back to article Imperial calls on SGI super for answers to big questions

Imperial College London, one of the UK's few world-class universities, has beefed up its HPC capabilities with an SGI supercomputer, the Altix ICE 8200 EX. Neither party has disclosed the price or size of the set up, so over to SGI to explain what the installation will do. The supercomputer is to become Imperial's high-end …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nigel Whitfield.
    Joke

Presumably ...

the building for the new academic supercomputer will be known as Hector's House

2. h 6
    FAIL

The School

Sure is better than University College. And anyway what is it really, a university or a college?

It's like saying I'm going for a ride in my automobile car. Or going to the pub for drinking beer ale.

1. SJB
      FAIL

Re: The School

Though one might say this is a better state to be in than "Imperial College" which suddenly has started claiming to be a University...

3. Captain TickTock
    Coat

Silly old Hector...

indeed.

Mine's the one with the ladder, the cat and the frog in the pocket

4. dreamingspire
    Happy

43 years ago

Simulations... Manchester University Atlas running design simulation for ICL 1904A, input on paper tape to an editor that kept the main file on mag tape, 40 minutes to compile, ran quite quick (once the model of the CPU was complete it was run at 30 simulated instructions per sec). Govt grant to fund it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like