back to article Router technology creeps into the space age

US military boffins are planning to put a satellite-based router into orbit. The three-year Internet Routing In Space (IRIS) project is due to see a satellite that will aid military communications launched in the first quarter of 2009. Satellite operator Intelsat will handle the management of the project with Cisco supplying …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Doc Farmer

Tachikoma Orbital AI Storage

Looks like we've got a future ghost repository goin' up...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bindun in blighty several years ago

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/cleo/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the US oh so slow, go UK..... again

that fact is its amazing to me that even the UK CLEO didnt happen until 2002, the US seem to be very slow with copying the UK idea's.

by now id have expected all space sats to be using IP and Mesh transmitters ,its mad that they dont.

hell im expecting the UK Virgin backed 'spaceship one' or perhaps its commercial non human payloads version to be able to deploy simple Mesh'ed wireless/WiMax routers into orbit with a modifyed and cheap final stage rocket or whatever.....

how come they dont use IP mesh for the many deep space projects?, hell lots of mini WiMax transmitters deployed around a planet could collect far greater data, and they could even afford to send an exta few for off the cuff missions if something interesting shows up.

IP MESH and WIMAx could be a very good thing for the UK science if they just pulled their fingers out and got on with it.

will spaceship one become the greatest thing for comercial space wireless or will some US pay the french and russians to put up the tech.

4. Bob Hannent

Re: WiMax in space

Last time I looked WiMax didn't have doppler-shift compensation. In fact WiMax I remember reading that there was/is a separate standard for mobile WiMax and I bet that doesn't compensate enough.

The IT community constantly believes that it invented the wheel, when in fact the technologies used in computing often are derived from scientific advances.

This story is interesting because it shows the potential of putting more processing in orbit than was previously possible because of the extreme environment.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like