back to article Drayson back at MoD, retains biznovation portfolio

Controversial former military equipment purchasing boss Lord Drayson has been made a Defence minister once again. Details of his portfolio have yet to be announced, but Drayson will outrank the current equipment minister - and will retain a position at the new department of "Business, Innovation and Skills". According to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. S Larti
    Paris Hilton

Oh Joy!

"There may be somewhat less rejoicing in some sections of the MoD."

And among taxpayers, universities & almost everywhere else.

Paris because we may as well get used to being F***ed by airheads for the next year as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Follow the money

I imply nothing, what you infer is your own business...

3. Ian Ferguson

And you can follow him on twitter...

here: http://twitter.com/lorddrayson

Although I think I will stop following him now, I was not aware of his true (military) colours :(

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Skills?

What next? The Department of Fashioning Tools from Twigs presided over by a bunch of chimp instructors who wonder why it's taking so long for the Britards to catch on, and why the Britards are obsessed with trying to sell them the twigs instead.

"No I don't want to buy it from you - I just gave it to you. Just watch the damn instructor again and pay attention this time!"

5. Ben
    Black Helicopters

Great Scott!

"The Future Lynxes are to arrive from 2011." Now that is some impressive technology. When are they due to arrive from 2011?

6. amanfromMars Silver badge

The Party of Bankrupt Ideas

Oh dear ..... another old tired has been a dodgy failure returned to the fold. Although I will gladly eat those shorts if he has anything New and Vital to Offer.

Methinks though his past history speaks volumes, and thus signifies another folly in the making.

The MOD needs a Future Technologist not a Stock Item Procurer/Pimp.

7. Juan Inamillion

He does it again!

amanfromMars has succinctly accurately summed up the story!!

Great Scott! The sky is falling in!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Understatement of the Year ?

"Drayson's previous business career was also the subject of some debate."

I appreciate the author must be careful in these circumstances - but the powderject makes for interesting (if disturbing) reading.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

I claim my £5

I've finally come to the conclusion that Lewis Page is actually a US stooge. What other reason is there for continuing to trumpet such biased c**p and attempt to attack anyone who's actually for the UK arms industry rather than just giving the money to uncle sam?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

"...though in fact the Future Lynx has American engines and also requires significant support from Italy."

True, but the engines are manufactured by a company 50% owned by Rolls-Royce so they could probably stick a few together in Bristol or Derby or somewhere if it made sense to do so.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK arms industry

"...What other reason is there for continuing to trumpet such biased c**p and attempt to attack anyone who's actually for the UK arms industry"

Because he's reasonably well informed, and knows that most of the equipment is foisted on the forces despite being more expensive than a lot of solutions that can be bought off the shelf so that we can actually use it when we need it. If that wasn't enough there is also a depressing tendency for the home grown equipment to not to the job adequately as well.

We failed miserably in Iraq, mostly because of a lack of helicoptors which forced troops to use unprotected ground vehicles, which in turn resulted in us being unable to do anything useful. Eventually the yanks had to bail us out by retaking southern Iraq.

Despite this, we still don't have enough helicopters or protected vehicles. Because of this we have just been humiliated in Afghanistan as well. Depressingly, the americans have had to take over the control of helmand province from us because we couldn't do the job. Why? Well, it looks like its the same lack of equipment again.

Having just lost two wars over a stretch of time longer than the second world war we still don't have basic kit the army needs like transport helicopters and sufficient numbers of protected vehicles. If it can't be provided within the time we need it, we should buy from someone that *CAN* deliver it while it can do us some good.

Because, well you know peoples lives depend on getting this equipment. Not only those that die, but those that live crippled having lost limbs. Why? Because seemingly British arms companies would prefer that our troops don't have the equipment at all if they aren't providing it.

I'm all for us using our own equipment, but only up to the point where we can actually supply equipment fit for task when our troops need it at a reasonable price. If we can't, then we should buy it off the shelf from someone that can can.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like