back to article Catholics slam PETA nude adopt-a-mutt poster

The Catholic League has fired a broadside against animal rights outfit PETA after the campaigning organisation decided to ask Playboy model and Dancing With The Stars contestant Joanna Krupa to whip off her kit in defence of homeless mutts: Joanna Krupa's PETA poster The image - which clearly demonstrates Krupa sports no …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Err...

Who'd o' thought that would cause any offence.

Anyway, I thought PETA were also anti-pet.

2. Simon Harris
    Linux

Obviously no fur...

... but how many birds did they have to pluck for those wings?

Penguin - it has feathers and can't fly either!

3. Shamalam
    FAIL

Irony

"Those who support this organization sorely need a reality check."

but the catholic church doesn't?

4. Flugal
    Thumb Up

Peta

Never been a fan of Peta, but I applaud them for annoying the catholic church.

I will take off my leather shoes for a few minutes in deference to Peta's cause. And then put them back on for the sake of my colleagues.

1. Piro Silver badge
      Happy

Just that really

PETA are dicks, but the Catholic church is worse, and somewhere in the middle we get a picture of an almost naked woman.

Can't say I'm upset...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is that

What passes for an impartial interviewer in the states??

Talk about pushing your own agenda. Some people will go a long way to make sure they are offended on someone else's behalf by something that another person says or does.

1. peyton?
      Unhappy

I agree, he's not impartial

Here in the States, I'm pretty sure we don't have any news channels that offer straight-forward news, sans agenda, 24/7. Some are more up-front than others in having hours of "news" and hours of "editorial". This guy indicated he's on a call-in show, so he falls into the latter category, I think.

Unfortunate, but our news has to win over advertisers the same as any other show, and to do that, they've got to create a loyal following. Presenting plain, unadulterated information all the time just doesn't cut it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Two sides of the same sick insane coin

Its really hard to tell which is the sicker organisation of these two. Both are insane, both have shown thet they will do anything they can to get there will. They both have insane and ridiculous world views. But at the end of the day the religious nuts have been around a lot longer and have made a lot more people suffer than PETA can over the next 1000 years. Outlaw PETA and exterminate Catholics and other religious mafias

1. rciafardone
      FAIL

Actually i wow for your extermination Anonimous coward...

Because is exactly such a mind set that started the things that you say you hate so much about catholics: intolerance.

Obviously you a wuss or troll otherwise you would add at least your name.

7. H2Nick

STFU

After recent reports that their Irish branch protected dozens of paedos masquerading as priests, they should just STFU & get their own house in order.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6662086/Catholic-Church-in-Ireland-given-immunity-for-child-sexual-abuse-cover-up-report-says.html

8. Stu
    FAIL

Religious scum

<Quote> They dont go to church over christmas any more so they dont really count </QUOTE>

Brilliant line! I thought people in church were meant to be great listeners- he should have been the first type of person I would expect to respect the opinions of others and not dismiss them because they dont go to church, they don't 'count' apparently.

I stopped watching the vid after he said that, suffice it to say, WOW, nice posters!

1. The Indomitable Gall

Calm down.

The guy's point was that some people who are not catholics -- catholics being people who pray in big churches and believe wine is blood -- call themselves catholics almost as though it is a nationality. It's not -- it's a way of life. If you don't live that way of life, how can you be a catholic?

His implication was that the "catholics" PETAburd mentioned probably fall into this category.

9. Sludge

I'm sure...

... there's a pussy joke in there somewhere.

10. Rob
    Coat

Gotta be said

I can't afford to buy Ms Krupa but I'd quite happily adopt her.

Mine's the fur one with burgers in the pockets (in your eye PETA)

1. Dale Richards
      Coat

Re: Gotta be said

Fur burgers? Never mind PETA's eye - I've just gone blind!

2. lpopman
      Coat

stupid title thingy

so they'd be fur burgers then

11. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Hmmm.

I wonder how many geese they killed and plucked to make those wings?

Mine's the photoshopped mink coat.

12. The BigYin

It always depresses me...

...the way organisations like PETA and donkey sanctuaries get more support and media coverage that human-focused charities. They appear to have forgotten that humans are also animals (stemming from the same common ancestor that gave us chimps and gorillas etc - had to put that in to wind up the Catholics! :o) )

1. Cynical Observer

Winding who up?

