back to article Google nukes Norks

We're not quite sure what's going on down at Google Maps, but the search monolith's cartographical service has decided that the world would be a better place if North Korea were one big blank: North Korea map on Google Maps Satellite imagery is still available, and a search for Pyongyang works fine... Sat image of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To find the Norks on google

Disable Safesearch.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Panic abated

...once I realised that this was NOT news that Google image search was going to somehow block pictures of jumper spuds.

3. Richard
    Joke

Is That a swimming Pool??....

I thought it was a floating tank for his sharks..

all he needs now are the freakin' lasers..

4. Chika
    Happy

I take it, then...

...that we won't be seeing North Korea Street View any time soon, then.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

What do they know that we don't...

...yet?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google Car

Who would want to drive that car around Norks??

7. Austin Chamberlain

Diet ...

So he ate shark's fin soup four times a week, sushi once a week and dog soup* on Sundays. Does that mean that even the Dear Leader is only eating six times a week, in solidarity with his starving compatriots?

* Eating dog is quite rare in Korea, according to a non-scientific poll of the three Koreans I know. Two (from Seoul) said "Ew! No!", and one (from the countryside) said "Yeah, so?"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

May I be the first

To welcome our new dog eating overloads!

9. Jimmy Floyd
    Boffin

Out of the loop

Have I just been away for too long? When did "Nork" stop referring to a mammary gland and start being the definition for a country run by a spiky-haired tit?

10. James Dunmore
    Coat

If north Korea is blank

he'll be "wonely, so wonely" (team america reference)

11. mike wardle

More info, please

What breed of dog goes into the soup? They cant all taste the same, can they?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

blank North Korea?

Surely Google does not want to provide to much help for any military operations by

13. Jerome
    Thumb Down

@ James Dunmore

You know, if you spelt "ronery" right you wouldn't have to point out that it was supposed to be a Team America reference.

14. Chris Matchett
    Stop

wonely vs ronery

They are both wrong since Koreans don't mix up R and L. That's Japanese and even then R will sound like L and L will sound like L. So 'lonely' ain't a ploblem word.

15. Paul
    Alert

Get in there El Reg

Surely this calls for a reconstruction of the entire nation... In Playmobil.

16. Tim J
    Paris Hilton

An attempt to stop the US citizen militia attack on NK?

I'm guessing detailed mapping has been removed to stop the somewhat wilder American patriot citizens from planning their own assault on North Korea, given that they probably think Obama's decision not to start World War III (at least not quite yet) shows that he's a lilly-livered yellow-bellied pacifist.

Seriously though, this is a bit odd - why have Google done this? Maybe it's to stop NK officials from easily looking at maps of their own country - but then the satellite views would have to go too. Bizarre.

Paris, because she's always visible via Google... more so when you disable SafeSearch.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@out of the loop

My thoughts exactly. I was most disappointed.

That is a nice floating swimming pool, though.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

This is what North Korea will look like...

...when the US nukes it off the map.

19. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Flame

You know it could be

Google preparing for next friday, after North Korea foolishly lobs a nuke into Japan/South Korea on Thusday afternoon, and the US/Russians/Chinese blank North Korea from the map Thursday evening.

Then many North Koreans will be able to travel the world as they drift down out of the fallout

PS Wheres the Mushroom cloud icon?

20. censored

Can anyone confirm...

That there did used to be maps? Given western cartographers arent likely to have been welcomed in at any point in the last 50 years, I can't see that the maps wouldve existed in the first place. It's more likely they were never there than that they've been pulled.

Even tourist mecca Cuba is largely blank on the map front beyond place names an major roads.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

always been like this

I'm pretty sure google maps view of NK has always been like this. People have only started noticing because of the recent events.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@wonely vs ronery

Interesting point.

However you failed to take into account that in the aforementioned movie Kim clearly +is+ ronery.

(albeit for comic effect, rather than linguistic verissimilitude)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCmqzrFL26M

23. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Was always blank

Hmm, I also think Google Maps has always been blank for North Korea. "Censored" is right about cartographers being most unwelcome: visitors must hand-over any GPS devices to customs on arrival, or risk trial! But you can download older editions of US (1950s) and Soviet military maps (mid 1980s) from lots of places on the web.

(US 1:250,000) http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/korea/ from the

(US 1:50,000) http://www.koreanwar.org/html/korean_war_topo_maps.html

(Soviet 1:200,000) http://poehali.org/maps , Russian interface

The icon is for unwary Western geocachers :-(

24. wayne

riul

The Korean character, riul, is for both R and L sound phonetically.

Check out the word Olympics written in Korean characters. The second character will be riul.

25. Big Pete
    Coat

In Soviet Russia

The dogs eat you.

26. John Freeman
    Thumb Up

Nice Pool - is it Olympic?

All it needs is a few lovely party girls out sunning on the deck. I'm sure he can make that happen by throwing a couple bowls of corn flakes to the locals.

27. Matthew Ellen
    Coat

hahahaha

It looks like a penis.

28. Mr Larrington
    Coat

Simona Halep

apparently has Norks that are visible from space.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

No Norks, Just a Big Penis

@Matthew Ellen

Sadly, that was my first thought too. I should get out more.

Paris, because she's familiar with them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like