back to article Facebook prepares for another privacy row with its users

Facebook has once again decided to tweak its privacy policy, but this time the Mark Zuckerberg-run company has told its users to expect another overhaul ahead of making the changes - presumably in an effort to prevent the kind of protest the Web2.0rhea site suffered last year. On Friday Facebook’s deputy general counsel …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SuperTim
    Badgers

Pre Approval.....

How would one go about becoming preappoved (notwithstanding the fact that the word pre is surplus)?

Would it involve paying facebook lots of money by any chance?

Thanks zuckerberg, but i am not your data crack ho..... you can't sell me to your corporate bumchums....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hi guys im taking a shit

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Stop

I read "facebook"

I just saw; "blah, blah, blah".....

How's getting tired of all this crap?

Web2.0rhea indeed.

4. Duncan Hothersall
    Badgers

Bless.

"However, we've definitely identified some interesting opportunities to improve the way you share and connect with the people and things in your life."

How entirely selfless of you. I really am flattered that you continue to go to such trouble without any urging and without a thought for the expense and challenges you burden yourselves with. My only hope is that somehow, some day, you find a way to recoup the never-ending investment you are making into my wellbeing.

5. Throatwobbler Mangrove
    Badgers

well, alright

"“Not all of these products have been finalised and many aren't yet built at all."

Who said Web2.0 was dead?

6. Michael Parker
    Pint

interesting...?

"...and connect with the... ...things in your life."

So, does this mean we'll finally be at the Tomorrows World point of our toaster telling the fridge we need more jam?

'I'll drink to that' but only if my fridge has ordered more beer from Tesco's online for me...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No probs here

I got badgered into setting up a Facebook account to help with my kids' farms (yes I know....seriously sad or what). Facebook are welcome to the information in the account though as I created a disposable email address to set it up and then populated my profile with absolute garbage.

Posting this anonymously as I need to keep the account running to send them Maison gifts??? and you never know who is watching.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh well

I'm glad I never bothered to enter any accurate personal data on there. I can carry on whiffling and keeping up with my friends while some other poor sod is bombarded with my junk mail.

As for the location tagging - brilliant use of technology, which I will block immediately because I don't want anyone knowing what I'm up to. If you can't find me online, go check the pub and buy me a pint.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Place"?

> "concept of a ‘place’ that could refer to a Page, such as one for a local restaurant."

Basically, if the restaurant has paid them for ads, then any status changes, blog updates, whatever, that you make on your iPhone/Android, and that happen to be *near* (as GPS ain't that accurate) the paid-up ad buyer, will make it seem as if you are in there, enjoying a good meal. If you live over one of these places, might as well just don a sandwich board.

In the movie "Idiocracy," everyone walks around with Hawaiian shirts made up of NASCAR-style ads. This looks like it's the e-version of exactly that.

1. Keith 20

title

And I thought I must be the only person to have seen that film ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Badgers

No...

...Idiocracy is a cultural watershed.

A meme, even...

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Class..

"Facebook developers and third party websites will be required to “delete all data” from the site if a user requests such a removal."

But we won't...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what a pile of steaming

I don't want my stuff shared. Those stupid apps that require access to my profile get blocked or restricted access. Anything that sends out stupid posts and emails can do so but they are only seen by me.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, I'm glad they cleared this up.

"Additionally developers are forbidden from sharing Facebook data with other ad networks such as Google and DoubleClick"

I guess that explains why all my long timeouts on Farmville occur while the thingie showing what is loading says "google.ads" or some such.

13. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"we look forward to providing ... new privacy controls"

And we look forward to watching just how badly those fail.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

To remove data specific to you from our computers...

...Please provide us with your name, address, and account details.

15. Snert Lee

Some highlights

Payment info to be stored on opt-out basis, instead of opt-in, but they will allow you to delete it after it's been stored.

"Authorize" becomes "connect with".

"Facebook-enhanced applications" becomes "applications on Platform"

Removes suggestion to review default settings.

In the Rights and Responsibilities document:

Adds "You will not create more than one personal profile. ", so get your sockpuppets built now.

Adds prohibition against inciting violence. Take that, Tea Party.

If you cancel an ad you've bought, you owe them for showing it between the time you cancel and the time they actually stop.

FB claims to own the words Face, Poke, Wall, and the number 32665.

16. J 3
    WTF?

Location?

Cool, just like "hey, I'm away, come rob my house, please!" -- of course supposedly only "friends" can see that type of stuff now, if the user is not too stupid or famous. But once it's open to "trusted companies", who knows...

17. Slappy Frogg

Self-delusion

"On the flip side, Facebook developers and third party websites will be required to “delete all data” from the site if a user requests such a removal. Additionally developers are forbidden from sharing Facebook data with other ad networks such as Google and DoubleClick.

Of course whether those coders adhere to the Facebook policy remains to be seen. "

Um, yeah, 'cause companies have such a great history of properly handling user data so I can totally see them going through the effort of properly configuring a "delete all data" feature.

Talk about capacity for self-delusion!

18. Mark 65

Title required

This sort of shite will go on ad-infinitum. Facebook is only a viable business if it can sell the copious amounts of personal data it holds. That is it's value. No-one is interested in any spacky little paid app or service. The financial backers doubtless want to see some return for their made-in-haste investment so this will just keep on happening.

19. Beanzy
    FAIL

Whoah! Facebook drop a big one.... again

Facebook will highlight the fact that you're on there at work............ that'll increase your useage during the day.... not.

Great wat to lower the value of your product Farcebook; discourage prime time use by your info sheep. How can you can you shear their useage data if they're not on there because they'll be fired?

20. mhenriday

And people - even Facebook users - complain about Google !

Facebook is not designed to be used by persons at all concerned about privacy. Those who are are advised to refrain from using the service....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like