It's not Catholics who have a problem with evolution

http://atheism.about.com/od/popejohnpaulii/a/evolution.htm

You may be thinking of one or more of the American organisations that has a record of embracing scientific thinking so readily (not!)

As to support for human focused charities - wholeheartedly agree. While there's a disadvantaged child here in the UK or anywhere for that matter; while cancer care is still necessary then PETA (and RSPCA etc) can go whistle (Suppose the dogs will come running)

But the fact that seems to have slipped by is that many of those charities operating in the developing countries have their origins in religious organisations. (Or should we not mention that bit?)

2. The Indomitable Gall

Sorry pal...

Last I knew, the catholic church was not a creationist entity and accepted the idea of evolution. You can't offend a catholic by saying humans are descended from monkeys, cos to a catholic that's all part of God's grand design.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For some reason..

..I misread that as "donkey sandwiches"..

4. Richard 102

About animal charities

"organisations like PETA and donkey sanctuaries get more support and media coverage that human-focused charities"

I hear what you're saying, but I am pretty much fed up with charities. Very little of the money goes to the problems they allegedly are solving; most (if not all) goes to salary, staff, benefits, expenses, and advertisements. Remember, the primary function of a charity is to raise money. And if you say "No, thanks", they try to make you feel guilty. Well, I grew up Catholic; amateurs like the charity beggars can't make me feel guilty after all these years.

Now, having said that, I quit giving to human charities, unless they promise the spaying and neutering of politicians, or if they provide scholarships to the children of fallen soldiers, policemen, or firemen. (And even then, I want to see the financial reports.) The main reason is that, when I did help, I never got a thank you. All I got was "I need more! It's unfair!" Now, my wife and I foster dogs for a couple local shelters. Believe me, those dogs know how to say thank you. It is only through an iron will and constant focus that we haven't kept all of them. So I got no problem helping dogs over people. The more I see of people, the more I like dogs.

13. adnim

roflmao

Obviously this is just provocative marketing in order to raise a few hackles and increase publicity.

Still it caused offense to the catholic church, so it's not all bad.

As for a pussy joke, there are no pussies only dogs in that image and being a pussy lover I am a bit peeved about it.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who to fear most...

...the pope ot the USDA?

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/12/peta-classified-terrorist-threat.php

15. Mark Jan

Try a different symbol

If using religious symbols like this is OK, why don't they use the crescent moon and star symbol of Islam? Crescent moon pointing down would look good on the boobs, and the star would do the rest of the job...

Can you imagine the reaction though!

The model would not be safe for the rest of her life (which would probably slightly impinge on her career and social life) and PETA's offices would be fire-bombed.

The Christian symbol and the Catholic Church is an easy target.

16. Evil_Trev
    Happy

Go PETA GO

Two wins here

1. Annoyed the Catholics

2. Got a good looking bird to get her kit off

17. John Savard

Feathers...

No fur, but I hope the wings used only faux feathers... but they probably were; it looks like they were made from wool, or, better yet, cotton, so probably no chickens were harmed.

18. Marvin the Martian
    Flame

Which of the two sides is sicker, Jacky?

I dunno, there's 3 sides, Bob. There's the deluded and mildly annoying PETA (deluded into thinking their appeals will convert anyone, just preaching to the choir; annoying if you're a fur-carrying celeb but otherwise unintrusive); there the vastly criminal catholic church (no point arguing or expounding); and there's this incredibly perverse CNN. Back to the studio for analysis by Dr. Dweeb.

Hurray, see mass killing and destruction and barbarism (they only became a global news byword in the 1991 gulf war), get the kids out to see --- ludicrously obviously photoshopped poster with all modesty preserved by a crucifix: must apologise and fake outrage for minutes (but show it anyway). What happened to reporting news? I understand it's a lead-in for a very partial "debate," but how can you not get sick of this patronising? If a viewer is honestly offended, they're offended no matter how much "look away now" you say so they despise you for showing it anyway.

Are they equally outraged at every naughty (underwear) campaign sporting the cliche angel/devil (making sure to show as much as they get away with)? We should be told. Shown, preferably.

19. JaitcH
    Stop

Back in your pulpits, preachers.

I am fed up with some damn preacher telling ME what HE thinks I should see.

If his flock of sheep, as in spineless followers, want to follow what some Rome-based enterprise that's fine. But include me out. They already have their hands full keeping the preachers away from the little kids.

