back to article Canucks crack whip on Facebook privacy

Facebook has vowed to overhaul how personal information is shared with third-party applications after Canada's privacy Czar scolded the social website for its promiscuous policies. The site has also agreed to retrofit its privacy terms to better explain why Facebook collects personal data, make the distinction between …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James O'Brien
    Headmaster

Sorry Austin

"The changes Facebook lans to introduce"

"The changes Facebook plans to introduce"

Cheerio

2. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Down

I have a far simpler solution

DO

NOT

USE

3. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

The only way to be sure...

No, not nuking the site from orbit - though that sure is tempting! - but don't get on Farcebook in the first place.

Of course, the downside to that is you get some (half-)wit thinking it's funny to create a Profile in your name and put stupid stuff in there. Oh, the pleasures of living ina wold where (falsified) Information Wants To Be Free...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These are just sentiments

I am a commercial organisation with Shareholders who expect maximised profits. I am American. I have my servers located other than in Canada.

Why do I care what the Canuck regulators want or think?

Yes, in due course, if the changes help with presenting my service better and make it more acceptable then I'll make a plan and tell the world (as per standard marketing practise)

If the changes don't then - is that some long grass over there....?

I don't use social notworks but their security attitude still pervades thinking.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

facebook was forced.. otherwise would have done nothing

Facebook "plans" to introduce only after it has been forced by an entire nation with being shut down there.

Until companies give a damn about this kind of stuff themselves, they will do nothing.

Still wont install facebook apps, also treat any info i put on there as completely public... as no doubt a data breach at some point will make it so!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Go Canada!

If only the UK Information Commissioner had some real drive and finally hired staff with the technical qualifications necessary to regulate personal data in the modern age instead of just a bunch of former coppers and useless admin staff then perhaps we would have thic kind of scrutiny of things like facebook here... instead ours sits on his hands and seems to think there are no issues with technologies like PHORM!!!!

hand grenade because maybe if some one tossed one into the IC office they might all wake up a bit and start doing their job properly!

7. Hermes (nine inch) Conran
    Grenade

to paraphrase;

"Privacy is an old man's concern" Bitch!

8. DavCrav

Pay tribute

" "People should have a better way to provide meaningful consent to have their account 'memorialized' after their death. As such, Facebook should be clear in its privacy policy that it will keep a user's profile online after death so that friends can post comments and pay tribute," the office said."

Really? Pay tribute on your wall? Something like 'zOMG!!11 just herd u r ded!!111 get well soon'?

9. northern monkey
    Thumb Down

I can't stand...

...these posthumous tributes. I recall one (I think it was for the brother of a footballer) which said "Maths lessons were no good without you" - what kind of tribute is that, poor boy!

That said if (sorry, when) I die and it turns out the big white man in the sky isn't actually just a character in a piece of widely read fiction (I doubt I'd get through the gates tbh, I've done several things God would be displeased by) I'll be hoping for some decent tributes.

10. Rob
    FAIL

Pay tribute or....

.... make it easier to finger an indentity to abuse fro fruadulant purposes because the person is dead.

11. El Richard Thomas

In line with El Reg policy

Subtitle should have been "Facebook becomes Canadian government's, bitch!"

12. Count Ludwig
    Coat

Facebook can land you in jail...

"A significant part of our roll out plan will involve educating users about why they should allow applications access to their information and their friends'" said the Facebook suit

Well, this is educational:- "Facebook 'Friend' request lands man in Jail"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/04/facebook_friend_request_jail-time/

... and plenty of other examples on Google.

Need my coat coz it's chillin', and not in a good way..

13. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Flame

@MIS and AC

Should we also get off your lawns?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From the "Nanny can legislate abosulutely everything department"

People who use social networking sites deserve all the privacy the internet affords them ;)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC ref: These are just sentiments

"Why do I care what the Canuck regulators want or think?"

Because, sooner or later, in your jurisdiction, some officious little bureaucrat, in the global race to out do other officious bureaucrats elsewhere on the planet to regulate what they can't ban, will bring in even more laws to make everyone "safer". What a relief.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like