back to article Wow, what a lovely early Christmas present for Australians: A crypto-busting super-snoop law passes just in time

Congratulations, Australia: somehow after chaotic scenes in parliament, the government last night managed to secure after-the-bell passage of its encryption-busting eavesdropping legislation. The super-spying law, which will force websites and communications services Down Under to build in secret wiretapping capabilities for …

1. ma1010
    Facepalm

In other news...

Looking to next year's session, Australian PMs moot new laws to repeal the law of gravity and make both pi and e equal to 3.0.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: In other news...

and make both pi and e equal to 3.0.

Well that would save a lot of time.

1. stiine Silver badge
        Devil

It would make math easier, too.*

* - Unless you need to navigate

1. Tom 35

Unless you need to navigate

Or build things.

2. Ganesha
      Coffee/keyboard

The last incumbent to the current incompetent PM had a modicum of tek-nouse and used encryption on his personal device but assured the unwashed, using his trademark smarmy smirk, "the laws of mathematics do not override the laws of Australia".

At the time he was referring to climate science but applied the same insouciance to economics which might explain why we are well informed & governed.

3. GnuTzu
      Trollface

Yes, and the Earth is clearly flat.

I fear this disease will spread, as it is clearly contagious.

1. Jeffrey Nonken

"the Earth is clearly flat."

It cannot be. If it were, by this time cats would have pushed everything over the edge.

1. jake Silver badge

There is a school of thought that says cats have already pushed everything over the edge, we just haven't noticed. There is a subset of this school that suggests either the cats can push, or we can notice, but not both.

2. Someone Else Silver badge
          Pint

@Jeffery Norken -- Re: In other news...

"the Earth is clearly flat."

It cannot be. If it were, by this time cats would have pushed everything over the edge.

Post. Of. The. Week. For you, sir ----->

4. Eddy Ito

... make both pi and e equal to 3.0.

e + 1 = 0

Oh dear, this is going to get messy.

5. entfe001
      Paris Hilton

Australian PMs moot new laws to repeal the law of gravity and make both pi and e equal to 3.0.

They are 121 years late.

6. NoneSuch Silver badge
      FAIL

Just watch...

The first radical organizations to have their backdoors activated for monitoring will be the newspapers and online media.

...and I'm not f***ing joking.

1. StargateSg7

Re: Just watch...

Anybody in Australia want my encryption software? It works ON TOP OF and OUTSIDE of Facebook, Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook and any other major email instant messaging system that uses a browser or JAVA. With Lattice, One-time-pad and Invariate quantum computing resistant encryption algorithms built-in, and IN ADDITION we have CAAST-256 x 3 = 768 bits. Completely open source under GNU3 Open Source licence and compiled for multiple platforms.

AND FULLY PEER-to-PEER encrypted communications if you need it!

NO SUPPORT LIBRARIES ARE NEEDED - It's FULLY SELF-ENCLOSED CODE

with all functions and functionality completely self-written!

Very easy-to-read code for easy modification, VALIDATION AND VERIFICATION!

They ain't getting ANYTHING!

I'll put it up this next week in various places!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> I'll put it up this next week in various places!

You'll be announcing it here?

7. Someone Else Silver badge
      Coat

"...but in Latin, "Indiana" starts with 'I'..."

Ob. Indiana Jones paraphrase...Ooooh...see what I did there?

2. vir

"Ship! Come back!"

If it's been said once here, it's been said a thousand times: mathematics, third-party key security, etc. Now we get to see how this "technologically literate" discussion goes, or if this is just a rubber stamp on something that's already been decided.

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: "Ship! Come back!"

Well, nothing in factual reality has changed since https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1984 so like all anti-crypto legislation, this will make the bad guys more cunning and the only victims will be the innocent or very incompetent bad guys.

2. Mark 65

There is all the usual bluster in the legislation about forcing code changes etc and that has been taken to be the backdooring of encryption. However, I think we need to look back to the GCHQ story earlier to see that the likely forced code change will be to allow 5-eyes accounts to silently be part of a group conversation i.e. A contacts B and WhatsApp/Apple/whomever silently adds GCHQ into the chat as if the end-user requested it. That is my guess at what will happen. The unfortunate part is that we are led to believe this will be on a case by case basis whereas I'm expecting it to be "in all cases" because that's just easier.

