back to article Doctor Who to meet self in Children in Need special

Doctor Who will meet himself in a one-off special for the BBC's Children In Need, the Sun reports. Peter Davison, who occupied the Tardis from 1982-4 as Doc number five, will appear in the Stephen Moffat-penned episode on 16 November. An insider told the Sun: "The Doctor is forever travelling though time so there's no reason …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a joke

The armchairs out there would of course be rooting for Tom Baker - because he is totally barking.

2. Mark

Damn. Peter Davidson

Good vet, bad Doctor.

If they weren't knocking on a bit or dead, I'd want him to meet Tom Baker or Jon Pertwee.

3. Vulpes Vulpes

It should've been Mad Tom

Tennant runs into a room, in pursuit of some ghastly alien thing, only to find his own self, in full-on, curly-haired and stary-eyed Tom Baker incarnation, sitting naked in a bath of custard, dictating a voice-over for Little Britain into a microphone while Leela sits nearby astride K9, knitting a new and even longer wooly scarf....

What a missed opportunity.

4. Geoff Johnson

Hmmm - time travel paradoxes.

If he tells himself what to expect most of the last 3 series wouldn't happen. That's about 31 hours by my guesswork so BBC1 should now be showing tomorrows football.

I'm off to watch telly then to the bookies. (No jokes about robbery equipment.)

5. Krystan Honour

Cool

I really liked peter davidson, its a shame he followed such a legendary doctor as Tom Baker, but this should not take away from his performance.

6. Michael Habel

Title

[quote]If they weren't knocking on a bit or dead, I'd want him to meet Tom Baker or Jon Pertwee.[/quote]

Yes but wouldn't it be kinda hard to cast any of the ~Original Three~ Doctors?!

And just how are they going to cast Mr. Moffet (Um Daivdson), going to reprise his role?

Having seen him recently on some ITV Cop-Show (sadly I can not recall the name), I found it difficult to think that, that was the same Guy who once played the Doctor.

Given that the ~younger~ version of Mr. Davidson actually regenerated into Mr. Baker (no not the One w/the Scarf!), before he (Mr. Davidson), became all fat, fumpy, and bald.

It'll be interesting to see how this gets payed out...

7. ian

IT relevance? :)

And surely being dead shouldn't be any obstacle to using Jon Pertwee.

8. Mark Ireland-Spicer

But can't it just be fixed??

To both of the previous comments - surely in these days of digital effects is should be possible to use an 'avatar' actor and then graft a digital version of Tom or Jon's face on to them?

At least this would give us a tech angle!! Added to which you could bring back Bill Hartnell!!

9. David Austin

Good, but...

A "Two doctor" Style episode with Chris and Dave in would, frankly, be too awesome to compehend.

10. chris

"there's no reason why he couldn't catch up with a former incarnation"

Of course there's no reason. I mean, it's not as if the Doctor Who show hasn't done it already...

Nothing new to see here. Move along, move along.

11. Cap'n wotsit

here we go again!

the doctor has already met himself.

on more than one occasion.

in the tv movie "the 5 doctors" so he met himself 5 times over

and in the episode with Colin Baker and Patrick Troughton and some rather scary orange eyebrows, set somewhere in spain I think.

12. John

Not a new idea

I'm compelled to be a geek about this one, but this idea has been used before. The first five doctors met in the 1983 episode 'The Five Doctors' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Doctors).

13. elagmug

The scarf has it

Tom Baker would be my choice, if I was asked, But perhaps its just my age....... Jellybaby anyone?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jon Pertwee

They'd have to dig him up first! B->

15. Rob

Be interesting to see

How or if they explain how he seems to have aged...

16. Mitch Russell

Paradox?

This is actually a pair of docs.

17. Stuart Halliday

Bring back Susan I say

Isn't it about time this new Doctor who, constantly complains that he's the last of his kind, jumped into the TARDIS and went to 2199 and meet his Granddaughter?

Susan who is now getting on in years don't you know was left on 2164 Earth as the Daleks got stopped after they did take over the Earth and put to rest the 43year debate of where or not he is related to her or not.

Give them an excuse to meet the Daleks again too...

Come on now we know the Doc never can really get rid of the Daleks...

18. Paul Warren

The 3rd best Doctor !

Sounds great the Baker era was just coming to an end when I started watching Doctor Who as a child, Davidson was my Doctor and I thought him to be excellent, Tom rules and will always be "Doctor Who", with Tennent 2nd and Davidson 3rd!!

