back to article Telcos enlist Google, Amazon to help protect Europe's data from Big Tech

Nothing sums up Europe's tech dilemma like the deep and meaningful partnership two of its biggest telcos touted this week. The CEOs of Orange (Stéphane Richard) and Deutsche Telekom (Timotheus Höttges) see more than €120bn a year flow through their combined cash tills. The two were on stage at Orange's innovation showcase in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shameless

a$$ kissing. It's a waste of time listening to all these people.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Shameless

Yeh, and the article doesn't even make sense. 2 European companies want to dig out from American establishment, yet choose Google and Amazon? WTF? DuckDuckGo is mentioned, but it can't be used because it's American... so Google then?

I really don't know wtf is going on in is article.

1. #define INFINITY -1

@overunder Re: Shameless

I'm holding a course on irony. Click on the little arrow on the bottom left to apply.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

Bonkers

Amazon and Google?

Could only be worse if Facebook added.

The problem is so called "AI" and all the big "Tech" companies. Especially the Multinational / USA ones.

Disgraceful antics from Orange and Deutsche Telekom!

3. #define INFINITY -1
    Pint

"There's hope then."

And hope for El Reg, if this pearl of facetiousness is anything to go by.

4. JohnFen

Big & trusted?

"Big, trusted internet brands remain American"

I can think of several big American tech companies. I can think of several trusted American tech companies. I can't really think of any that are both at the same time, though.

5. ma1010
    Alert

In other news...

Farmer hires foxes to guard henhouse

"And they work so cheap, too!" he says.

1. IceC0ld

Re: In other news...

Farmer hires foxes to guard henhouse

"And they work so cheap, too!" he says.

===

I believe they said the cost was chickenfeed ...............................

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: In other news...

"But oddly enough they'll only let me count the chickens one at a time" he went on to say.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only 51% of Germans believe AI will make their life better

Versus 97% of Americans? So what you're saying is Germans are smarter than Americans? I'd take offense, but I'm part of the 3%.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They have no choice

The telcos presently have zero choice in the matter whatsoever. Why shoot the fish in a barrel by mocking them that they bravely speak about their role and then ask GAFA if they like it with coffee or ice cubes?

What GAFA (+/- M) has is R&D.

Telcos killed their own. The sorry remains which dwell in the detention facilities on the Bretagne and Suffolk coasts can no longer generate anything of value. Not that they could 20 years ago. The rot there started as far back as 40 years back around the time the afore mentioned facilities were established.

As a result Telcos can look only as far as they can purchase. They can talk the talk, but they cannot R&D the walk, especially to the required SCALE. The can only shop it at which point the only ones which can offer them a solution which SCALES to their requirements are GAFA +/-M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like