back to article Samsung N510 Nvidia Ion-based netbook

You don't have to dig too deep to see that the diversity of Samsung's netbook range is a case of flattering to deceive. Sure, there are plenty of them, but the differences are essentially peripheral and cosmetic with all bar the NC20 having 10.1in screens and the usual netbook-norm Intel Atom chippery. Samsung N510 Samsung's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Julian Smart

Glossy versus matte

If "glossy screens are better for watching video", then why aren't TVs glossy? Or maybe some are? Anyway, glad to see matte screens are back. Now they just need to get rid of the ridiculous nano particles on the keyboard (assuming they're still there).

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Flame

Mirror screens

"As always, opinion will de divided on this issue - glossy screens are better for watching video while matte screens are less reflective."

I have never come across any divided opinions on this. Even if you are watching video, unless you are in a dark room, all you can see is what is behind you reflected on the screen. Even if you are in a dark room, you have to be careful where you look otherwise you see your own reflection. (I don't want to see my reflection, there's a reason why I am always on the other side of the camera!)

Anti-reflection screens only give a lower resolution and image quality if the anti-reflection finish is because of a rough finish that would make a cowboy builder blush.

Samsung get my vote for not going with the mirror screen.

3. Duncan Hothersall
    Unhappy

1.5kg too heavy

and 11.6in too big. Netbooks (IMHO) should be computers you can carry around every day without concern, and use all day without running out of juice. No thanks.

4. forger
    FAIL

Full HD

Wake me up when a netbook with support for 1080p (and by that I mean a screen with that resolution) HD comes out with a reasonable price and battery life. I might be waiting a while but at the moment I'm not feeling the excitement of 720 HD

5. spencer
    FAIL

ION is lame

I always see comments on here asking why don't we see more ION products. Well this is the reason: look at the bars, the EEE 100HA beats it in Battery Life and is on par with this in every else and costs £80-100 less, all because they packed it with the stupid ION so people (idiots in my opinion) can watch HD content on a really small screen. completely pointless IMO

6. Anton Ivanov

The floodgates have opened

Well... Not entirely unexpected.

In fact classic Intel GMA based netbooks will probably go on fire sale from Xmas. I suspect Intel knew this one coming when they brought forward Atom 2 in such a haste. The writing is on the wall, selling a good CPU supported by an ancient chipset does not quite work.

The review misses a few points.

Nvidia does not only HD playback (in fact in a netbook HD playback is pretty much irrelevant because of the screen size). What it does and where its greatest advantage lies is the nearly perfect scaling and interpolation. It can scale SD including bog-standard DVDs to nearly perfect "buttery" HD res image in hardware. When the choice of video was between GMA and GMA it did not really matter. However, now there is a valid reason to do some mean opinion score comparison of SD scale-up performance.

7. James Hughes 1

Dont dismiss HD on small screen

It can look very good indeed. Yes, its small, but anything over 720x576 is higher resolution than a TV broadcast of only a few years ago. Even a phone display of 800x600 looks fantastic playing back even 720p video. Go up to 720p/1080p on a netbook, at say 1024x768 still results in a better quality image than normal def. Not as good as the HD native rez of course, but still pretty impressive, and very watchable.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price

At the moment, it's easy to pick up the N130 for around £230 - one place is doing £20. Although the N120 is going more, it's fairly easy to get it for at least £100 cheaper. Given El Reg's review of the NC10, I'm a bit surprised to see this review conclude "significantly better value than the firm's previous netbook efforts."

9. riCh chestMat
    FAIL

for that weight and size you can get a laptop

1.5Kg is too heavy. I got an Acer 1810TZ which is about as large but 1.4Kg with 1366 screen, HDMI, Dual Core, 3 GB RAM, 8 hours battery and proper Windows 7 - none of this Starter Edition rubbish. This cost me under £450 with delivery.

Anything Atom should be 1.4Kg or lighter or much cheaper for it.

About glossy TV screens... New LED TVs have glossy backlit screens. I'm loving the screen on my Acer so much I want a similar type to replace my desktop's monitor too.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Darnit!

*THIS* sounds like what I really wanted when I got a Dell Vostro 1220 back in the summer...! :-(

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's that flowchart?

I have here a machine with dimensions of 290 x 238 x (26.6 to 30.5) mm, weighing 1.63kg. (Compared to 289 x 199 x 26.5-30.3mm and weighing 1.5kg for the Samsung). The Dell C400 was definitely an ultra-portable when it was released back in '01 or whatever - is it now a netbook?

12. Duncan Watts

Sim card slot?

When are they going to bring out a netbook with a decent screen, decent gfx, decent battery and a build in sim card slot? I'm sure if i put a dongle into one of these it'll snap off within days...

13. David Simpson 1
    Thumb Down

DX11 ?

"It's worth noting that the Ion LE chip only supports DirectX 9, so if you decide to upgrade from XP to Windows 7, you aren't going to see any improvement in graphics performance."

Why would DX11 support improve performance ? DX11 gives you extra effects in games and I doubt the 9400m & Atom are going to be running many DX11 effect in full res games.

14. David Love

Solid performer, no surprises

I bought a N510 to replace my "ageing" but useful little NC10. I wanted ThinkPad build quality, matte screen, solid keyboard and - yes - XP. You can tell I'm over 25. The N510 does not disappoint. The LED screen is bright and pin sharp with significantly more real estate than its predecessor, plus a long haul battery with minimal weight penalty.

Business apps performance is fine and it's nice to be able to plug it into a big telly via HDMI and stream iPlayer.

The only downside was having to spend the first hour removing bloatware. Blimey, I'd hoped those days were over. Other than that, well done Samsung. 9/10.

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Why should I watch a 1080p movie on a screen that natively supports only 720p?

Duh.

16. Simon Langley

Glossy screens FTW

OK, under some circumstances, reflections on glossy screens can be annoying*. However the colour saturation on the glossy screens I have used tends to be much better and that matters to me, particularly for viewing photographs.

I opted for the glossy screen on my MacBook Pro and I'm glad I did. It's the best laptop screen I have ever used.

The ideal situation would be for manufacturers to offer a choice as Apple does. Neither is better, it just depends what you use them for.

* I live in Yorkshire and the sun only shines for a few days each year so it is rarely a problem up here.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like