back to article James Cameron poised to make Fantastic Voyage

20th Century Fox is moving forward with plans to remake 1966 sci-fi movie Fantastic Voyage, with James Cameron on board as producer and pensmith Shane Salerno (Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem) tasked with adapting the original. Fox has yet to appoint a director for the project. According to Variety, Roland Emmerich was linked to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I recommend

Megan Fox for Rachel's job

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Won't be the same...

,,,without Raquel in a wetsuit. Ah, the boyhood mammary memories...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mmmm...Raquel Welch

That is all.

4. Simon Buttress
    FAIL

Straight from the horse's mouth it is then

Reading between the lines Cameron is saying that the first one is just CGI with no storyline to speak of but is designed to be a "wow, look at these graphics" movie and the storyline only appears in the second.

Fail.

5. hugo tyson
    FAIL

How does the cost of making it matter?

I saw Cameron talking about Avatar on breakfast TV this morning, and to my astonishment he asserted that though the film cost a huge amount to make, the ticket price remained the same, so we should all go and see it because it's such good value for money. What a wanker.

Get the DVD of Dead Snow and watch that instead. What's not to love?

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Nooo!!!!!.....

Can't they come up with something original instead of ruining classics?

7. Dave 64 Silver badge
    Flame

FFS....

...will somebody please make an original film that isn't a remake of a previous version or a re-imagining of something that's already appeared as a TV series or comic.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A side fact

Weta, the CG house that did a lot of the stuff for Avatar, had to double the number of cores in their rendering farm just to make this movie. Seems it stressed their processors a lot more than some of their previous works (LoTR, King Kong). That's why they have 5 place in the Top 500 supercomputer list from 193-197

193 WETA Digital

New Zealand Cluster Platform 3000 BL2x220, L54xx 2.5 Ghz, GigE / 2009

Hewlett-Packard 5936 31.53 59.36

194 WETA Digital

195 WETA Digital

196 WETA Digital

197 WETA Digital

9. Dan 10

So....

can anyone tell us whether Avatar is any good?

1. David Evans

Re: So....

Reviews are embargoed until Monday, but the Guardian have hinted that its pretty good. I'll watch it in 3D for the eye-candy but even without seeing it I'm struggling with the hackneyed plot ("Dances With Smurfs" indeed).

10. Flenser
    FAIL

Too late

Nothing is going to top The Mighty Boosh's take on Fantastic Voyage surely?

11. Sheepdog
    Pirate

Stock footage

Re-using the same CGI items in other films? That is definitely going to be a nerds game isn't it trying to spot that. Wilhelm scream anyone.

The thought of that Titanic scene (you know the one) re-created in the human body is amusing me now :-)

12. andy gibson

already re-made

Anyone remember "Innerspace"?

1. Jay Castle
      Happy

I loved that movie!

Gotta get a copy and watch it this weekend - thanks for reminding me of it!

13. DZ-Jay

What?

Cameron said: “When I pitched it to Fox, they said, ‘We’ve spent a lot of money creating all these assets, all these CG mountains, plants, trees, leaves, flowers, bugs’ - everything you saw up there on screen had been made by people at workstations over a period of years and so they have value."

Wait, is he talking about Avatar II or Fantastic Voyage? If the former, fine. If the latter, I fail to see how CG mountains, flowers and bugs can be re-used on a setting within the human body. Well, the bugs, I guess, may work, but trees?

-dZ.

14. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Down

Why, oh, why...

...couldn't Osama Bin Laden have laid a couple of planes on Hollywood?

15. Mike Moyle
    Coat

Re: I Recommend

Forget Megan Fox; Racquel still looks pretty damned good.

...and could be the first REAL reason to go see a 3-D movie...! <Bloodnock>NgAAARRRrrrrr...!</Bloodnock>

1. unitron
      Coat

Re: R.W.

Actually the 2 first real reasons to go see a 3-D movie.

Mine's the one with the "Fantastic Voyage" spoof issue of Mad magazine in the pocket.

The one with the line about the anti-bodies not being anti her body.

16. Jack
    Troll

Remake? Duh!

Why waste time and money using CGI assets on small stake stuff like movies when you can jump right to an MMO?

17. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

Charlie Brooker once said...

Charlie Brooker once said that films are crap just games. Seeing as Cameron's films seem to be made using the same tech as a lot current gen big budget games I think Brooker must be right!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Jessica Alba

could stand in for Raquel Welch even better than Megan Fox could. Ms. Alba in a bikini is the only reason (but a pretty good one) to watch "Into the Blue"! Marissa Miller would also be an excellent choice if she wants to do the bikini-model-to-screen-actress thing in the remake.

Paris, because, well, she might work in the remake as well. If not in Raquel Welch's place as mission eyecandy, we could tweak the plot of the movie a little so the mini-sub's mission is to restore full brain function to a certain blonde celebutante!! :)

19. jon 72
    Alert

Tip of the Iceberg

Akira, Conan, Cowboy Bebop, The Crazies, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dune, Escape from New York, Flash Gordon, Forbidden Planet, Ghost in the Shell 3-D, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Judge Dredd, Red Sonja, Robocop 3-D, Short Circuit, They Live, Total Recall, When Worlds Collide, X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes

All these are currently in production (again), release dates slated for 2011 / 2012

Other ones to watch out for.. Tron II, The Black Hole, Alien The Prequel and Enders Game.

Flash Traffic: - Ghostbusters III - Sigourney Weaver claims to have been offered a role

1. Neoc

You are forgetting

... "Space Cruiser Yamato", due to be release in December 2010. Let's hope it'll be better than the abomination the "Starblazers" movie was going to be (based on the aborted scripts).

Now, off to dig out my "Mutronics" and "Guyver: Dark Hero" DVDs.

20. Tony Paulazzo
    Grenade

Tip of the Iceberg 2

Hey, if they're all gonna be in 3D that's froody cool, but ghost in shell / akira just need to be converted, not remade, they're perfect as is, unlike the recent klaatu starring what's his name, which was simply awful - and that kid, grr...

Also, anyone other than Megan Fox, like someone who can act, no problem with J Alba, eye candy with the ability to actually emote.

One question, how can Hollywood be making so many movies when the pirate industry is sucking the life out of them?

A picture speaks a thousand words.

21. Max_Normal

Why don't they make a brilliant Sci-fi that has not already been made.

Like Larry Nivens Ringworld, an Ian M Banks movie such as Consider Phlebas or Hothouse by Brian Aldiss. All of these would make mindblowing movies.

Why bother doing Lost in Space, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes countless sub-standard Alien remakes etc etc? None of them are remotely as good as the original (although have not seen the new trekkie movie yet). Anyway they kind of did the crappy remake already with 'inner space' didn't they?

This topic is closed for new posts.