back to article Police drop investigation into 'rent-a-Lords'

The Metropolitan Police has ended its investigation into four peers - Lord Moonie, Lord Truscott, Lord Taylor of Blackburn and Lord Snape - in part because getting evidence was proving too difficult. The four men were caught in a Sunday Times sting allegedly offering improper help to undercover journalists in exchange for cash …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nursing A Semi
    Pirate

Members Privilege

If you get caught being a corrupt shop assistant who has fiddled a few pounds, result will be the sack and criminal prosecution.

If you get caught being a corrupt politician who has fiddled a few hundred thousand pounds the result will be that the system was at fault and a decision will be made to look into ways of changing it so it is no longer classed as fiddling.

Members Privilege

Privilege = Private Law

2. ElFatbob

once again

the police fail to properly investigate corruption or lawbreaking at the highest level - unless of course it has been politically instigated by the current dictatorship.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Hm...

B&Q must have a special offer on whitewash this week.

5. Shaun
    Thumb Down

"because getting evidence was proving too difficult."

Well then that's OK then, let them off

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lords a leaping

with one bound, the noble peers were free from any sort of criminal responsibility.

7. Alex

grease

"unclear state of the law on bribery", oh unclear! oh why didn't you say! as you were!

8. Alex
    Alert

diddly squat?

"Smith claimed her primary residence was a rented room in her sister's London house."

I wonder if her sister has been declaring the tax on that income?

9. Jonathan

Really?

Corruption? In the UK government? Say it aint so!

Next thing you are going to tell me that Phorm/BT isnt being investigated for similar reasons, and that this very probe was dropped because cash changed hands. And that the police raided the offices of two Tory MP's because Labour told them to. Shocking!

Oh wait, its all true. What a great day for Britain, that those with money can buy protection from those with power.

10. hi_robb
    Black Helicopters

Disgusted (not of Tunbridge Wells)

Those who pass the laws appear to be above it.

If this was you or me, we would be in the clink as quick as we could say bribary. It's about time we got shot of these smarmy, inflated expense claiming, corrupt gentlemen.

Get in to politics - Don't care about your country needs, care about yourself and business friends needs.

Dave

11. adnim

I would be more surprised

if a sucessful prosecution arose from this investigation. In fact I would go further and say I would be shocked if justice was done in this instance.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm...

Wonder how much that cost...

13. GettinSadda

In other news...

In other news...

The Zimbabwe police have announced that there is nothing that needs investigating following a number of complaints against President Mugabe.

14. Julian I-Do-Stuff
    Thumb Down

Unclear?

There are no hereditary lords any more - so shurely, since they are all appointed they occupy a "public office" - what about misconduct/malfeasance "in public office".

I do wish the police etc. would say Why the law is "far from clear" - but I'm not surprised: if they don't explain we can neither understand not correct any unclarity.

Difficulty of gathering evidence? Did they ask? I'd like to hear that parliamentary privilege was invoked to prevent an investigation (that would be interesting) than hear that no investigation was carried out because 'we didn't know whether or not they'd say yes'

Seems the one-eyed have hit on a brilliant strategy: put out everyone else's eyes.

15. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

Call me a cynic if you want...

... but if the Tory, Lib Dem and Ulster Unionist peers approached had taken the bait and the Labour Peers hadn't, I wonder if we'd be hearing a different outcome at this point...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about the MPs?

What about the Tory MP who was being investigated by the Met (illegally, it would seem) for daring to leak information - is that also being chucked out?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Yet another example of one law for some (the privilidged some) and another law for the rest of us

I'll declare from the start, I'm an expat. I'm outa there already.

I left for other reasons, but situations like this just put me into "smug mode".

This, the Hutton enquiry, cash for titles etc. just go to show how far detached the ruling elite have become from the rest of us. No matter what their political persuasion

They live in a world where, as proved many times before, if a royal, or the PM, or a minister, or a lord, or a justice (and now even bankers) says something, it's considered the truth, even if it can be disproved. So they say and do what they want, safe in the knowledge that those who can investiagate (the police) are controlled by those (senior ranked police) who rely on political favour to advance their careers.

