back to article Schmidt defends Google Buzz despite tweaks aplenty

Google boss Eric Schmidt admitted yesterday that the company misjudged public reaction to its decision to automatically load its Twitter, Facebook-like Buzz service into Gmail. Mountain View has been forced in the past few days to tinker with Buzz several times in an effort to offset an ugly tirade of criticism levelled at the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Apologies Rejected

Google's apologies are worthless.

Their goal is to compete with Facebook. The only way to do that is through swift, widespread adoption of their service. And the best way to do that is to inflict it unilaterally on all of the gmail users, most of whom will go along with anything Googlie.

The understandable, and completely predictable outrage from a vocal minority is nothing compared to the scheme's successful, overnight market penetration.

Success no longer comes from pleasing the users; it comes from aggressive marketing.

2. Gannon (J.) Dick
    FAIL

No shark jumping here, move along.

"I think it was our fault that we did not communicate that fact very well, but the important thing is that no really bad stuff happens in the sense that nobody's personal information was disclosed."

Thanks, SchmidtHead, "We" dodged another bullet, didn't "We".

3. nichomach
    Flame

So...

He says "...and people thought that somehow we were publishing their email addresses and private information, which was not true,", whereas you note "At launch, Buzz revealed people’s email addresses and most popular contacts by default, because Google had set the service to automatically opt-in its users.". So Schmidt flat outright lied. No "difference of interpretation", no "misunderstanding", no "miscommunication", he lied. Through. His. Teeth. And is still doing it.

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

GCHQ Calls on Washington DC ....... and the Pentagon

Maybe Google Buzz is Fort Meade Top Heavy? It is certainly not Internet Cloud Savvy ...... which Presents and Opportunity for SMART Edutainment and Virtual Education.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

In denial

They may think it was much a do about nothing but I reckon now their cards are on the table it will come back to haunt them.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Well, Dr. Schmidt

Dr. Eric "Privacy" Schmidt, I don't believe a single word you're saying. If you try to tell me that a company like Google, with all its billions of cash, can not do sufficient testing in their product marketing department, then sorry - I don't believe you.

Take all your crap and try it to sell to someone else. I am done with Google.

7. Jon 66
    FAIL

Buzz off

I just disabled it in my gmail account straight away without being particularly arsed to find out what it was.

Good to know I'm not missing anything in the least bit useful.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

It's official...

Schmidt is the new Zuckerberg.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like