back to article Iran blocks Wikileaks

Iran has blocked access to whistleblowers' site WikiLeaks, ahead of today's expected protests. The site complains that it carries very little content about Iran and much of that shows the machinations of US intelligence-funded efforts to destabilise the country. A statement from WikiLeaks seems to have some sympathy with Iran …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SimpleUser
    Megaphone

That will not help them

at all, and that's very good so!

Word will get out (and into Iran), no matter what- oppression never made it in the long run.

2. asdf
    FAIL

only in Iran, oh and Germany and UK

I bet the European countries that blocked wikileaks are happy to see they have joined such an exclusive club of countries that respect human rights. Western civ fail all around.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Just another data point

Just another data point showing that the Iranian government fears & mistrusts its own people more than it fears anything outside it's borders.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Trevor Watt

@asdf; Blocked in the UK?

If it was, it certainly is not now.

6. Chris C

re: That will not help them

"Word will get out (and into Iran), no matter what- oppression never made it in the long run."

Is my satire meter not working, or did you actually intend that as a serious statement? If it's the latter, then I would point your attention to China. Oppression has been working there for quite a long time, and appears to be extremely effective. Meanwhile, the rest of the first-world nations turn a blind eye to the human rights violations. As long as they're willing to work cheap, we don't care what happens. That's what Iran needs to do -- allow itself to become an exploitable nation for cheap labor. If they were willing to do that, they'd be our new best friend regardless of local or international politics (including export restrictions and sanctions).

7. lukewarmdog

UK block

Refers to the MoD instructing BT to block Wikileaks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jun/25/wikileaks-blocked-ministry-defence

Australia also doesn't like Wikileaks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like