back to article Privacy chiefs define 'data processor' and 'data controller'

Europe's privacy watchdogs have outlined exactly what the meanings are of the two terms on which the whole EU Data Protection Directive hangs. It said that organisations need more guidance now because of the complexity of modern business. The Data Protection Directive governs how organisations can treat anything deemed as ' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Jones 1
    Unhappy

Can We Have that again in English?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/unhappy_32.png

No wonder the earlier attempts at clarity failed if this is the best they can do at a second attempt! Or is this an effort to confuse the yanks and their efforts to mine, oops sorry process OUR data?

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

So Chief Constables are Data Controllers

Handy to know when one of their plod passes on something they trawled off a PNC check.

3. dephormation.org.uk
    Grenade

Meh.

Yes, but all this doesn't apply in the UK does it?

Because we have the Information Commissioner's Office to thank for our data protection law enforcement, and they're rubbish. They never act against Data Controllers *or* Data Processors.

The ICO claim they are 'not technical experts' and cannot comprehend the IT industry they are supposed to govern. They rely on 'assurances' from industry and 'independent experts' like me as a substitute for independent critical and robust regulation.

So the problem is not arguing the toss over the distinctions between black and white for these idiots. The problem is the people enforcing the law; the ICO need to be completely purged.

I have a quick fix. Catch this ICO.

4. Alfred 2
    Unhappy

N wiser

Read the thing and I'm no wiser.

I agree that the ICO needs to take more action against Data controllers, particularly the big companies that seem to scare the Commissioner off with threats of expensive lawyers. Just my opinion.

This topic is closed for new posts.