1. Adam 1

@Mark, the signal protocol used by WhatsApp requires each participant to push their group key to the new user. Whilst Signal/WhatsApp can BCC all comms to 5eyes, they are not in possession of the encryption keys used by the group conversation. If they tried to push an invite out to 5eyes, then each device could notice that the administrator has pushed an invitation to a new member.

Without weakening the security by adding a vulnerability to permit the servers to manage the session key, they cannot comply. They must either weaken security for all or refuse to comply.

Thanks very much Labor for supporting the laws of fairy math. I had held hope that you had understood what the experts were all, without exception, telling you. History will judge you poorly for supporting such a dangerous law.

1. phuzz Silver badge

"If they tried to push an invite out to 5eyes, then each device could notice that the administrator has pushed an invitation to a new member."

Unless they update the app to silently ignore when certain keys are added to the conversation. When they control the client as well as everything in between, they can add eavesdropping in a way that would be invisible to the end user.

Of course, once they have the capability to do that, you have to wonder what processes are in place to prevent (eg) someone bribing a Whatsapp staffer to give them access to a private conversation.

1. Adam 1

They can update the app, but egress traffic from each participant cannot be avoided without fundamentally changing the protocol.

And I'm not sure what you mean by ignore the keys. These are public keys of each participant for the new participant that allow them to decrypt the messages you send and allow you to decrypt messages that they are trying to send you. Ignore them, and they cannot understand you or vice versa.

1. phuzz Silver badge

"They can update the app, but egress traffic from each participant cannot be avoided without fundamentally changing the protocol."

AFAIK if you were traffic sniffing your phone, all you'd see is encrypted packets going to/from Whatsapp's servers, so there'd be no way to tell there.

As for "ignoring the keys", I mean that currently if someone is added to a group chat, you would normally get a notification along the lines of "J BLoggs has been added to this chat". They could add a client side update such that when GCHQ is added to a group chat, it did not notify the user.

This wouldn't be possible with an open protocol like PGP, but when the only way of using Whatsapp is a closed source program, there's no way of telling what's happening to your conversations other than trusting them.

1. Adam 1

WhatsApp is a closed source app that implements an open source protocol (signal).

If they add the capability to generate a new group key-pair whenever requested by the server without authorisation within the app, then a systemic weakness had just been included that anyone who manages to pwn WhatsApp servers can now exploit.

You might as well just let the server manage the session keys.

And if you have ever run a Java decompiler (I have but for the record, not on WhatsApp or any other application for which I did not have permission to do so), you would struggle to hide "if (request.Guid==magicGuid) return true;" inside the method responsible for collecting user's consent. The bad guys would have that line NO-OPd within minutes of it being discovered, or they will just move onto whatever other app that implements the signal protocol but is based in whoknowswhere.

1. cyberdemon Silver badge
                  Devil

Unfortunately Adam, I don't think the government really cares THAT much about the 'bad guys' :(

What governments REALLY worry about are the masses. If people en-masse got angry, they could make themselves a completely new government.

If some 'bad guy' blows up a hundred, or even a thousand people, it's not really a problem for a government, in the grand scheme of things. It may even help them, by keeping the masses afraid of such things and persuade them to give up some of their freedoms.

The kinds of people who do mass surveillance are only interested in the software used by the masses, i.e. facebook and whatsapp (at the moment).. If you went and used some third-party app that implemented the Signal protocol but didn't pass on your keystrokes to GCHQ, then you would perhaps be flagged on some watch-list or learning system for being an 'abnormal' person, but really they are not that interested in you unless you can communicate with millions of people..

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You'd be amazed how quickly intelligence services' positions on case-by-case wiretapping can 'evolve':

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/update-to-isc-on-gchq-use-of-bulk-equipment-interference-3-december-2018

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
          Facepalm

Better break out that pack of one-time pads

3. Tomato42

US was big so it could strong-arm crypto makers in the 90's to implement "export grade" crypto, a mistake we most recently paid for this year, almost 20 years after it was deemed unnecessary

somehow I don't see Ozzies to be this "successful"

1. Nick Kew

Aussies will get their backdoors to services operated by Aussie companies. What happens outside that could be popcorn-time.

In an ironic twist, it was an aussie (Eric Young) who first gave us SSLeay, the ancestor of OpenSSL, back in an era when Oz was part of the Free World and the US was almost-uniquely[1] restricted.

I wonder how you could modify OpenSSL to open a backdoor for malicious third-party-key injection? No, I'm not going to work on it.

[1] Among developed countries.

4. RunawayLoop

Watch out for an incoming "update" to your phone...

5. redpawn

This is good

It is a return to the time before people had to lock their doors. You should feel much safer now.

1. Agamemnon

Re: This is good

I have lived in both places and times where "Lock Your Door" was just a concept worthy of ridicule. I would be aghast!

Looking back, I realize now it was laziness and hubris, mostly.

[Note: I suspect your down-vote came from someone who hasn't lived in those times, or who has and got burned.]

6. SVV

They're not fair dinkum!

This is just so much the best sounding way of avoiding the use of considered, reasoned arguments about the merits of a particular course of action for politicians, that I propose that all politicians worldwide must now do so, instead of all this Fake News! Take back control! unimaginative crap we've been hearing in the Northern hemisphere for what feels like forever.

I think I could sort of tolerate this much better as at least it makes no pretence at being meaningful and it sounds good. Maybe after about the 500th time, I might begin to tire of it though.

7. tcmonkey

I’ve hated my government on many occasions but I have never, NEVER felt as ashamed of them as I do right now.

8. SNAFUology
    Devil

!@#$Fsg34=#5^GSHJ+ASdgAE$_wfaewgefH

Just sent a load of old hash irregularly thru any of your usual messaging apps, make it look like some encrypted messaging - it'll drive them nuts, provided they suspect you of something of course.

