back to article BBC confirms Doctor Who series five

The BBC has announced there will be a fifth series of Doctor Who, although it won't be until 2010 and David Tennant is doubtful to reprise his role as the Time Lord. Tennant is off to play Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company from July to November next year, thereby effectively putting the kybosh on a 2009 outing. Series …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm...

I wonder if this might have anything to do with the amount of negative feedback on the casting of one C Tate? Maybe the BBC are reconsidering their strategy bearing in mind the persistent rumours about David Tennant leaving.

Personally if RTD did go and Steven Moffat came in I think the standard of writing would improve dramatically.

If they're not going to give Alan Rickman the job when DT goes then they might as well give it to me :-)

2. Chad H.

I Hope RTD goes.

Dont get me wrong the current batch of WHo are good, but they arent Douglas-Adams-Script-Editor era good. I think the problem clearly is RTD doesnt know how to write a cliffhanger.

Look at the few that he does do, somehow, magicly, in the non viewing time, the whole cliffhanger problem is resolved... Almost as if it didnt happen.

New Writer, New blood!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tardis

"Reports suggest Tennant is off to play Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company from July to November next year"

Can't he travel back in time, and do both?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good.....

Dr Who should go on...... its a tradition

Red Dwarf.........I mean comon' a new series of that wouldn't go amiss!!

And whats going on with the Red Dwarf film? could you have a rumage REG???

5. Joerg

They should have got Kylie Minogue for the whole season instead...

..not just for the XMas special episode. If the new season features Kylie Minogue as a cast regular it would have been a smash hit.

6. The Mighty Spang

Royal Stuntcasting Company

bah. cancel any lottery money and grants they have.

David Thewlis for Dr, Alan Rickman for the Master... i'd watch that.

7. Leo Davidson

Kids' show

Why is The Register reporting when a kids' show will return to the screens? Can we all look forward to being kept up-to-date with similar vital information such as when the Tellytubbies repeats are on?

Sigh.

8. Andrew Bush

I still want Eddie Izzard

I can't help thinking about our Eddie each time rumours of a new Doctor are abound. The Doctor in a dress and high heels - classic. And they wouldn't have the 'assistant' mooning over the Doctor all the time, that's so boring. There's something about a beard and lipstick which is entirely un-kissable.

9. Bob bob

10 down 2 to go...

It will be interesting to see how they get around the regeneration problem. Though the master did it so the doctor shouldn't have too much trouble.

10. Mike C

More than 1 episode with the singhing budgie...

you must be joking...

the only thing getting smashed would be me...

ohh the agony of putting up with that grating female........

11. Dillon Pyron

Kylie who?

Who is she? Anybody I should know or just some obscure Brit actor?

12. R

Red Dwarf.........I mean comon' a new series of that wouldn't go amiss!!

I assume you didn't see series 7 and 8.

13. Martin Budden Silver badge

new assistant?

As soon as they ditch Catherine Tate I'll be happy.

14. Gordon Ross Silver badge

Dr Who Yes, Paris Hilton, NO.

Dr Who is a family Sci-Fi series, and about the only current Sci-Fi series made in the UK of any note. IT Professionals/Geeks generally like a good bit of Sci-Fi, so I don't mind El Reg reporting on Dr. Who. (OK, I *like* El Reg reporting on Dr Who)

However, I do object to El Reg reporting on other "Entertainment" that has no bearing on IT/Geeks e.g. Paris "I'm famous for being famous & having a rich daddy" Hilton, Big "I want my 15 minutes of fame now" Brother, etc.

15. Josh

My favourite script editor...

... Is Robert Holmes.

I wouldn't mind Hugh Laurie as the new Doctor. But why is it put off until '10? :S

16. Mr Larrington

New Doctor

Am I the only person in the entire world who thinks that the next Doctor should be:

1. a woman, and

2. played by Kathy Burke

??

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Kathy Burke

If chosen, I'd like to hear her say "Do you mind! I am smoking a fag."

18. Paul R

Series 5?

Err, what? So the many many series that I watched as a kid, and even from before I was born (the old black and whites), what were they?

Oh, and Red Dwarf, yes, please bring that back BBC, it was one of the most original Sci-Fi comedies around (and yes, I did enjoy series 7 and 8). Either do the movie or abandon it and get on with series 9.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: I still want Eddie Izzard

Yeah! Eddie Izzard should be the new Doctor :-) (seriously - I've always been a fan of his, and he's definitely come of age as an actor IMO) - David Thewlis would be a credible alternative, having thought about it for a bit, and Alan Rickman as The Master is just pure genius ...

Sometimes it's a real drag having grown up in the era of Valentine Dyall, Tom Baker and Douglas Adams-penned scripts.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flame bait

If the Doctor was a woman, wouldn't she have to be called Nurse?

