back to article Microsoft presses refresh on Windows Live again

Microsoft is once again tweaking its Windows Live estate, this time with a view to improving photo and video management both online and offline. According to CNet's Ina Fried, Redmond is updating its Windows Live photo gallery, movie maker, mail and sync features with betas expected to arrive in the next few months. "We're …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson
    FAIL

"Windows is better for photos than a Mac, hands down"

Hahahahahahahahahaha

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

"Windows is better for photos than a Mac, hands down"

But Linux is better still...

<ducks> !

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah sure

..until you have the misfortune to compile the current lamentable state of the Argyll CMS stuff. There's really only one good full fat photo workflow app for linux, bibble pro, which costs money and is bugged to fsck.

Of course, this doesn't bother most happy snappers, content to work in sRGB with colour clipping all over the shop, and no form of colour managed workflow.

(Hint: even the mac's underwhelming "preview" app handles embedded colour profiles and soft proofing)

2. dogged
      Stop

Take a value for money calculation

of Paintshop Pro or GIMP vs Paint.net.

Then laugh at your overdraft.

2. The_Police!
    FAIL

What the?

No refresh for Windows XP? Looks like Microsoft are going to start forcing people to upgrade to Windows 7 to make use of new features.

Epic Fail coming. How soon before people start moving to platform independent services?

Looks like the Microsoft Fail Boat is heading for rocks in the water with nothing to steer with.

Can I just add: ahahahahahahahahahha

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ater just "upgrading" to Windows 7...

...may I just say what a disgusting sack of utter crap it is. It has enough shines and animated GIFs to drive one insane. Everything spins, flashes or otherwise pisses one off. The start menu is like the horror marriage of the worst from KDE with the worst of XP. A lot of screen estate to unjustifiably deep task bar, window frames etc. At least it has the beginnings of NFS support, but refuses to be backwards compatible on RDP (see foot, shoot foot).

I'm used to the root challenge from Linux, but the Win7 version is just retarded; it doesn't ask for a password, so any pillock could install (if they happen to be in the correct group). Still can't get to grips with the whole concept of s-e-c-u-r-i-t-y can you Windows?

It even boots slower than Ubuntu 10.04 despite being on better hardware! If I could find the XP 64bit discs, I'd be wiping and upgrading to that. Wn7 - my last version of Windows ever; and if you have any sense, you'll make it yours.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

XBox live and Messenger

Any news of Microsoft 'fixing' Live so that when I'm signed in via my XBox I can use my Live cam to communicate with my messenger contacts. Currently you can only web chat between two XBox users.

4. JDX Gold badge
    Grenade

damned if they do...

Sheesh, MS get panned for not killing out-of date browsers, AND panned for not supporting equally aged operating systems that you guys are always calling 'insecure and crap'. Make up your minds... should they support their old 'crap' software or not?

On the other hand, maybe you don't actually have any logical thought processes, just some website which auto-generates lame insults every time they see the word "Microsoft".

:)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You miss the point

I'm typing this on a Win 7 box, and will do anything possible to keep these "free apps" off it. They are fackin' horrid useless charmless crud. Huge, too.

People are mostly panning them for creating shitty software, old or new.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. uninventiveheart
      Gates Horns

More like David and Goliath...

It's easy to hate Microsoft no matter what they do. Dropping XP support is a cash grab, yet supporting it is admitting how crappy Vista/7 is to the non-MS crowd. Yet when Mac drops support for Tiger, everyone pats Jobs on the back for antiquating perfectly useable computers as "junk" for low-income people and schools who may not be able to afford new computers, even at a discount.

Before someone mentions Apple deeply discounts computers for education, remember that schools in America are firing teachers/losing staff at an alarming rate. Hard to justify buying new computers when the computer class needed to teach them is shuttered and the school is looking to sell the outdated equipment to prevent firing a teacher in Math or History. The PE and Home Ec teachers were fired ages ago. There's not much left to lose.

Back to the point: Tablet PC's when Microsoft first touted the idea was a gimmick. It's still a gimmick, even with Apple in the 'game', now Microsoft and Google are interested in releasing competing products for a niche market. The market is there, don't get me wrong, but it's not a huge one... one product will do, if any at all. Even a dated Eee PC 801 does as much as an iPad does now, it's not leaps and bounds apart. The main difference is the packaging.

And most of us don't need it. $400-600 spent on a gadget about to occupy a closet shelf or desk drawer, and yes, for those paying attention, it's what the mainstream users are finding about right now regarding Netbooks. If you have the cash to pony up for a Macbook or a PC Laptop, take the initiative and get it already.

5. jason 7
    WTF?

Forcing people.......

....after ten veryyyyy long years.

Thats awful. My heart bleeds for them. You mean they might have to upgrade their PC from that old 3Ghz P4 or AthlonXP 2200 with 512MB and a 40GB HDD they bought 7 or more years ago that hardly works now?

Time and tech moves on, deal with it.

There was a time when MS were churning out a new OS nearly every two years.

1. Rob Beard
      Linux

I know some people who are still using XP on new kit...

... such as my brother-in-law who bought a nice shiny new Core i7 system for gaming and is still running XP (I did question why he didn't move to Windows 7 but he said he liked XP).

I think in the company I'm working at we'll probably replace Windows with Linux on at least 50% of the machines in the company (okay I'm not talking about that many machines, 20 out of 40 or so) as they're too old to run Windows 7 and we don't have the budget for a Windows 7, Office 2010 and machine upgrade at the moment. However we can keep running these machines with Ubuntu and OpenOffice which will do the majority of what we want, only a specific few machines will need anything Windows. Ahh the joys of web based systems :-)

Rob

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

End of an era

Honestly I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and I like it, but the problem I foresee for Microsoft is that myself, and many other people increasingly camp out in a web browser (Chrome and Firefox in my case) to get work done, so for my next OS I'll care much less about the OS and much more about JavaScript/etc. performance within the web browser. Add to that the desire for mobile computing on tablets/etc. and I think it's safe to say Microsoft has missed the boat (do they have anything that runs on devices that can remotely compete with the iPad/Linux based tablets/phones/etc?).

7. theloon
    FAIL

Another hilarious MS comment

These guys are comedians !

8. Phil101

Facial Recognition

Photo Gallery already has facial recognition.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like