1. FooCrypt

Re: !@#$Fsg34=#5^GSHJ+ASdgAE$_wfaewgefH

U2FsdGVkX1+K3FJiAVWplFDFxwsprLqDNmYC+8E7yn2nk3q0CPlQcSY4bF/Ih7IP

R37eW4rljeOyWABVgp0fCj/+uvajD5NyTgx4ZXgJqXEe+O48nrP8uU80HP7Inr5z

OmrfV0V/hIkRtoBIYgin5j/hwagaoo1sJRSDbzcmAY1+x7NCs+CrJvv1C/OXuUSa

rXDlz2QhSXaeOULVB7Dhtwih3ktb0lfbJro/1GdH28jSHdzcyFrJpDUO1FBm0LHf

G0rKG3Lk4o5QbVhKdQ5NfVSvvw+k+CV5VEYn0IoExoRUZvVEtnW7iwHwaNSV2HTb

jhrPw2V+sJp80Vo3dqZbCmSKKeB30pC107GNm7okO7soWJQ8MVF/O6rSQSBm0+aV

bdEELyvL6g9eBzLiHB3aHnaZ6kSpz16XB4654X/bc4po3uAJdLjsHuR7BgZ40Rxt

mT+HdgewHQLrrkzXXXGqMmffj1GQ5Y7ogWGtGrz0ObBo3M5pKAL/Mew5+I7yMc8/

jflwXqtGRgNC2tYntK+2I3t/Eg4VbLu0nnB85qOgkSO5hwsp135VlE+eASuJJmAa

hqih5L+LbKGbCwfAYEaZ+/g1K4V9MMmG1TWkyN0qVWKSg9bqLmHf8wh2fTBZynIx

8NPKsAdHfImxuWk61pz8zJbVQ1N8Onl9110ykM70pVktU/w9prNmeL3IwvcR1i82

gDDd1I9nvZAm2w1nIWxPtbbEXzuw/ZUAOh9o3BIp3CVaigNl6DHSjj2Ow73EZImH

uPawLmGvTE57a2jlUOt3RZp26FTDfEhS0rrtLrJnWEv6fC4TgRecOS3s8Uo2pZba

BR7T42wZC6yY14hGq8TQpLTT89AWvlSglJEAQ5V4CafmYaWH91kZ9hhWuFckaB5z

YG0aYiIZYpqroJZS0WpoOszz03mZ56IUYOGQPt6cY9MtZKLjFKDzLCdPhdDoNy+G

QOGgH7AkcdY0nEhrWxP0R2rIN4D7PskE3b6em32ec7Wc8FLNpYNtOfSZ8bmp+h3n

/VmKCGCtwXmNOXiv6UADJGIDCBNJK1SIVeCGNbfF7Q3esWw/GhaX3mwG6RDbodjr

g6cMaiu9smyBfJYIbj5O/fc0dovgLbrPo7EiQULLSvkVs8kuSemV7P2woWqMkRYN

lkbiTmgBP9N/4wksbkkG2Beuj7qu2TfXrfKFrcucitIjN18HHAYgxWjEw+qIEdGS

ngHq/8O3o3yzfbaUOLHsQOpnHDd9g93j5lbcOCDBX1j7vwW1QpTiUkD43RghrBFG

7k/5e3zEjaWxJLlPOefD08AjV/y/f+fjyTq26whzB+L/AuB+wTTtkTw30Axr1k5g

a0wfLno76opnSg6I8jT1pPDSpqMFfC1ksp0mwn3vNic5hbTw+w9ucSlzAM883q2L

l50m/a3lsvIltVXBCxasg/gN+uFXc8IzNy7xQdAPlI0Ru/nE8+4RMRNuO8qYKNLo

8sA3/vgvLIkuDRo+1mJrJ2spCLGXz7GEYrHz9Ao85noek7SjJopUElExHAsW48p9

Wti6cYcp+g/ZVrZAlUtIwXTSS7lMSPMMH8hUIO8JmED6zPHM5sc7RQ414+arUfIh

AxPa/kFJdmf7rtdT3ne8xmFbQVPT/TrKHRQC7vPNPvBo7lzd6oFAIXHMjjdfcVZP

Ugd0K6cYoNUCpCtDash54EhnviJi9swdDOPKZtBOcrRjgSwg6xxgESAOe0QLeg4X

X6wkXwoautqFS4PB3nTpTZf8WfPgG3E26j+2G0qxaLNHkqLNoIfUojN3XJoQmcoM

d58B+hs6Q75Fz3t9ih9t3/TsrxFkOHL2OqRQeBjTrtsnjqb0O01mqXJXVWSXHLzM

6Um3Qwr9ESFukCH2nhmCLtJA1n1wczuaF+O4hAU4SLo4ax00b8ZBE0BtVxvmauZd

oQvDpKfoyIclWsxJc4ZcSjs59ngjYs6I7Y+Q+ChN/yK6u49FvNxDGQvYCAIjHs9N

PHZ1BKVh3T04Vb4hnUwmVuoOjPUwR61rvFUC2CbgpikqqudF/vRINsEyEHkLMtRh

Fyr8RrozzW52YHLMNnMlWHW5LG1ym2Jpq1/Kc7aOs2C1UKV8q5Q2i3tHNwsUGOYw

bRLEi8XpCEKRPRmxmE1MVxtDQUlQHOFGKxXqtK8heczxrmFkq/WtKZ7p3n3b6JhF