It's all an old school tie/members only club/association back covering operation that excludes 99.99% of the population, but includes the 0.01% of the population that can do the most damage.

Why doesn't it change. Why should they change, why rock the boat when staying in the boat has so many benefits, while the rest of the population barely manages to tread water in the current ruling elite, old school tie, banker inspired recession.

You want to know how their network works. You've all seen the story. The chairman who presided over the decline of HBOS was appointed to the vastly overpaid vice-chair of the FSA, which regulates the banks. Could be poacher turned gamekeeper, more likely looking after one of their own. And now he managed to resign. Some might say he did the right thing, but he's just one shit in a pile of stinking shit.

18. Steve Roper
    Black Helicopters

So it would seem

that Comrades Rutherford, Aaronson and Jones have not yet fallen from Inner Party grace. However, I'm sure that given time and enough activity by their political rivals, they will find themselves being served gin and cloves in the Chestnut Tree Cafe soon enough - where our comrade 6079 Smith W. will be able to peer in at the grimy window and see them for himself before they finally disappear altogether.

All together now: "Strong and peaceful, wise and brave / Fighting the fight for the whole world to save..."

19. Matt

heh

I'm pretty sure it's all a plan by Labour to get rid of the lords - they've been too much of a thorn in their side for too long. Now they have put the boot in and everyone thinks the lords is a shifty bunch of heredatory peers where as all the people involved were Labour appointed peers.

Odd.

Labour wants rid of the lords, gets some rubbish appointed labour lords to go on the take.

Tip off papers that lords are on the take

Big huraar

Labour lords thanked in secret by the party whips, cigars all round.

Everyone forgets that it's the lords that have saved us from reams of awful government law.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Memo to self...

Only commit complicated crimes.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No suprise

Labour Lords accept money to influence laws and the rozzers do nothing, no arrests, no raids of the offices, not interest in investigating.

A Conservative MP reveals leaked information, and his office is raided, the police arrest him, even though they know they cannot get a prosecution and several whistleblower prosecutions have failed before. The MET, and NuLabour try to deflect that onto Boris Johnson.

I hope when this lot are out of power, the MET is purged of political operatives and this corruption is ended.

22. robbie
    Jobs Horns

Rank privilege.

There was a time when the monarch would give them the chop, literally. Although the House of Commons no longer is liable to this sort of direct action their Lordships still may be.

There's nothing like an odd execution for maintaining rank in the orders.

Steve 'cos he's for the chop too.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disgusted (formerly of Tunbridge Wells but rather emabarrassed by the fact)

"in part because getting evidence was proving too difficult"

And the remit of the Police is what, exactly? To investigate only simply "baby's first book" crimes where the evidence is strewn around and spelled out in 14 point Helvetica in words of no more than one syllable? They never seem to have this problem when less exalted people commit rather more trivial crimes. Perhaps if they stopped coming up with operations like sending 250 coppers to arrest 2 unarmed men in Forest Gate they might have a bit more manpower to hand when someone tries to subvert democracy for personal gain.

Bring back Regan and Carter.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Definition of "too hard to investigate" crimes

and therefore not prosecutable under the Crown....

Bribery, extortion, murder, muggings, drug dealing, burglary, petty theft, assault, rape, public exposure, vandalism, manslaughter, littering

"easy to investigate" crimes--requiring the application of the full force of the law....

Gun ownership, default on BBC license payments, force used in self-defense, exceeding your rubbish allowance, complaints (other than meek ones) to your local council/MP/police, raising your kids as you see fit, having religious beliefs (other than militant Islam), paying taxes, overwatering your garden, fox hunting....

25. Matt

Also

before we batter the lords to much we have to remember that without them saying "Ahh how's your imaginary friend in the sky?" To a religious person would have got you in the slammer.

26. ElFatbob

@ steven kraft

you've summed it up just about perfectly...

This topic is closed for new posts.