back to article 'It's Britney, bitch' riding high again

Oh, Britney would you look at that, a ray of sunshine has finally hit your otherwise beleaguered pop career. She may be in an ugly custody battle for her children with her ex-squeeze K-Fed, but Britney Spears was yesterday given something to smile about as her new single Gimme More topped the digital songs charts. Yep, that's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan Hall

Interest in the freakshow

doesn't necessarily equate with interest in the music, per se.

Sure there are a lot of teenie-boppers out there who think that Spears' music (and I use that word in it's loosest sense) is cool. But a lot of this activity is based on the typical bread-and-circuses interest in a freak of nature. A lot of folks are just curious as to how her new music sounds, perhaps wondering if it's as bad as the MTV show seemed to indicate.

I wouldn't count the initial release of the first new song from the album as a "comeback" quite yet. Let's see where the numbers are in, say, 30 days when the bizzaro factor has worn off.

2. JP

But...

Where's the Paris Hilton angle??

Call me a taxi, I've got my coat...

3. Iain

Good Grief...

Would have thought that horrifying picture of Britney's crusty snatch would have put anybody off... live and learn...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ergh

"before all you cynics out there start suggesting that a zombie network is in fact responsible for favourably plumping Brit's musical assets..."

What a bizarre mental image. It reminds me of that recent news story about the Inca children who were fattened up with maize and meat for a year before being led up a mountain, pumped full of drugs, and then frozen / beaten / crushed to death in sacrifice to some imaginary god. Has human society really progressed since then? I think the answer is yes, it has.

5. Kane

No, really....

....where's the Paris Hilton angle?

Ok, ok, I've already got me coat. JP, hold that taxi....no, don't leave yet....dammit!

Someone call up another taxi.....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a deal to be made

"why cant you JUST LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!!!!!"

If I recall correctly, she started it. Assaulted our ears (but to be fair, in the early days, our eyes weren't complaining) and no mistake.

Incessant tabloid-baiting and a general piss-my-riches-up-against-the-wall, isn't-my-life-so-hard? No thanks. If she just disappears back into the obscurity she so richly deserves, then I guess no-one will have any problem with that. People would be quite happy to leave her alone then I'd guess...

7. Brand Hilton

Peaked at 14

I looked up her album sales once. Her debut album was her biggest seller. Every album since then has sold progressively fewer copies. How would that be, to be 25 years old and know that your career had peaked 10 years ago?

8. Ben Gibson

People are weird

Isn't it weird how people are compelled to pull other people down, assuming no trickery was involved someone has just done really well for themselves, even if that is only doing really well in hiring the right people to make it look like you've done really well.

I'm not a Britney fan or supporter but it's really depressing to see someone torn down by people who blatantly know very little about that person.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A good example of...

The problems with the pop industry, she has to much money while having not very much do, no wonder she's a nutter.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I liked her for her music

I'd put Oops!... I did it again or Crazy (the stop remix) up against the Beetles and the Stones.

Just plain good dance music.

Am I the only one that liked her for her music?

11. Chris

Re: Leave Britney ALONE......

By willingly putting yourself in [and forcing your way on..?] the public medium in a way such as this manufactored pop-tart has done, I would argue that you lose any real right to privacy.

You can't unleash the beast to do your bidding, then complain when it turns on you..

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Ben

I thought the reason people pull her down is because she a talentless spoilt little rich kid who has the cheek to complain to us normal people about her troubled life, and that the only reason she sits atop this pile of money is because she has been chosen by the record companies 10 years ago as someone with enough "i-want-to-bone-her" appeal to exploit our weakness and give them money.

if she was genuinely talented like say mylene klass and not a pro-bush hick retard from the deep south then im sure we would feel that she was more deserving of her spoils, and would give her more of a chance.

go britney! yay!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Peaked at 14

Um... "Baby one more time" came out when she was 17. I know because well ... *I* was 17 at the time. (Britney is only months younger than me). So she peaked at 17 ;)

That makes it all the more sadder to see her slump; I'd expect someone so successful would still be like that, not to spiral down on the Paris Hilton way quicker than Paris Hilton herself.

