back to article Facebook hits back at Italian ban

Facebook has responded to a proposed Italian law that could see the social networking site forced to censor its members' postings and groups. The row started when Italian media noticed fan groups for convicted mafia members on Facebook. Although these are heavily outnumbered by groups of fans supporting prosecutors, the rumpus …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Prego

Ciao!

On behalf of our illustrious prime minister, signore Silvio Berlusconi, we are ordering you to take down this article, which he would find offensive if he heard of it.

Grazie,

Luigi

(and quick - eh? Otherwise my cousin will be round to kneecap you sad lot)

2. Jason Harvey
    Alert

Benito Mussolini the second?

Trying to revive fascism? It all starts with censorship.

3. Austin Chamberlain
    Flame

Berlusconi needs to fuck right off

He already has a stranglehold on one country, and is using that to cement his power.

He made a really creepy comment about that poor woman in a coma - "She's still capable of bearing children". Seriously, that's the creepiest thing I've ever heard in that context. The man is not just a buffoon, he's evil.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Burch
    Pirate

Silvio Berlusconi

He couldn't possibly be concerned about the allegations that he's a little too close to 'the family' could he?

No, that would be an outrageous suggestion.

6. fins gd
    Go

Wow..

Welcome to 2009! Railways are the new Tubes. Ted Stevens must be spinning in his.. well.. chair.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

hmmm

They just need to make Facebook an offer they can't refuse...

Mine's the one with a horse's head in the pocket.

8. amanfromMars Silver badge

Sing us a song, Silvio

"Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi said in December that he wanted to use his presidency of the G8 to regulate the internet. Berlusconi - with a virtual monopoly on the rest of the Italian media - has been frequently criticised for silencing opponents of his regime."

Is that fascism?

9. Shingo Tamai
    Thumb Down

@amanfromMars

"Is that fascism?"

Internet is the only place where you can read articles about italy that depict the real "shape" the country is.

Berlusconi uses its monopoly on televisions to do propaganda and to minimise the actual economis downturn. This both with the TV channels he own and with the national TV channels he controls being in the majority of the government.

Did I mention that he owns/controls newspapers as well?

As a matter of fact censoring internet is the easiest way to silence any criticism. Facebook is only a pretext, but first he will strike down on bloggers which still have a brain connected.

Regards

10. Evil Auditor Silver badge

@ amanfromMars

"Is that fascism?" that wasn't really a question, was it?

What's the status quo of western Europe democracies?

UK is implementing Orwell's BB state.

Sig. Berlusconi a reincarnation of Mussolini.

Nick Sarkozy: 'l'etat c'est moi!'

What about Germany, any news there? (I still hesitate to calling the EU the Viertes Reich.)

EA

11. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

@Austin Chamberlain

Nah, not evil, just selfish.

Let's face it, it's the only way *he* stands a chance of getting any........

12. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

What a unt!

<<-- The only thing missing from this story??

13. Mario Rossi
    Thumb Down

I am italian

And I can assure you, not all Italians are like this. I'm sorry for the perpetuation of a sad stereotype by our .. by that political class.

14. Evil Auditor Silver badge

@TeeCee

Unfortunately, sig. Berlusconi reproduced already. You get a lot of things for money. And this is Italy, there you'll get even more - let's say all - for money.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If the Internet Becomes More Tightly Controlled....

... then maybe we can all go back to grumbling about the economy, governments, etc. like we did in pre-internet days- face-to-face.

16. Luther Blissett

@Evil Auditor @@amfM &c

(BTW did you read mine to you re parsing amfM - RU receiving loud and clear?)

> "Is that fascism?" that wasn't really a question, was it?

> Sig. Berlusconi a reincarnation of Mussolini.

There is one notable difference between Berlusconi and Mussolini. Both dealt with the Sicilian Mafia, but only Mussolini threw them in gaol. Berlusconi allegedly only parties.

Dictatorship != fascism. The locution "fascist dictatorship" is not a tautology. Equally, here in Lalaland we have a democratic fascism. The in-vogue term is "soft power".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like