back to article BlackBerry Curve 8520

Research in Motion's latest offering in the BlackBerry Curve range is described as an entry-level model. Indeed, it doesn't have a touch screen, GPS, or even a 3G network connection. However, it is a slim and efficient little work horse at a reasonable price with Wi-Fi, a 2Mp camera and all of Blackberry's push email know-how …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. troldman
    Thumb Up

Great to lose the trackball

That's been the biggest problems with BlackBerries. Trackballs are for playing Missile Command and nothing else.

2. Dave 142

3G

no 3G? in 2009? wtf

3. Corin
    Go

Trackball - bye!

Trackball is something I wouldn't miss! Not a huge fan of how gunky they can get, and they're impossible to clean without voiding the warranty!

Looks a neat little phone. Pity about the lack of 3G, but for email only it's not really that essential.

4. dbewick

Its not actually smaller

than the 8900.

5. Tony Smith (Written by Reg staff)

@dbewick

Fair cop, guv. It's actually 0.04mm thicker than the 8900...

6. Gareth Irwin

All these reviews

Get 80%, I swear to god.

What is the point of the percentage below 60, why do you people bother with it?

7. Daniel Harris 1
    FAIL

No 3G and re: review scores

I think not having 3G in 2009 is rediculous really. I know there are plenty of phones without it, but somebody buying a Blackberry is usually somebody who would make good use of the extra speed. No Blackberry should come without it. Even if it is only £200.

If it had 3G i'd probably consider replacing my N95 8GB with it.

Re review scores, didn't the Blackberry Storm get 40%? Which proves scores below 60% are possible....unless i'm wrong and the Storm got 60%, in which case ignore this.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Review scores

If you think about it, most new kit will perform its basic functions; a phone will make and receive calls, a printer will make marks on paper. So they're at least 50% of the way to being perfect. The other 50% is really how well they do it, how easy they are to use, how close they get to the ideal. I can't see how you can score a device much below 50%, unless it doesn't perform its basic functions.

9. Mike 61
    FAIL

Not even full QWERTY

Sorry, but a FULL qwerty keyboard has FOUR rows not three. Fail again.

10. The Indomitable Gall

Hooray!

No more crappy underresponsive trackball. But given that all the basic functions of a Blackberry expect click-click-up-down, why not just have cursor keys...?

11. Scott 7 Silver badge
    Big Brother

2mp Camera

Someone recently told me that pathetic camera resolution is a requirement of US carriers.

Can someone in the USA confirm or deny this please?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ troldman

'That's been the biggest problems with BlackBerries. Trackballs are for playing Missile Command and nothing else.'

Absolute nonsense.

It's also for playing Centipede.

13. Dangerous Dave
    Stop

forget all that.....

...what we really need to know is, how does brickbreaker perform using the new touchpad?

14. Andy Watt
    Happy

No 3G....

No 3G, 2.5 days battery life. Simple. Idle mode procedures in 3G sap it like there's no tomorrow... stick with 2G and EDGE if you keep losing your charger like I do :)

15. Geoff Johnson

HTML

Have they got HTML e-mail working yet?

16. Dangerous Dave

HTML

Yeah, HTML emails have been working since device software v4.5 IIRC - got it on my work one since i updated. May also need to be on BES 4.1.6 too, as i updated that at the same time

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like