I know this has been done before the 3 Doctors, the 5 Doctors and the 2 Doctors, So why not again now? The 2 Doctors with Troughton and Colin Baker was in the 80's 20 years after Troughtons time in the tardis, He had aged so why not for Davidson?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really not a new idea

It wasn't even original when they did 'The Five Doctors', as they'd already done 'The Three Doctors' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Doctors)

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Numbers

"in the tv movie "the 5 doctors" so he met himself 5 times over"

Surely he met himself four times over, or three times over. Or, depending on how you count, he met himself twenty-five times over. I was never any good at maths. There were five doctors. Four of them were in the show. Tom Baker was stuck in a time warp. They all met each other, as far as I remember. Each doctor meets three other doctors, and those doctors meet each other three times over, and they are met by the other doctors. That equals (calculator). A lot of meetings. This is a website full of maths graduates, I'm sure someone can work it out.

21. Liam Johnson

Stephen Moffat

If it's written by Stephen Moffat then it will be worth a look regardless of who's in it.

22. chris

Seen it already...

We've sat through the Davidson episodes already, so we would have seen it when he meets his future Tennant incarnation years before Moffat started to write it.

This makes it easy money for Moffat because all he has to do is go back to the episode where Peter Davidson's Doctor meets David Tennant's Doctor, copy what he wrote in the future from the past and sell it to the current owners.

Personally, I can't remember it. In fact, I think I didn't bother watching all that many Davidson ones, so if anyone can remember watching this new brand new episode before, let me know if it will be any good when it gets it's very first showing for a second time again.

23. Mark Eccleston

Peter Davidson was the Doctor from 1981-1984

Not 1982-1984

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Davison#Doctor_Who_.281981.E2.80.931984.29

24. Tim

Paradoxes, age and all that

Could be an alternate reality version of himself where he hasn't regenerated or something.

Anyway, didn't Children in Need also do a "Doctor Who meets Eastenders" special? (or was that Comic Relief?). How daft is that if you want to try and take it seriously? !

At least it's not "who ate all the Pies" C.Baker.

25. Tim Bates

Cool/

This is something I've been waiting for in the new series. I loved the multi-doctor episodes of the old series.

The big question... Will he have any of his companions? And if so, which one...

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doctor Who reunion - good idea!

Okay, I know it's been done before - but an extended story (more than one episode) using all the still-living Doctor actors could be brilliant. So that's Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and of course Chris Ecclestone.

Yes, they've aged - but that's easily explained away... The Master (who didn't die in that last episode - of course) travels back to destroy the previous incarnations of his nemesis, using the same machine that he had to age David T in this series. It'd be worth watching it just for the interplay between Tom Baker and David! (Although I think Chris and Sylvester could be an interesting dialog opportunity too).

Get someone decent to write it, turn down the "foreground" music, (so we can actually HEAR the dialog), and keep Catherine Tate away from it. That'd be a mega-hit for sure!

27. Tony T

Re: Doctor Who reunion - good idea!

Paul McGann is dead? Why did nobody tell me?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Doctor Who reunion - good idea!

Tony T said:

>Paul McGann is dead? Why did nobody tell me?

Nope, don't think he is. But I'm reliably informed - by the resident Dr Who fan - that no-one regards that one-off film as a "proper" Dr Who. Proper Who has to be a series apparently....

Still the thought of a "Dr Who TV Series Reunion" series/pair of episodes sounds like an audience winner.

Shame Derek Jacobi couldn't be persuaded to take up the Tardis key though - might have made a good Doctor himself - albeit in the Jon Pertwee mould.

29. chris

McGann

Paul McGann did have the torch passed to him properly from the previous Doctor, something that Ecclestone never had, so maybe the current lineage is the one that has to be disregarded. This means when Tennant meets Davidson it's all a farce because one is an imposter Doctor!!!

30. Tim Brown

Bit of a problem here....

Davidson was rather young (looking) when his Doctor died, and the actor has aged somewhat since then...

31. Slaine

Doctor meets Self, self, self, self...

I am still getting over the shock that Paul McGann didn't get a series or three after that fantastic millenium (-1 year) movie. Maybe an opportunity here to make that particular episode a future doctor coming back to "fill in" a gap in the good old space-time continuumniumdideumdum.

My personal favourite was John Pertwee (Yes, I'm THAT old) but I'll happily take you up on that offer of a Jellybaby "elagmug". Tom was definately the last of the "old school".

This topic is closed for new posts.