BTW, note: she isn't "fighting for custody", she's already lost it.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ya'll don't know southern girls

They all do this eventually they hit bottom somewhere deeply buried in that mostly useless brain is a business mind and as soon as she wakes up and realizes she can she will use it and all those people who are using her now will be licking her boot trying to get a piece of whatever she'll let them have it always happens that way unless you kill them first.

15. Misha Gale

Re: I liked her for her music

Yes, I guess she is better than The Beetles. I certainly find her preferable to listening to coleoptera.

16. Walter Brown

PH angle?!?

I thought, at the last board meeting, we voted unanimously to relocate (and thus rename) the Hilton flagship from Paris to Bangkok?!?

(coat in hand) TAXI........!!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

would I be out of line if....

I really didn't give a shit about Ms. Spears, Ms. Hilton or any other starlet (or star)? Most of them are nothing more than temporary eye candy that provide about 15 minutes of humorous audio sound bites that catagorically demonstrate just how stupid they actually are.

So, and not to be ungracious to the writers & staff at the Reg, but in conclusion, I don't think there are any words in English, King's, Queen's, American or any bastardized dialect (I'm somewhat partial to Elmer Fudd) that can adaquately describe how little some of us actually care

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gimme More

Why is there a man burping in the chorus? :/

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This girl

reminds me of a cockroach more and more

20. buckie

re: re: Leave Britney ALONE......

Oooh,

Chris, Anonymous Vulture, that's an Internet faux-pas boys. You missed a meme and... I caught you missing a meme!!

Super!

21. Mr Larrington

@Anonymous Vulture

"The problems with the pop industry, she has too much money while having not very much to do, no wonder she's a nutter."

Perchance she'd like to come and, for a pittance, slave over the Babbage-Engines here while I swan off to Stullifornia and loaf by the pool while watching the royalties roll in.

*Then* we'll see whether money and idleness are at the root of it all...

Bah!

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Larrington

Idleness has been proved to very bad for the brain, if u don't keep active u will be a nutter to :)

George Michael is another example, done nothing for years and now just a little bit strange.

23. Spike Ravenscroft

Sorry but...

...I do quite like some of her music. No sarcasm.

There are a couple of good tracks on each album, and I do have them all.

I guess i just think its a shame that things have gotten this bad for her.

It cannot be easy to have the world watching you every moment of the day.

And i'm not saying that people in the entertainment industry dont know that its going to happen.

I'm just saying that she got into it very young, probably through 'Pushy Parents' and has had to grow up under the microscope of the media.

I always think its sad when a marriage breaks up, and I have a lot of sympathy for her.

Even if you weren't happy, its not easy and you feel a little bit of a failure.

You can times that feeling by a million if its on the front of magazines and papers everywhere you go.

She's only human, folks. How about a little bit of understanding?

I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears but at least i've said it.

Its not a funny or witty comment but i feel genuine compassion for her and the world would be a much better place if we all did that for each other.

I'll get my coat and call my taxi now.

24. Marc

I'm confused...

I live in the US... above-ground, in real housing [ie: no rocks]... and don't have any [diagnosed] social disorders. How is it I have I lived most of my wonderful 20's through Brit's exciting career, and have little recollection of ever hearing her music after that annoyingly catchy, "oops I did it again" song bombarded us?

I want to know who these people are that bump the music up the charts! Soulja Boy, WHO?!! This is seriously the first time I've heard of this person.

25. ryan

@buckie

why cant you JUST LEAVE ANONYMOUS VULTURE ALONE!!!!!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

RE: Good Grief

"Britney's crusty snatch would have put anybody off"

spat my coffee out!

This topic is closed for new posts.