Given the problem with roaming, homeless pets PETA needs to use 'shock' tactics. I am upset with the positioning of the cross symbol. it is a little excessive, better that it was omitted.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Grow up.

Christian symbolism is associated with a Christian identity. It's rude to misappropriate or subvert someone's identity to your own ends -- at best it's putting words in people's mouths, at worst it's fraudulent misrepresentation. You wouldn't want PETA implying that they were endorsed by the GB Olympic team would you? They aren't, so they shouldn't. Why should they imply any divine mission if they're not endorsed by any organised religion? If they wanted to set up a "Church of Jesus Saviour of Puppies", that would be a different matter -- but they haven't, so they shouldn't be implying any religious whatjimidoobrit.

20. Seventh of 7th

God's Rottweiler

I can see her puppies.

21. Slartybardfast
    Happy

Atheist pwned by pretty girl

Well if the Catholic church had people like this taking their services I might even be tempted to go.

1. MeRp

In fact...

"Well if the Catholic church had people like this taking their services I might even be tempted to go."

According to the article, they do. The model in question claims to be a devout Catholic, which means that she has to go eat a bit of Jesus at least once a year.

22. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Unhappy

Not even a Catholic cross.

ISTR that one had a dead guy hanging from it.

23. Thomas 18
    Thumb Up

News Video

3 things I love about this video

1. How totally impartial the presenter is

2. The cheesy heavy metal playing in the background

3. How utterly mauled the PETA representative gets on the 95% execution rate issue

24. F MacIllFhinnein
    Pint

Disgraceful!

They should definitely take away that cross.

25. Christoph
    Boffin

What's the problem?

Lock them both in a room together and let them get on with it. Problem solved.

26. Paul Hates Handles
    Gates Horns

Evil organisation fights another evil organisation...

Hypocrites vs hypocrites. FIGHT!

My money'd be on the fatties in the Catholic league. They've eaten meat so they won't be weak and listless \o/

27. MarkS
    Paris Hilton

I agree with the church!!

They should remove the cross. Better view that way.

28. Steve Crook
    FAIL

PETA - Ha!

As I understand it PETA routinely exterminate the vast majority of the animals handed to them. So there won't be much chance of adopting one.... Better to hand your money to an organisation that actually spends time caring for and rehoming animals.

29. zanto

i agree with Mark

the catholic church is too soft a target for anyone looking for cheap publicity.

and speaking as someone who actually loves animals, PETA is a fraud. but then again so are greenpeace and other organizations who hoodwink intellectually insecure people into supporting them just to appear to be smart and kewl.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That poster is so photoshopped its stupid

but naked preety girls is always good.

31. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Practising catholic... my archangel!

"As a practicing Catholic" says naked model shown pressing herself against the symbol of Christ's sacrifice for the redemption of mankind....

She seems to have let her passion for go's lesser creatures (and better publicity?) get the better of her. Mind you she was hardly into dressing modestly to start with.

Its obviously all a photoshop stitchup - she'd catch her death dressed like that in most cathedrals.

Still PETA will be happy even if her parish preist isn't.

32. 1of10

media seeking

PETA is just another sad organisation that till today couldn’t find better way of communicating their views. Always resort to shock tactics of media seeking stunts which make them unimportant fundamentalist idiots.

How many US citizens are left abandoned by their own system and by their own families?

But hey!!! For some (if not most), pets are more important than people or close relatives…

But from 1 to 10 for the picture I would give a 8 coz the crux was carefully positioned in front of her attributes... otherwise this picture with playboy bunny would be worth mark 10.

33. Tanuki
    Thumb Down

Navis Stultifera.

Catholics and PETA: Two organisations who truly deserve each other.

After all, Nuns are what penguins turn into when they grow up!

Coat? the Popeskin one with the fur trimmings and the copy of the Malleus Maleficarum in the inside pocket.

1. Beelzeebub
      Flame

Hey

Gimme my book back!

OST, keep it, I have the master copy ;-)

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Mark Jan and all 'use cresent remarks'

It doesn't really fit the symbolism of angels really now does it.

Also to the catholic church who are offended by nudity, let not forget that I for one was born wearing levis and an iron maiden t shirt!!!

1. MeRp

@AC 15:04 GMT

"@Mark Jan and all 'use cresent remarks'

It doesn't really fit the symbolism of angels really now does it."

