back to article World's oldest person pops clogs at 114

Japan's Yone Minagawa yesterday relinquished her short-held title as the world's oldest person when she died "of old age" having clocked up 114 years, news agencies report. Minagawa was born on 4 January, 1893 in Fukuchi, Fukuoka prefecture, southwestern Japan. She was officially recognised by Guinness World Records as the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lloyd

RIP

But living across 3 centuries, how cool would that be? Only another 94 years to find out, although 10 centuries would be preferable.

2. Dillon Pyron

99 and 2 days

My goal right now is 99 and 2 days. That will get me to my 75th wedding anniversary. But first comes June 21, 2030 and our 50th.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Was she dutch?

Still think I’d rather live a short enjoyable life than a long somewhat enjoyable life which had me waiting 40+ years wondering when I was going to die... or that I had to wear incontinence pants for any extended period of time...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re; 99 and 2 days

>> My goal right now is 99 and 2 days. That will get me to my 75th wedding anniversary. But first comes June 21, 2030 and our 50th.

Assuming, ofcourse, that you wife is still living (and you are still married). Also, is there a particular reason you would like to die on your wedding anniversary?

On another note, I wonder what the probability of the current worlds oldest person dying, on any given day? I wonder how many we get through in a decade?

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Who cares about being oldest?

I'm just working on getting my pension for longer than I paid into it. Three grandparents past the century mark (and one who died of silicosis at 85)... just wondering if taking early retirement would be cheating?

6. J

Hang on, Edna!

Hey, I wonder if there is some "curse of the 114"... Emma, check. Yone, 114 too. Hang on there, Edna!

7. Ole Juul

hobby?

"...put her longevity down to a good diet and plenty of kip, describing the latter as her "hobby"."

It seems to me that if you sleep a lot you miss all the action. Still, I think I'll give it a try. Give me a nudge when it's time for dinner will ya ....

8. Morely Dotes

Re: Re; 99 and 2 days

"is there a particular reason you would like to die on your wedding anniversary?"

Karma. I've been telling her for years that she's working me into an early grave. That would be proof.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

What the devil is "popping clogs"? Kicking off (one's shoes), I take it?

10. Matthew Joyce

Re: Huh?

Good grief. A techie's news site and here you are, a poster so technically backward you couldn't even ask a search engine for an explanation of 'popping clogs', but felt impelled to blither about your incompetence by posting? Research sharpens the mind, oh anonymous one; take the blunted object you currently possess and go forth... While you're at it, read Monty Python's 'Parrot Sketch' so that you'll have passing familiarity with some other euphemisms for dying quite likely to be used here.

To use another phrase with which you may need to look up, I thank you for laying yourself open to the sharpening of my claws.

11. Marc

Poppin' Clogs...

For the longest time I thought the term was "pop cogs" ... like gears ... like a watch face just erupting with gears and springs and sickly cuckoo clock sounds. Shoes are not nearly as cool.

This topic is closed for new posts.