back to article NASA micro-satellite eyes space bacteria

NASA is preparing to launch a tiny satellite loaded with yeast and anti-fungal drugs early next month in order to better understand how bacteria becomes nastier in space. The nanosatellite, known as PharmaSat, is only about the size of a loaf of bread and will hitch a ride as a secondary payload aboard a US Air Force Minotaur …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris
    Alien

Nothing could possibly go wrong with that!

Didn't any of those idiots ever see The Andromeda Strain?

2. Nexox Enigma

Yost likes his Yeast, eh?

Alright, that's all I really had to say.

3. Glauro Campello
    Alien

They never get tired of to play God! Hope they will pay for their stupidity

Man will destroi itselfe due to its own curiosity.

They sai that: Crab has lost its head, because of its curiosity!

How stupid this people are. Thinking that because they are scientists, PhDs, etc, they can do anything and go as far as they want to, putting the entire world in the line of fire.

I wonder why they didn't made this experiment in the Space Station? Scared about the result? Not sure about what they are going into?

May God (whereve God) have mercy of our soul!!

4. mike
    Joke

A nasty case of ...

SPACE THRUSH, itchy astro-fannies ahoy.

5. James

@Glauro Campello

Was that a joke? Did you really just say that?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ewww!

I, for one, welcome our yeast-infected overlords.

7. Charles Manning

Far easier

Just do some homebrew on ISS.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@James @Glauro Campello

I'll second that joke inquiry. Cos really... Just wow, if it wasn't a joke.

9. Codge
    Stop

@James

He's obviously

a) Catholic

b) Foreign

c) Fucked up

Blame the Nazi Pope. Or any previous incumbents.

All religion is Bollocks. Except maybe Budhism. But that's more a way of life...

10. Captain Thyratron
    Thumb Up

Looking forward to follow-on "Zymursat" mission.

I wonder how a batch of imperial stout comes out if it's brewed in microgravity.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@James @Glauro Campello @Iam Me

It seems like amanfrommars went to space, met some bacteria and is evolving...

12. MnM

Joke inquiry

I'll sign that petition.

I googled 'crab head curiosity' and couldn't find any links to morality tales (though did find 'Germans lack curiosity about meat-derived products') so think it may be a brand new one. Pissed Xenu?

13. Bronek Kozicki
    Flame

why, of course ...

it is well known from movies that cosmic radiation triggers high mutation rate, which helps bacteria to evolve more malignant and drug-resistent.

14. goggyturk
    Thumb Up

Orbital brewery

This is obviously part of Obama's plan to make America better liked by improving the quality of its beer (not difficult).

Maybe they could fashion a beer goggle (monoggle?) for the Hubble Space Telescope. Now that's what I call science!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Q: What do you call ...

... a trio of female rappers with hygiene problems?

A: The Yeasty Girls

(Don't worry, I'm leaving)

16. Lionel Baden

lol @james

im thinking you need to read the story again

they are not putting yeast in space because its too dangerous to experiment here

they are putting yeast in space because that is where bacteria becomes more dangerous.

numpty !!

17. Richard Thomas

Units!

How can the satellite be nano-sized if the yeast is micro-sized?

Or is this some new Reg definition of the SI prefixes to go with the Reg Standard Units? ;-)

18. Ross Fleming
    Coat

@ Richard Thomas

Never seen a TARDIS?

19. Rocco

It would be interesting if they put...

Bread or beer yeast, which are two strains of the same yeast, up there. If they survive, than maybe the stuff that we use to make beer and bread, ARE really gifts from the "gods," and ancient civilizations were right after all!

20. Chris
    Boffin

RTFA

The article clearly stated they are using BAKER's yeast, not brewer's yeast, an entirely different critter. So no Imperial stouts or other tasty beverages. I'm not sure I'd want to drink something fermented with mutated space yeast anyway. I'll stick with tried and true English Ale or California Ale strains from White Labs, with an occasional lager or Hefeweizen.

21. cybersaur
    Alert

@goggyturk

American beer would be much better if they'd stop making it out of rice. That's right-- rice! Budweiser is NOT beer.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like