Apparently you are under the mistaken impression that Islam doesn't have angels... like the ones that carried Mohommed to Jerusalem or whatever.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah but

don't they have rocket belts rather than wings? Or something.

35. Nev
    Stop

PETA...

Those wacky, anti-pet owning, terrorist-supporting, mass-killers-of-animals are at it again.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

36. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

NSFW warning please

although I should have known really

37. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Catholics slam PETA nude adopt-a-mutt poster

PETA are indeed quite evil, but they are a) publicity geniuses b) quite correct in this campaign. Adopting is proper.

1. rciafardone
      FAIL

Indeed BUT...

Is show of complete lack of respect toward a particular faith byt using its symbols in such an inproper way. I dont mind myself but this was clearly aimed at disturbing specific groups in order to get even more publicity.

This is not right by a long shot.

38. Smelly Socks
    FAIL

Loud mouths

Bill Donohue is a one-man-band. This Catholic League nonsense is just a front for his froth-at-the-mouth rants. Have you not set him on /ignore?

-ss

39. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

PETA only ever go for easy targets

Christians, feeding children meat is child abuse, clebs in fur... etc

They never go for targets that might fight back .

Well PETA here's a challenge for you.

Put a poster stating halal is terrorism with picture of a bleeding goat outside the Finsbury Park mosque and lets see what sort of response you get?

No?

Chicken! (preferred southern fried)

AC as I should be working.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't forget...

Wasn't it PETA that did the staggeringly offensive "Got Autism?" posters in the US? Suggesting that drinking cows milk gives you Autism and that you basically deserve it if you've got it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Alert

Glad to be a PETAphobe

Jumped up muppets. Jeez she can't even string a few words together

40. ElReg!comments!Pierre

No fur?

"The image - which clearly demonstrates Krupa sports no fur whatsoever"

I'm sorry I have to disagree with you on this one. The image merely "demonstrates" that Krupa sports almost no fur. The missing, erm bits of, erm, information might be documented elsewhere though, but I'm at work so I will refrain from investigating that crucial matter for now...

41. OffBeatMammal
    Coat

Didn't the church steal the cross in the first place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_cross

and I always thought PETA stood for People Eating Tasty Animals.... Im going to refrain from further comment ;)

42. Cole 1
    Stop

To PeTA-haters:

"..They appear to have forgotten that humans are also animals.." in reference to PeTA et al getting more publicity than human-focused charities. Well, that may be true, though for every PeTA there are likely what, thousands of charities for impoverished/etc humans?

It seems lately that I've had to go on the defense for PeTA, while I don't really even like them (too abrasive and are a bunch of attention grubbers). There are a lot of reasons to criticise PeTA but this whole mess about PeTA euthanising 95% of the pets it takes in is and always has been a hit job by the industry groups directly opposed to PeTA.

The animals the PeTA takes in are the worst-off, most-abused and neglected cases. I have worked with shelter groups and rescues and, believe me, I have seen awful cases of abuse and neglect, cases which would make any person question what is wrong with humanity as a whole. PeTA are not euthanising your neighbor Bob's healthy cat. They're euthanising the poor dog taken from an ignorant ***hole who has left it chained outside its entire life and let it develop all sorts of disease and irreparable mental/physical damage. Giving it a painless release is doing it a bleeding service. Perhaps the only nice thing that's ever been done for it.

If you want to see some of the worst that humanity is capable of, go volunteer at an animal shelter for two weeks. I challenge you. It will change your life, if you've got a heart.

43. mafoo

Statistic:

US average rate of putting down animals: 50%

PETA rate of putting down animals: 80-95%

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

fail

Read the post from "cole 1" above.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

re: Fail

Sure, what more evidence do we need?

There are those who have claimed a rather different experience whilst volunteering with PETA -maybe they're making it up, but call me old-fashioned, but I don't necessarily believe the first bleeding heart tale on the Internet.

Anyway, PETA has provided financial support for the Animal Liberation Front and have likened the of animals to the Holocaust, so personally I don't think things are quite a black and white as some posters would like to make out...

44. DI_Wyman
    Paris Hilton

What a shame..

.......no sign of any beaver!

Paris? probably nice beaver!

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Cheap irreligious scams"? Talk about the pot...

Mr Donohue has a nerve - part from the fact that 99.99999% recurring of people don't give a damn what he thinks - if we want to discuss cheap irreligious scams we need look no further than the Church and organisations like his 'League'. Anyone remember ever voting for these self-appointed moral guardians?

I don't know if what Ms Krupa is doing is in good taste or not - but at least she's making an effort to make people think - rather than forbidding them to think, which is all people like Donahue ever seek to do.

Get a life Mr Donahue - and stop trying to run ours...

46. Bounty
    WTF?

multiple fail

AC/cole 1, how would PETA get animals that are in worse condition than the pound since they both pick up strays? Do you dispute the fact that they put down 80-95% ? I'm not sure I understand your positions. Fact is PETA puts down animals more than other similar organizations, this is their policy as they feel it is more humane. I don't see a big problem with that position, so I don't understand why people try to side step it. They shoud defend the position. I can't honestly say what % of animals I would put down if I ran a shelter, but they should defend their policy directly. Putting down animals is one of the few things PETA does that I may agree with.

P.S. I always like to mix getting a boner with stray animals.

47. Eugene Goodrich
    Paris Hilton

PETApocrisy

Google "PETA Kill Rate".

Then ask about angels.

(Paris, natch.)

48. Charles King
    WTF?

Donohue auditioning?

Was Bill Donohue auditioning for a slasher film?

His laugh at the end of the clip definitely looked like a play to get him cast in the next horror franchise.

"You kill lots of abused animals, ha ha hah. Ha ha ha ha ha!"

49. Deadlock Victim
    Joke

blarg

I'm sure Catholics would very much like to slam the model in that poster.

50. ThinkingOutLoud
    Paris Hilton

Symbols

This reminds me of a sketch by the late, great, Bill Hicks, where he likened Christians' wearing of the crucifix to JFK supporters wearing a handgun necklace... All the same, isn't it?

Paris because she must be pissed off at not getting this gig. Guess we've all seen her chihuahua by now.

51. Duncan Hothersall
    FAIL

That aint no crucifix

Crucifixes got a little bloke on them, innit. That ones just got teaspoons stuck on it or summink.

52. Paul RND*1000
    Thumb Up

OK so...

...PETA has some purpose after all.

Though they may not be too happy about what that picture makes me want to do to my monkey or my chicken.

53. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Agreed that PETA is dodgy

This is kind of post-Madonna (the pop singer) publicity, where basically any kind of publicity is good. Let's see, gratuitous nudity (though the model looks GREAT)--check. Gratuitous nudity used in conjunction with religious symbol that is bound to offend Christians of some flavor--check.

I am sure that PETA thinks they are basically "scamming for a higher good", but this whole ad was served up with drawing the kind of reaction (and therefore getting more publicity) than it otherwise would have.

54. SirTainleyBarking
    Grenade

Two ways of getting you point across

Either offend or engage.

PETA are just publicity whores who want to offend and shout their point across.

10/10 for the muff shot, but 0/10 for me wanting to engage with anything apart from my right hand.

Other similarly themed associations such as BUAV go out into unusual territory (Such as having a stand against animal testing at a cosmetics industry show, and ENGAGING with people and discussing their POV)

Who will have the better long term effect in achieving the aims? Well lets just say it won't be PETA, but doubtless they will try and take the credit

55. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

I'm amazed they have the time to pray.

God botherers spend so much time being offended I'm amazed they have time for anything else.

Big Brother, err I mean God is watching you.

56. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ignored the points

Completely aside from the fact that I find the advert in bad taste, did anyone notice that the lady from PETA completely sidestepped all questions directed at her? I mean she sounded like a broken record repeated the same lines over and over again.

anonymous to avoid getting personally flamed.

57. Goat Jam
    FAIL

hahaha

Down here in Australia, it is often *cheaper* to buy a pooch than it is to "adopt" one!

The RSPCA charges almost $300 "adoption fee" here, even for older dogs.

It's hardly encouraging adoption rates so maybe they just like putting animals down?

1. Tim Bates

Further maths required.

That ~$300 covers vet work required before releasing the dog to a new owner. Remember that they can't legally allow them out without chipping them, and their policy is to desex to avoid future unwanted animals. That alone would be over $200 worth from even a cheap vet.

On top of that, remember they also have operating costs, like food and power.

Buying one elsewhere still ends up needing the above desexing, chipping, etc.

