Upvoting / downvoting bug

This topic was created by Jamie Jones .

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Upvoting / downvoting bug

Has anything changed in the last 2 days?

If I up/downvote a comment it appears to work as normal. If I then reload the page, the vote seems to have been accepted server-side, but the icon no longer has that blue glow indicating it's been clicked.

You can then click it again, and the vote tally is incremented/decremented (but of course, server side detects the duplicate vote and ignores it)

So the actual vote recording is working, but it's no longer indicating to us (on reload) that we made the vote.

I've tried on chrome on FreeBSD, and some white-labelled browser on android. Both used to work, both no longer work. I don't have css/js/ad blocking etc.

ps. I have other reported bugs that haven't been fixed or replied to. Is it worth even posting here anymore?

2. Marco Fontani

Has anything changed in the last 2 days?

Yes, indeed: we got rid of the forums RHS "your topics" unit and we've reshuffled the top RHS forum unit. The information is still available at the "My Topics" link.

As a part of that change, we've removed a couple mostly useless queries which were instead done at every "forums" page load. Most pages are a bit faster to be delivered to you.

A byproduct of that change was that an internal variable, which used to be available on every page due to it being set in order to produce the list of "your topics" to be displayed on the RHS, was no longer being set in that way; and the forum backend erroneously used that variable to figure out the list of posts in that forum you had up/downvoted.

I've "just" (an hour ago or so) read your post, bisected to the offending commit, tested things, and am pleased to confirm that it all seems fixed now. Thanks again for telling us about this, and sorry for not having caught it sooner!

ps. I have other reported bugs that haven't been fixed or replied to. Is it worth even posting here anymore?

I don't really follow all user forums that much, to be honest, and it's difficult to troubleshoot things for which we might not have gotten many details - forum posts aren't the greatest medium to have a conversation about a bug which might include sensitive data.

The best way to alert us of a bug with the site is to follow the report an issue with our site page and emailing webmaster@ with the various details.

I'll scour the other posts and see if there's anything else I've missed.

3. J. Cook Silver badge
    Go

Looks like it might be licked?

I was able to upvote both posts here, downvote one and then re-up vote it.

Looks like someone's been hard at work on how replies / threading looks as well- I rather like it.

1. J. Cook Silver badge

Re: Looks like it might be licked?

I should probably report this, but it might be my organization's nanny filter messing around as well, which is why I'm only now mentioning it. Comments (and replies) don't appear for me after posting unless I reload the entire page.

I'll give it a whirl when I get home and on a non-filtered connection and see if that might be it. :)

1. J. Cook Silver badge

Testing the 'replies don't appear unless I reload the entire page' quirk; Since [RedactedCo]'s internet access uses a MitM security appliance, I thought that might be the reason for the quirk....

Edit: still broken- tested with the three major browsers on win7 x64 bit (Firefox64.0, Chrome 71.0.3578.98, IE 11.0.101 )

(the two replies below were from my testing, not trolls. :D)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Marco Fontani

Comments (and replies) don't appear for me after posting unless I reload the entire page.

Could you clarify what you're expecting should happen, and doesn't?

After you post, you're shown the forum page with whichever comments are live at the time the page is shown. It may or may not show your just-posted post or reply, depending on the quickness of things.. but it won't self-refresh and show you new posts unless you refresh the page.

Beware though that if the page contains a URL fragment (i.e. #c_NNNN in the URL, which we might use after a reply POST in order to point the page view at the point of the reply) the browser will not request the page again unless asked to "hard refresh" the page. That is, CTRL+L and Enter will not refresh anything, whereas CTRL+R will.

Hope this helps!

2. Marco Fontani

Looks like someone's been hard at work on how replies / threading looks as well- I rather like it.

Indeed, forums is now entirely responsive; mobile-friendly; and with "proper threading" of posts throughout.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon