back to article EU mulls new central cybercrime agency

The European Commission will investigate the establishment of a new EU agency to tackle cybercrime. The new agency could be part of Europol, EU ministers have said. The Council of Ministers has asked the Commission to look at its agreed set of cybercrime objectives and investigate whether a new, centralised agency is a better …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ssullivan

About time, but is Europol suitable?

Seems as if everyone (http://aofs.org/wp-content/files/2010/03/091201-Chertoff.pdf, http://www.ewi.info/international-pathways-cybersecurity-0) is pushing for a better ability to plan and integrate elements on this topic. Question is, is Europol suitable for this kind of remit, or is it too slow an organisation to be able to do anything? Anyone with more in-depth experience have some light to throw?

2. Paolo Marini
    WTF?

Europol website is not compliant

The Europol website is not compliant with the recent Charter of Fundamental Rights of the EU, which states that no discrimination is possible based on language (among other things), while in the Europol "Contact Us" page there is a nice note:

"Any request should preferably be sent in English. Should a request be submitted in another official language of the European Union delays in handling the request might occur. "

I reported them to the Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA) but they said that they can't do anything about it... way to go EU !

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Wait! Please!

I wish they would wait until after I've written my dissertation.

My essential argument is that cybercrime is unequally legislated for (as opposed to piracy or terrorism) in the international sphere and the EU is really buggering my arguments.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Simples...

... just contact a botnet herder and set up a DDoS attack that will screw up their systems until after you've presented your dissertation.

Sorted!

(And the fallout should give you plenty of material for your Masters...)

4. Jellied Eel Silver badge
    Welcome

Fund our own cybercrime properly first.

Yes, it's international but the biggest problem we have seems to be a woeful lack of resources to investigate and prosecute. I can see this creating yet another sprawling eurobody and siphoning off even more money from domestic work.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Well, it could be tricky ...

... but not beyond reasonable human endevour.

F'r'instance:

UK police/finance/military identify a rapid expansion of some malware and consider time to be of essence.

Immediately contact their similar type organisation in a non-EU country but (in haste) overlook notifying Europol.

Europol eventually discovers oversight and gets the huff on and wants to (or at least its administrators and political appointees want to) get even by sulking with afore hinted UK police force as they should have been told first so there!

It is an interesting area to develop with lots of relational aspects to think about and (hopefully) not get too bogged down with admin heavy stuff.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Copyright cartel want their own police force with unlimited rights

"The European Commission will investigate the establishment of a new EU agency to tackle cybercrime."

Meaning copyright infringment and it should actually say:

"Copyright cartel want their own police force with unlimited rights."

That would be more true than current story. And why is that?

Because by far the largest cybercriminal is the EU itself. Except copyright.

You know, letters and identities of sender/receiver are secret in snail mail but _must be stored_ by EU-wide order in e-mail. That's a cybercrime (at least from my point of view), making EU biggest cybercriminal in EU.

Copyright cartel first bought stealing rights and now they want to have a small unit (=easy to bribe, like comission) resposible to enforcing those rights, without outside monitoring.

How convinient for them, isn't it?

7. David Pollard

A nice little earner

Given the present imbalances within the eurozone and that ENISA is based in Greece, building a new spy centre might provide a convenient way to funnel funds as an alternative to a simple bail-out. GCHQ having been mooting £12 billion for surveillance of the net, for example, the sums involved could be quite large. And as the tasks can mostly be performed anywhere, a Greek island might provide an appropriately secure and congenial location, avoiding the squabbles that are often said to take place over the siting of EU organisations.

This topic is closed for new posts.