back to article Bolivian TV falls for Air France crash hoax

Bolivian TV channel PAT has been left looking a bit daft after broadcasting extraordinary images of the last moments of Air France flight 447, lost over the Atlantic on 1 June: According to the report, the snaps were retrieved from a recovered Casio Z750, which was subsequently traced via the serial number to its owner - " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sigxcpu

Another one bites the dust...

You can mention Romanian television, Antena 1, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHNvHRzPio8

Actually they've invited "analysts" that commented and explained everything fot the audience.

2. Adrian Jones

Oh dear.

That was on Snopes just three weeks ago. Does no-one ever check there?

3. iamapizza

Lost...

In translation?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

A film?

Isnt this shot from a film a few years ago?

5. James 85
    Coat

Constantly Amazed

I am constantly amazed that, when information is so pervasively, easily and immediately available, people check facts and other information presented to them so infrequently. It is a very long time since checking the meaning or spelling of a word meant pulling a dictionary from a shelf or visiting a library to check an encyclopaedia.

Mine's the one labelled Indignant Pedant.with the leather elbow patches and the book stuffed in the pocket. Oh no. There is a mob outside my house and the one next door where the paediatrician lives.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Fail-o-tron

LOL

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Perdido.... Mi Dios.....

Perdu...Mon deu...

perdido en la traducción

mina es el uno.... con el paracaídas en el bolsillo...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gordon Brownoffs ponzi scheme

http://english.aljazeera.net/focus/2009/03/20093136145496816.html

"The financial crisis has also brought to light an alleged decade old Ponzi scheme run by Gordon Brownoff in the UK and Allen Stanford's similar suspected fraud in the US and Caribbean."

A decade old Ponzi scheme run by a Mr Gordon Brown-off in the UK? That would be that Sterlingoff ponzi scheme?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@zerofool2005

Clearly about to be head hunted by Bolivian TV...you 'tard

10. G4Z

heh

Funny they didn't even notice that this was clearly shot during the day and the plane went down at night...

11. MinionZero
    Unhappy

@Constantly Amazed:

James 85: "I am constantly amazed that, when information is so pervasively, easily and immediately available, people check facts and other information presented to them so infrequently."

I totally agree. Unfortunately too many people are way too trusting. They fail to test knowledge and simply want it spoon fed to them. They don't want to look for answers themselves. These same fools complain when mistakes are found in sites like Wiki's as they fail to see them as simply starting points for further searching for information to cross reference what they read.

They completely lack any Critical Thinking skills. Its no wonder so many confidence tricksters find an endless stream of people to trick into anything they want.

The scary thing is these overly trusting half conscious morons help vote in politicians. Which goes a long way to explaining the whole history of world leaders and how they are able to get into such extreme positions of power to be able to commit so many horrific crimes seen throughout history.

Ultimately the lack of critical thinking is one of the biggest problems the world faces because of the knock on effects of failing to stop some people who are so willing to exploit such a lack of critical thinking. But then there are some (often in high places) who wouldn't want critical thinking to be taught to people as it would prevent them getting away with what they do.

12. Tim Spence
    Joke

Chris Waddle

Scorchio!

13. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Airplane?

And I was so hoping that would be footage from one of the "Airplane" movies ... cute presenter though ... worth watching just for her.

Paris because she'd do her

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ James 85

'I am constantly amazed that, when information is so pervasively, easily and immediately available, people check facts and other information presented to them so infrequently.'

The media are particularly bad at this because they're all terrified of being 'scooped' by a rival if they were to spend time checking the veracity of a story. Better to get it out there, reap the publicity and if it should be wrong, ah well print a retraction in five weeks later headed 'Correction' in 4 point type on Page 97 underneath the tide times.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Mike Richards

I think you'll find it under "4 across - we were wrong".

17. andy gibson

Suckers

Suckers, I've just sold them this picture for £10,000

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/Plane2R_450x300.jpg

18. Pete James

Can't be.....

Bolivian telly, they have German subtitles......

19. NogginTheNog
    Thumb Down

Well deserved

Serves them right for being sick enough to ever think of broadcasting something like this! >:-(

20. Ozwadi Ogolugi

@zerofool2005

The clue is in the article "Oceanic Flight 815"... It's from the first episode of the highly popular US TV series 'Lost'

21. Tel
    Pirate

Ha Ha!

Pwned.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Of course it has to fake

No one could ever say tradgedy in the same breath as France while keeping a straight face...

OK OK I"ll leave....

23. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

@Mike Richards

"The media are particularly bad at this because they're all terrified of being 'scooped' by a rival if they were to spend time checking the veracity of a story."

I saw something on the idiot box a few months ago where the editor from one of the UK's biggest "news"papers admitted his staff got most of their stories off another paper's website, on the grounds that it was cheaper to "pirate" someone else's newsfeed than to pay real reporters and check their stories.

Sad thing was, it was a serious documentary and I actually believe he was telling the truth. Given the quality and accuracy of stories in the two papers, it isn't hard to believe.

24. Tim Bates

Doh!

This scam has been done before... Some other flight that went down somewhere, and the stills from that scene of Lost were distributed as being real. I don't think the media fell for it last time though.

I can't see video for this version, but last time, even the Oceanic Airlines logo was clearly visible on the tail... Which if they saw this time, surely they should notice since the media has been showing photos of the Air France tail decals.

25. Happy Skeptic

RE: Can't be.....

"Bolivian telly, they have German subtitles......"

No they don't, not single word on the screen was German.

Or have I missed a joke somewhere?

26. Francis Offord
    Boffin

Gullibability

Sick Bastards

27. Doug Lynn

I like scifi but I'm Lost and confused about Lost TV program...

Hi, get more and more confused watching this show, even watched reruns for awhile but don't have a clue. Now I lost it on my new U-verse TV, what channel?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like