md4s2B66t5VlCTYWhYBpY1lE7GCnIzF2K6nKu3uMeAc+A6CxTIjSkee955UMKpgI

/WJYz4qZRV9iz2IyyE+Lt4R4qmphsPXBJbr9ati3hiJuEhgoAQFrJ+zltkgh68GX

V7kyS2b/21w9jdt+zjY42DdomD5FIxyEhGtq+A2q2wI8cXGGawBWJ5LC8fYRhRF7

8Wf67FcVtGeZ/0M/ayrfTEbnNQJ5s6yju2vgBEMgpSEOW2iNzZia5nQXITz91DfS

/RN33cn30zR/QOe76I1m955obCrHcHKu7ctRkwuyyyG7T6if34TrdTOhu1v278yw

gMdB2TyJykgsv8mcM4hF14gNDCUYq4ytu5kPUTnP1b3AOizx/Y5jOMinBrDl7i+c

wkBQbbHy/GdVWkMI12L5JzUf1VsqGHmsKdR4hpkDGzW8K+GdNZxaOp45+ZG2Yl4U

b4CO2BlPh6s5QSqjvmS2lWdUFGxbzbU8ys+9Mht3J3jInYNjX2PDE7ub54F26J3O

Wy/C2cqtwwtK8s6HAH758xhvPMGJaMzfR61uivNTSSJUpYTyj11YVFwQHD2Vm8ID

AY0OERem2/BM2u/cPnb0gjxv6f/26T+YM6NXOPmb1cYlg2wfcJrSIpOr9wt9gSMu

9Iw1ecjPLotxa2VSVNABSbRxL60c98q9AcB016gSa7OgxWs5vSR5b/y2iKv09YnO

FjeReHGSBGwwDxZx0brAW37pqDpzcPuNSG5Nqb2/9u8bl4qG+1taBqGBzwe1Xop6

au4pwgKte4JBR7ACPGKxy+tnWyzj8rrf+gZiYUbhEvLXdkJ/wJ4/Bo6WMqYhaqP0

3ag43p4umhDmeBwTD7vkMIJMIcaGEtvgsnSjkwupwFh4GbkXVohdUAJEvC+hUxHO

47uzRAcbWHL6Lgu6b/U312l8BMFsf+akMMm5SCSijmlGIopM2RGl8ZENKSLe8foT

fpRpNZ72g7ysHbmldkMXlv8vnA7J+efjG7TnomQS/anFz3vQEsd/5K0SFF0A4Bsj

pw10LUMT2z44ICfdq4fKArvAOBOpPqkDtS5w68b9kRIjwb5BghC5iQrddMN5r3cD

LUSVLGTbnFkBSOJWf/uOOlNK8hTXVjtvVcGqvt8YtAYN0FUJU73iJLNtHZeZca09

hIwgmtFgIYbs5S0wu4VzbUCrj0YdhODco8NhszvL9Tisc9bBsN+qBN9jcWic5h/z

5KhdWuhQe7BJiDdea+UyH8xYSUFZoj4WLDAKAXhTWHpQfdPT+yVbAlA4fgjYpnjV

1y1uAeVtabHAtDuKPa5QJsSRuA1T+V46WUUVUIag6BFDP2EMSBw22UrzdpaorSUr

yTz0FLHytejbx1MsuaeGysGpKuO0tXU2KDClpWc1EyO5a5/u5Dw1NDk3JBjRKO3M

2WhQyvWRO72v7CSkgqT36SzQ/+Yq9JHTdi/URMh1SxPq5uXTgypJQTazU42R6awY

mxWogQEoShjru9uh2iXGvRHc1JzUeey6WgaeX44do7zSRQUTipLtd9O8QhwuCy7p

ErROEWnlnPF8fMlo8RrYAuiwxecmQO1w4prXoY3zkTcBabtdpnHKHNhYo6n7qhPW

0YNAcvk7qT6RRYFkjXxxZtbzNy3ADN9xC0trzfpsW5eWO3ManjzRV84wAK6/mhhQ

IuehIa6RmN+E2B55JxJ1JYVQCqzR7jM4jnGA4LYO7J2PB+QSyxYD9ugQzi38/ypZ

Fcg+piSD87oTt5Jv9MoGiRiyEK5ap6zvkzQcZElCEKEFkwuxJNkyM56C6U2oMeqV

TknZ4tA7RDuvOfZEhesmwuOtAcWlQdY+r+w42Uv1JJHCeKe4cxzAG6ikq7lrr3HU

YXF1LNTAfHixE1SYnzCijC+1k+3v+0s7cCbdcBs4Nnwa27i8JHjbhrYJufVn4iqe

FxVx4Ypn1cG0s/Qh1k/Sb1ZfG39ncOElQaVFcD7xl4XMu+1mzsHyywXBd1s14PHp

iAzMeDPYgajVGI5XtaScILCTp9Y8dA9kTfZz8NY80O9uh0jrPkSWOtqC6F694QWM

O1JrsuSKcVUbFFlAbI56ik2buSSENqd8kN7whWcuoBOCUSCayUWqJUWzhs9wQXgk

770UUS47BveQM73F1y8aLxHoU6ywRd1h3hiQMmh7l5MU3p9rND2jIiE6PtoFmP9L