21. Nick Pettefar

A Black Dr.Who

Would be good. How about Andi Peters from CBBC?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Series 5?

Series 31 then. Let's all be pointlessly pedantic!

Seasons 7 and 8 of Red Dwarf were useless... 3-5 were its prime.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: A Black Dr.Who

"How about Andi Peters from CBBC?"

Chris Eubank? :-)

OK, so he's not an actor but his 'eccentricity', affected or not, is definitely in character. Besides, nobody will want to pick a fight with him, will they?

I'll get me coat ...

24. Lloyd

Chris Eubank

And his time travelling truck.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Andi Peters

"How about Andi Peters from CBBC?"

no, because he is a camp twat

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem with RTD is....

that he seems to think the WHO in DR WHO means that he is unsure of his sexuality, im sick to death of seeing episode after episode where theres some hint of rtd's sexuality come through, it shouldnt be about hetro, homo or bi sexual topic, its sci fi, same with bloody torchwood, why does he have to try and make a series adult by basically having everyone snog one another. Its like hes on a mission to turn the human race into bisexuals!!!! get rid of him and get some none sexual scifi stories going on :) Dr Who was never about any of that to begin with!!!

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My pick for the next doctor would be..

..Ade Edmonson.

When he packs it in get Rick Mayel in to replace him - the look of horror on his face when he looks in the mirror after his regeneration would be worth the licence fee alone.

28. AJH

RE: My favourite script editor...

Let me guess... you're this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg6UcEn9hyI

;-)

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unknown actor

Forget getting someone like Hugh Laurie,

We want someone like Tom Baker, who was an unknown actor, who was willing to stay in the role and probably appreciative of it instead of a well known actor who'll be off a year after taking up the role.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My ultimate dream team for Dr.Who..

The mighty John Shuttleworth as the Doctor, Daniel Corbett (the weather man) as the Master, and mesmerising Alexa Chung as the assistant.

http://www.myspace.com/shuttleworths

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9JEP5ET3gg&mode=related&search=

http://www.fashionmodeldirectory.com/models/alexa_chung/showphoto/65636

31. Robert Harrison

Re: Series 5?

"Seasons 7 and 8 of Red Dwarf were useless... 3-5 were its prime."

Hear hear. The last series(es) of red dwarf utterly killed off the superb moving yet funny setting of being the last human alive accompanied by a highly evolved cat, a domestic droid and a hologramatic bonehead. Classic!

32. Paul Smith

RE: "Unknown Actor" - "..an actor who is willing to stay in the role..."

Given that the Dr can only regenerate 12 times (David T is the 9th) the Beeb had BETTER look round for someone who'll stick with it for 4/5 series......

[In the 1976 TV story 'The Deadly Assassin', it was revealed that Time Lords die after their twelfth regeneration, i.e. they have a max of 13 bodies they can use. An exception would be the Master, who 'stole' the body of Tremas(?) after his 13th body was dying.]

Come on Beeb - you've only three left - put yer thinking caps on!

33. A. Merkin

Dr Which

Forget this tiptoeing around, next regeneration lets have the doctor turn into a black lesbian dominatrix with two SUPER gay companions. That'll revitalize this children's television show for sure!

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a traditional "Kid's" show, never was!

For those who believe that Dr. Who is a kid's show, I strongly disagree. Just look at the number of comments from working Reg readers for one thing and just how many "kids" shows revolve around the anarchy and disrespect for authority that Dr. Who has exhibited over these MANY years? The level of humor & puns? More evidence that the show is really meant for adults with a sub agenda of de-programming adolescents from the influences of British "Nanny Culture".

Let's face it, ANY Science Fiction series ever created has been aimed at males, aged 14 to 40, who often live in their parents basements. I guess it must be a success when it crosses that demographic to cover a much larger audience, like Dr. Who obviously has.

Trouble is, one can't tell if the crossover to a wider audience is due to the show or a desparate need for escapism from modern life.

35. Josh

Re: RE: My favourite script editor...

At least someone gets the joke. ;) :P

36. Adrian Esdaile

Antipodean Dr.Eh?

My vote - David Wenham (Diver Dan, or Faramir for non-Aussies) for Dr.Who, and Eve Miles (Gwen Cooper on Torchwood) for assistant (blimey she's gorgeous!)

37. God of Biscuits

Jaded much?

Wow, you Brits are more jaded than most Americans.

Which is a direct contradiction to DW viewers' fear of change.

38. Krystan Honour

Why ?

Wait until 2010, DR who is clearly a successful show which has built up an entirely new fanbase whilst holding on to the old one, I agree with the sentiments that the next dr who after tennant needs to be a long term fixture and not someone who feels they need to leave after 2 seasons to guard an already chalked out career.

Lets find some talent and put them in the role and let them stay there for ages like tom b did.

This topic is closed for new posts.