back to article Computer-related injuries in US 'increase sevenfold'

American medical eggheads have issued a stark warning today about the latest deadly health scourge to hit the developed world. It's one particularly relevant to Reg readers. We refer, of course, to the unprecedented rise in computer-related injuries, which have - shockingly - surged by a shocking 732 per cent in America during …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The_Original_ Trevor
    Boffin

Most dangerous part of a computer....

.....is the case! Many a time I've been in my case feretting around and had a stiff cable (this isn't going well euphamism wise is it?) and tried to pull one off and actually lacerated my hand.

I would also like to add that since BOFH has become popular and been published on The Reg that accidents have gone up. Coincidence?

H&S goggles....well....just because

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Ah, but.

How many computers have been injured by people? Who are the real villains here?

You may think it's bloody funny round here to cause coffee to come out of people's noses, but think of the keyboards!

3. Steve
    Pirate

RoTM?

Rise of The Machines surely?

4. Pete Silver badge

rise in injuries follows decrease in IQ?

Even when the increase in user numbers is taken into account, the rate per 1000 users seems to have doubled - in one country, at least. I can't help thinking that, if properly located and simply left alone, a PC is pretty benign. It's only when inexperienced people, who don't know what they're doing (and includes but is not restricted to children) start sticking things where they shouldn't ought to be stuck - or moving things that they are ill-equipped to move, that bad things happen.

Since you can't account for all the stupid things that dumb people will do, I'm quite relaxed about this statistic. Yes, there will always be accidents and you can't mitigate against every, single possibility but sometimes dropping a monitor on your foot, or getting cut by the sharp edge of a cheap and tinny chassis serves as a gentle reminder to STOP DOING THAT. Having done both of these - although only once, I can attest to the efficiency of the learning process.

And for those who don't learn the lessons, well just think of it as evolution in action.

5. goggyturk

@ Steve

In this case, more like the Rise and Fall of the Machines, I would think..

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Gods demand a sacrifice...

Surely everyone knows that in order to appease The Great Computer, it requires a blood sacrifice...

7. adnim

What about

mental trauma caused by bug ridden, poorly coded and exploitable software, is this not considered an injury?

The early days of Windows pre XP SP3 have caused me far more injury than the physical hardware. I started in IT as a hardware tech. I have grazed my knuckles a few times and pulled a muscle shifting a PowerEdge 2400 but this pales in comparison to the mental stress suffered as a result of the MS domination of the desktop OS market.

8. Lionel Baden

tbh

i would swear they sharpen the insides of computer cases

then on top of that they make them smaller and trickier to get into, ive had to break my wrists so i am now double jointed just to swap out some RAM.

The amount of times ive cut myself though on the inside of a case i cannot think !

9. Kobus Botes
    Flame

Must surely be

"B" Ark descendants, as are the employees of the US National Electronic Injury Surveillance System. To whit: "Future research on acute computer-related injuries is needed as this ubiquitous product becomes more intertwined in our everyday lives... Given the large increase in acute computer-related injuries over the study period, greater efforts are needed to prevent such injuries..." (Lara B. McKenzie) is suspiciously close to "When you have been in marketing as long as I have you'll know that before any new product can be developed it has to be properly researched. We've got to find out what people want from fire, how they relate to it, what sort of image it has for them."

Was this ever done for PC's, I wonder?

Mine is the one with the fire in the pocket, obviously.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fighting back...

Score wise I think computers and I are on a tie, they've injured me enough times (mainly cuts from the sharp insides whilst building/upgrading) and my main Quiet PC bases each weigh 20kg which can be a bugger to move when needing altering, but I've fought back, destroyed countless mice & keyboards when they piss me off.

As for US computer related injuries increasing so dramatically, isn't that just Darwinism in action?

11. R
    Boffin

Perfect for BOFH story

Imagine the BOFH carefully orchestrating a potentially lethal situation which he uses to gain sick pay and a hefty cheque from the company on H&S grounds even though he's not that injured, only to then use the same trick to bump off a boss.

Hang on... I think that one's already been done...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

I'm guessing

This is a 'study' which is really a thinly disguised sales pitch for preventitive measures, such as RSI-preventing equipment.

Posting anonymously... you can probably guess what industry I'm in ;)

13. The_Original_ Trevor
    Happy

@AC's everywhere

Thank god I'm not alone!!!!!

14. Vortigern
    Alert

hospitals

"computer equipment falling on top of the patient" ... not only do you have to worry about mrsa and c-diff, you have to worry about falling machines too. No wonder so many people die in hospitals than anywhere else.

15. Andrew Vickers

@Lionel Baden

It's not just me then?

I think every PC I've built for me or someone else has a little bit of my blood smeared onto it somewhere.

I presume the database runs the full gamut of death through to a broken fingernail?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Word! 21" Sun Monitors

While I have over the years been burned by soldering guns, solder suckers, melted plastic stuck to skin, cut up on circuit cards, burned by banging a propane torch heated circuit card solder splatter (for the chips) and sliced up on racks, more often case sheet metal (usually a surprise shock that makes ya jump and cut yourself, stop the bleeding, wipe the blood and go) Razor blades, and knives (not really part of the kit)

Out of all of it, I have to say the 21" sun monitor is pretty much one of the most painful items I've ever owned. (I had visited a doctor for a pain in my foot and found out I had broken metatarsals and other parts in my foot at least three times--according to the X-ray. Now I know why dropping the monitor on my foot hurt for so long. I've even accidentally smashed a cat's tail with one.

On the other hand what a tough monitor eh? Can the BOFH say, "trebuchet?"

17. Trevor Pott

THe more expensive the case...

...the odder the sharp spot.

We all know that the cheap tin cases are sharp all over, but it seems no matter how expensive the case, or well designed for regular swapping, there's always a sharp bit somewhere. I think it's an industry regulation that it has to be added. Somewhere, no matter how expensive your case, there is a sharp bit hunting your pinkey.

18. The_Original_ Trevor
    Thumb Up

@Trevor Pott

I had an immediate thought about how to solve all the woes about cutting fingers on hidden sharp bits, and that was plastic cases.....this thought then lead to lego cases...and then I remembered

How many times have I destroyed my thumbs trying to get 2 bricks to seperate?

It seems there is no solution to this problem...

19. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

The cause is obvious, really

I blame all this sex on the Internet. I mean, I keep falling off!

[This joke was the US entry in the 2009 Repurpose An Old Monty Python Chuckler International Bake-off.]

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like