back to article Samsung unsheathes screaming phone

Samsung has released a mobile phone with the ability to scream as loud as a snowmobile or motorcycle. And when we say "motorcycle", we're not talking about a smoothly purring BMW R 1200 RT. The Samsung SPH-W7100's alarm siren pumps out a ear-splitting 100db. Think of that insensitive punk with after-market pipes blatting up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

i hope

"And if you simply must own one, please do remember to turn it off when at the theater."

that the scream will compulsorily send a distress call to the police. that should deter punks from using the phone to make a nuicance of themselves and annoy/scare people just for kicks.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GPS

So they know where to find the body?

3. Spoonguard
    Heart

I bet the dynamic range is poor at 100db

The speaker quality of mobile phones is getting worse and worse these days.

4. Mat
    Alert

If these phones come over to Britain

You can bet your arse that Wacqui-J'accuse-Jacqui will make that noise the default "shutter" noise for when a photo is taken!

5. TeeCee Gold badge

@Spoonguard

Probably true. However, the only people I know who give a rat's arse about the quality of reproduction at 100db and over are Motorhead*.

I think that the "hearts 'n kittens" display sort of rules them and those who follow them out of this one anyway.

*Ok, and others. Special mention here to Blue Oyster Cult who, many moons ago, shoehorned the PA that they were to use at the Reading festival a couple of weeks later into the Dunstable Queensway Hall. I reckon they gave Krakatoa a run for its money in the astonishingly loud noise stakes.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

horizontal twin

"a smoothly purring BMW R 1200 RT."

Really? Have you ever heard a BMW R?

7. Albert Gonzalez
    Paris Hilton

Required

"The SPH-W7100 is designed for people who fear going out in pubic."

I, for one, would also be embarrassed going out in 'pubic' , at least without some cover ...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dom Joly...

"HELLO? HELLO? NO, I'M BEING MUGGED!"

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

And again!

As with everything that mentions a volume level...

100dB is meaningless, even if you'd remembered the capital B.

All together now, in the words of my old physics teacher: 'It's a ratio, not a unit!"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Pah!

" a ear-splitting 100db. Think of that insensitive punk with after-market pipes blatting up your street at 3:00 a.m"

Pah, my kit car is 109db.....these bikers don't know what real noise means. Oh and i sit closer to the exhaust than any biker.

And cue flames (mine come from the exhaust)

11. Paul Murphy
    Coat

Needs a boom-box .. hmm ..

Lets call it the 'iScream' it would be a bluetooth device, running on rechargeable batteries with enough power for, say 2 hours, of 100db (or more) noise, though the iScream could be made even more useful with the addition of a few buttons as well as the GPS...

'I'm in the boot(trunk *) of this car '

'Help Me!!'

'No No I don't want to be hit/ raped/ converted to another religion'

Hmm i wonder if it could be built into a chastity belt? - the iChaste?

Ok, that's enough I think, I'll get my loud coat.

ttfn

*Since the Ameriyanks can't use a language properly, sheesh.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

At the right frequency

you should be able to make a person's head explode, scanners-like. Hope I don't press the wrong button when it's up by my ear

13. dervheid

Instantly reminded me of...

this

http://www.dilbert.com/fast/2008-10-20/

14. Ash
    IT Angle

100dB where?

When placed against the cochlea? My headphones + MP3 player leave me with difficulty having a conversation after walking to the pub playing some Turisas at full tilt.

Pull them out of my ear, though, and I may as well have shoved the whole lot down the bog.

Good idea if it works, though. My mum would love one of these.

15. Tim

@ Teecee

Somehow I read that as Karaoke. I wonder if a Dunstable Blue Oyster Cult Karaoke Night would ever catch on?

Tim#3

16. nbc

@ GPS

"So they know where to find the body?"

Nope, just the phone.

17. Pete James

er.........

"a smoothly purring BMW R 1200 RT."

And there I was thinking BMW product placement was restricted to Bond films.

I've never seen the words BMW, R, and smoothly purring in one sentence. Probably because it's complete bollocks.

I won't be buying the phone either.

Never mind Rik.

18. Rafael
    Thumb Up

@If these phones come over to Britain

Cool, just imagine people's faces in the pics!

19. Lottie

Figures are worthless

What is the actual SPL rating. dB is more a ratio than a definition of volume.

20. Chris Lewis
    Stop

@those being pedantic about dB 'db' usage

Oh please, it's quite clear from context that it refers to an SPL ratio. But yes, it should be a capital 'B'.

In a circumstance where there might be some ambiguity between the units in use (in radio emissions, for instance), then your "concern" might be justified. But in this case it's sound, and failing some conspiracy to confuse you, that means it's SPL.

21. Ron Luther
    Thumb Up

Deterrence?

Naw ... the punks will only set it off on nicked phones!

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Chris Lewis

Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.

dB should NEVER be used without qualification, yes I could (and did) guess that it's SPL but I shouldn't have to guess.

I'd expect a technical site like this to be accurate in such matters.

And we haven't even got onto the weighting curves or averaging times discussion yet.

23. Damir Colak
    Thumb Down

But, but...

What is stopping a criminal from grabbing it and turning its siren off by for example, smashing it repeatedly against victim's head?

As Benny Hill liked to say, the only protection one can have is a Colt .45 under an armpit.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ er........

"I've never seen the words BMW, R, and smoothly purring in one sentence. Probably because it's complete bollocks."

Ok, so change the R to a K and the job's done.

25. Andy Hards

@TeeCee

I worked ap stage crew at a venue while studying and the only time the noise levels mattered (and the council came and have warning earlier that day) was when Lemmy was sound man.

26. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"coordinates as provided by a built-in GPS"

I look forward to seeing a police car hurry to a location, stop with screeching tires and four cops popping out to look for a victim who is actually 100 yards away around the corner, bleeding on the ground next to a little bunch of plastic pieces that may have been a phone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like