58. Rattus Rattus

I found this poster to be absolutely shocking

because PETA are actually saying something sensible for once.

If you want to keep an animal, you should adopt it rather than buy one from a pet store, most pet store animals aren't kept in the best of conditions and many of the so-called breeders that supply the stores are worse. Buying from a store only provides financial incentive to keep this state of affairs going. My rats came from adoption and they've been a lot happier and healthier than any I've seen in a store.

Oh, yeah, nice bird, pity about the cross. At least it annoyed the Catholics though.

59. Peter Hood
    Paris Hilton

Faith vs puppiez

Well now, 'faiths' are nutty - face it, knowing is safer than believing, or we'd all go comet hunting - but Peta have proved themselves equally nutty... ...selling animal welfare with sex. Now wait a minute, I have a representative from the British government here, says she is sick and tired of being used as 'window dressing', name of Caroline Flint, with her friends Harman, Jowell et al... ...can they have a word about this page Zeee gurl?

What a fscked up world.

Paris, 'cos she was in a movie like this once.

60. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PETA SUCKS

http://omploader.org/vMndxbA

NSFW - PETA logo written in a dead rabbit font

61. The Grump
    Paris Hilton

PETA more believeable than Catholic Church

At least PETA is trying to do something to reduce animal suffering. and Cole1 is right - I have seen the work of these jack arses that like to set black cats of fire during Halloween. People that use dogs as burgular alarms, tied with tethers no longer than 3 foot, for all their lives. Crazy cat ladies who "collect" cats, but neglect them. and of course, Rotties trained from birth to attack anything that moves by f**king jerks who get off on it.

The Catholic church, after their "flat earth" program fell apart, and their "everything revolves around the earth" program failed, continue to preach about God answering prayers, another fail. Truest thing ever said about religeon: "God helps those who help themselves". Translation: don't depend on God for squat. If you don't make it happen, it's not gonna happen. Catholics do far more damage to people mentally than they can ever make up for with good works. At least PETA does something useful.

BTW, that picture would make a wonderful t-shirt, PETA. I would buy one. Probably would get me thrown out of Disneyworld, but I still want one. Paris, because she would have posed w/o the crucifix. Woo-hoo!

62. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

If the church is bashing the PETA ad...

I think I shall retaliate...

... by bashing the bishop

63. georgeclooneylookalike
    Grenade

Tough one...

Do I side with the pussy killers or the kiddy fiddlers? I thought the BBC were biased until I saw this guy. Remove the Catholic Church from the world and you've got 1/5th of the way of curing mankind...

64. Dale Morgan
    WTF?

Americans are scary

I find it shocking that people of faith are offended by a naked women, if god wanted us to wear clothes Id of been born with clothes on.

clothes were invented by man so a naked women should be less offensive than a fully clothed women.

Its also weired that the followers of the most barbaric religion mankind has invented think they have a right to talk about ethics

1. kerlmann

@ Dale Morgan

I don't think it's the naked women that Christians find offensive, but the juxtaposition of the cross on her nudity. It's certainly lacking taste and tact, although she has at least come out and said she's a practising Catholic, so not done entirely for the sake of 'art'.

PETA must be loving all the publicity.

2. SirTainleyBarking
      Boffin

Oh Really?

I thought clothes were invented so that humans didn't either freeze their collective asses off if they moved away from the African Savanna, or to save them being burned to a crisp if they stayed there

65. Equitas
    FAIL

Own goal

Come on, that's a cross, rather than a crucifix! However an organisation which attempts to use a Christian symbol in a quasi-blasphemous way clearly does NOT want or deserve support from Christians

66. IR

Better than the alternative

I think I prefer the naked woman with the cross rather than that bearded naked man who is usually lurking around on it.

67. Raving
    Happy

she appears “as a winged angel, covered by a carefully-placed crucifix.”

"she appears “as a winged angel, covered by a carefully-placed crucifix.” Once again, the target is pet stores. ...

Moreover, pet stores don’t rip off Christian iconography ..."

- Bill Donohue

68. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Even as an atheist I'm shocked and appalled by this imagery

It's sacrilege in this day and age to have such horrifyingly bad Photoshopping going on round her feet.

1. Jess--

@Mike Richards

they probably figured people wouldnt be looking too closely at what was around her feet

This topic is closed for new posts.