back to article Twitter-based mafia game irritates world+dog

An annoying Twitter-based Mafia game is getting under the skin of users of the micro-blogging service, many of who would sooner it slept with the fishes. Mobster World is the Twitter equivalent of the Zombies application that used to be popular on Facebook. Most users come across the service via unsolicited direct messages …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Evans

On FB too...

Friendface has been taken over by gangsters and oddly enough farms recently.

I guess they need a source for the horses heads.

2. Rob 101

World+Dog...

Minus those of us who don't really see the point in twitter or the banal and pointless applications about for facebook etc.

I feel vindicated by the fact that this is the first I have heard of it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

[insert singing Vikings here]

Isn't this behaviour par for the course in pretty much any SocialMeeja(tm) game?

===

* Bob has caught e-coli from his farm. Who will look after his black sheep now?

* Wendy has scored 75 points playing PISSBAG on a triple word score!

* Mike drove his tractor through Bob's haystack last night. Oo-ar oo-ar!

* Terry just upgraded from the Ford Capri Laser to the Toyota Tercel. Join Terry in AutoFest!

===

etc., etc. ad infinitum, or at least until you click the, "Stop telling me about Bob's farm. I hope it goes on fire" button.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Morons!

So it's a social-netcrap version of chain-letters then? If you're freaking sad enough to have to tell the world about every tiny thing happening to you, while it happens, I think you have deeper issues to deal with!

This Twatter crap really goes to prove why the human race is only 34.7% evolved so far!

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Richard 102

Hm

Actually, I've seen some interesting uses of twitter. There is an improv comedy troupe here in town, IndyProv, which will sometimes accept suggestions over twitter, depending on the improv game that they're playing. A lot of stuff on there is junk, but you could say that about anything, really.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Richard 102

Sounds shit.

8. skuba*steve

MyFace

Has had this for a while now....

9. Roger Garner

What did you expect...

... its on twitter. Anything actually useful to the human race on there at all?

10. Mike VandeVelde
    Troll

fb...

facebook is actually useful, it has the critical mass to find connections you haven't even thought about for years and years. and since a large proportion of it's users have forgotten or never even knew about simple email, it becomes the main communication channel for a lot of people.

applications - no thanks. every time you see a status update from one of these, click hide and choose the application. then if 100 more of your friends take the "what will be the first letter of the name of the person you are going to marry and what does that say about your personality" quiz, you can remain blissfully unaware. any invites to join someone's "crew" - block the application, and never get another even if everyone you know ends up playing obsessively. the only thing missing is being able to hide them when you go and look at other people's profiles :(

once you get it down to a way to communicate with simple people, it's not that bad really, almost even useful.

peace.

oh and twitter - no matter how many dozens of times a day i hear it mentioned in print and on tv and online, i just can't seem to get motivated to lift a finger to find out anything more about it. no thanks. please let the hype die a slow and very painful death. irritates me way more than "mobe", or the lack of enough comment icons!

11. Chris Hills
    Unhappy

You don't say

3rd-party Facebook apps are shitty. I wish you could banish the lot of them.

12. Gio Ciampa

Facebook Lite

All the keeping in touch stuff... none of the games, etc

http://lite.facebook.com/

13. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

computer Mafia game, lets just start a computer FBI game and wipe the Mafia out

Play with fire, and you may get burned. Time for people to stop playing evil characters, or you may warp your behavior. Next it will be 'Play an Zombie, serial killer, etc.' These games are crap...

14. Big Al
    Thumb Up

@ Mike VandeVelde

Amen to all that!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like