIONAL ROUGH START

What rough start? I’ve been using Safari 5 for the day, fairly heavily without any problems.

Oh! This is just the typical Reg anti-Apple/Jobs rant. The headline as bait to distort reality. The Reg often has its own reality distortion field when it comes to Apple

1. chr0m4t1c

Got to admit

I'm wondering what the fuss is about.

Almost every time a new point release of Firefox comes out there are a bunch of plugins that stop working. Typically anything still being worked on is patched within a month and I can begin looking for alternatives for the remainder after that.

That's just a point release, when there is a major release like this you can pretty well forget about using any plugins for a couple of months.

All we're seeing here is who is pro-active, who is reactive and who's given up.

10. Barry Lane 1
    Thumb Up

Yup, working here too

Using Safari 5 with no problems. Seems pretty smooth and fast. Browser of choice, etc, ya-de-yah...

11. DZ-Jay

No problems here either

Works like a charm. Using the "Reader" feature on El Reg* is a dream too.

* Oh, unclench, for chrissake! It's either Firefox with AdBlock or Safari with Reader; at least the latter lets the adverts load fully first.

-dZ.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like