back to article Brazil braces for TV soap-induced blackout

Brazil's power generators are on Defcon red in anticipation of a whopping power surge at the end of hit soap opera Tropical Paradise, which could theoretically blackout the entire country should the flow of juice prove inadequate. According to AP, TV Globo says 90 per cent of the nation's TV viewers will be glued to their sets …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or...

...both.

2. Dillon Pyron

The reverse also applies

My father-in-law is a retired power EE. One of the things he has always stressed is that power generation likes things to stay the same. Yes, they are worried about everybody suddenly turning on a couple of 100 watt lights. But what happens when everybody turns off their 200 watt TVs? The generators unload, which is a BAD THING. This can cause protection to switch and the next thing you know, it's the Eastern Seaboard, all over again. Some of that was due to overload, some of it was due to runaway.

But I really don't think anything will happen.

3. paul

it could be worse...

we could tune in every week to find out novel ways to use an electro magnet, or, to find out whether the PFY is still stuck in the elevator (etc etc)...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

South American TV programmes

are made with the sole purpose of making North American programmes look good, in fact even better than good. Just catching a glimpse of one while flipping channels will numb all senses to the extent that you are compelled to watch. Not out of choice but because you lose the will to live and your thumb just won't, no matter how hard you try, press that button to move on to the next channel. In comparison Ulysses had it easy. By the time they get onto the inane game/light entertainment shows you are too drained to appreciate the obligatory scantily clad buxom wenches that adorn those programmes.

5. amanfromMars Silver badge

Rabid Media or Purple Cash Cow.

It makes East Enders look a bit tame ... "do you think Teresa the mulatta slave girl will eventually succumb to the charms of Jose, the cruel yet devilishly handsome son of the sugar plantation owner, or will he sensationally reveal that they are in fact brother and sister after his father's dalliance with Dolores the feisty housemaid?"..... or is it just the same only different.

What happens after the Watershed? Is IT XXXXAgeRated?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tea drinkers

lukily they wont all be heading to the kitchen to turn on thier 2KW kettles..as for the UK well thats a different ermm.. you know what, of fish..

7. andy gibson

Defcon red?

I thought Defcon the defcon range was numeric?

8. Chris

re: Rabid Media or Purple Cash Cow.

no need for watershed in Brazil, as any female that is remotely attractive is plastered all over the local playboy shortly thereafter. and yes, this includes children's tv presenters and the local version of ol' spritney bears.

not to mention the huuge billboards on the side of the roads advertising said 'reading' material.

brilliant country to live in!

9. Paul

re: Rabid Media or Purple Cash Cow.

Is it just me or did amanfromMars actually make a literate comment? It nearly made sense...

10. Richard

@Paul

You're right - it made sense - I hope he's OK and not gone crazy (or is that sane?) ....

11. Daniel Winstone

Amanfrommars making sense.

More and more of his comments I'm beginning to understand, I no longer have to read the post four times before I realise it's nonsense, now this one and a couple I read before are making sense on the first read.

Should I be worried?

Atleast I'm in the company of Paul and Richard. Get the beers in guys.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

aha

SO you are a human! amanfrommars is human everybody get him.

This topic is closed for new posts.