back to article ICO voices concern over creaking data protection law

The Data Protection Directive is old-fashioned and out of date, a report published by the UK's privacy regulator the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has said. Commissioner Richard Thomas said that the European Union must change its legislation. The ICO commissioned RAND Europe to investigate whether or not 1995's EU …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

It all sounds rather sensible

Fat chance of it ever being implemented then...

2. Richard Thomas

Of course, nobody will isten to me...

...as I'm retiring next month ;-)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what's the point...

Even if the ICO petitions the EU to sort out privacy laws, improve them, tighten them up and make harsher penalties for breaches applicable... even if the EU update the legislation to incorporate all the changes... the next time a BT-like company run roughshod over the whole damned thing and arse-rape their entire customer base the ICO will just blush a little and say "not our problem, gov. Try the met or the home office".

And the whole merry-go-round will start again.

4. Sooty

damn

this means that the annual data protection training i have to take will now be based on 21st century style laws with nothing actually defined.

5. SilverWave
    Happy

Phorm's Biatch

Like the ICO have any standing after the craven way they dealt with Phorm :/

No we cant actually REGULATE that would be sooo wrong... instead we would like to work closely with industry stakeholders blah blah blah...

God they make me want to vomit!

Good job we have the EU to sort them out.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like