EHWKa1foioCAP2tsWdCfw763NVtYwlW2yFZb9q7NN0cb9cOd7F6FLkedvuxuNQsr

e56QBlFgT30vK9VmVQJDbPpVX/k9wuRh8/NOwylxr9zzJuU32ciTOixpmSmyjDUU

ftas+5hCClpmNxkydIyg7iHHjJQGPwzDvTk/vrAXQ8ci9yrQWJfhl9Bttas9m1pv

6RnuOaMr5iVeAL3klw6N1zy1JJLPwqp5FabdtPYpYjwxcYtqpRyNuBsK3zVCndOu

r6TwjCCP0zyl4x3P/2/4V46WYRDbKc6H5kO/MIb6TNDjPbWY0fbHvXn/nryiPjlP

feMjdbHI82INPe9spr0YWBihm9+bCUDE9k+N21JJd0WEVDEi5nXbbBrTNKpQ5ntW

XmcrVbTVqvGgfkcj1FIwmaQZsLpOdxhh6qYKKklLTKFULvKDX2LhGixWpto0nCeI

X9sxcTqmSB6g29IVJ+hQanzTzT3ILXxedlDZgJBVkU7KYaruaskxRDfyjRNN6t7n

iUw5i1Pq/XpB9YXz2Bv6dE0+t29L6NJxLmgGxW75pmcz1AUgcX7USY8ELm+it4db

vnj7+EnWFJ7CsrVLuuR5fRTAt+l4ltXM5FVqtJQrcBw6Eh+JoKfU6xvBGUkQLoNk

nNiIknwkcZioMWLlLxyAtv/PsUzu8eSqZ0u/pNXhCsYbCjabX71zr1P+HypPhWpc

2c2ZKCrbGPDCW08Ilmiw1LiOkDMWS/i0UdDy+uF0wzp119UbpXmNRkfOVMmfhOZz

7BDuu5mH8jeFkxqYctkWguu1TL1a2PlqjJnzX4l2e6+gtuisA0PVMltppfDZ1tB4

tTDHxw9AM8ykehUpfsUsda7P64ZdQQTlcMWbc0aHUmn+jJMzFqH2V+rlQgWAe1SY

muTXr/JmoXIpeeA52nnvYyLgT4a1lMHjahFeC1Yl/IOO+BdxOBWsPwhn4zrpHIgw

t/Or6z4TVN5EGDrbZznQcu0v8Iy/w7Nc5CYOHSY5ZcSmDqj7so5sZtAL8+uqk13p

SHaK/LhfSbkqYPYHeyHHkeQWXug8Y+0D2ajxch+ZSrz9JoncpIaDrM6mYKLKy32s

PJ80fPCkiHwz/TGTt0fSjiyc5DvCoDBqip5LLV3P9COXJjsmDXS+O0tWTBM8RLkA

qWGG28kb6oKkLZF8qsuwxZpEqYqBvnUcnyEdHS9H1r6DhVYWehO0nV1EEcsL/8b7

xk+uIaoDDXYI24GqUDqKNpmJ9rPo88wy7UD7Dk3yl1TAuYby/T6Mv0iRCGF/9Tmp

aAFsY5NKYH08lO5ClmrvJJhaitdjB79fzzy3HAH0FhhHwdx229sLPyuOzOqfIQwP

vYn+sLvU6TAt6dP+d4qPqSCMI6IhmQUgGHfRBZT2iVk3/yUCGZ7bUntEVYGUZdbd

NVrJvbWSy7h7wNwVgKXJWLKD+2fYXtyz+nSFhkAwT//9aPXvh7KrhQdIJh25ffAt

r+Vl0B2qSmhWVWe39dvA1prWsQIVuq1B1Vg0k6CHDd/UqMlixIZroyv30WN40MT+

5nEO08938l52JGWqtH64Kg9Rx58/VT24dsKewKncwhTl/SjS+lOOFi+Snv1WHH+M

n5gdTuoXpLr9PWqwqqoNWsZEPxH3UyLLgpNBZjKxperzbaoBNTKizipO4SXsJuzt

gwvIM9/FNBTGAzZmRFtozXeEAUEx+D8tyo1tivPwxtuLkG/SJCAKbIBEYjF1mehw

qz83nWvvJYSCXO6FHgx4cagbMNFi97+s/cFu7Er270HfJVGj38Z962oLXXxL4800

CNN87AUPWtJabtj2MuHVrzt3uySWpB3yUUO6kcBPu4fhDhYHnNZ8eU8djSpD2pBa

AAZZHWHsAUjs3ZBhvZobu0fOzRuLXqLykO5Q1+dlcgiB+xbRKq9r1ANLrmJe4ioX

GcZR/31/CsvyxMCWssxbx9ptDkUPTGUEHDnsYioS/4YwXonWH80ba8dktySBu9Gy

wV0LAD0Sz81d8hul9sgH6fA8yqA83pjurdMfRgeQNYfib44CL5VocLyffyV7DL2a

VnLaAnPLojLtklnvjb7161XgGBADZUSvLpWyLbP7fnlM+Swhdg+dzKyYLyz3DHPQ

C7TWkEllzJHiYgusQ8tPdFa+abWA6qWBafTqNMCZAKpYaGSLUtDOft7NfywFSHLq

VMxzlThNL5XdMXd8M8dqGtMV7coXcJt5yWNhnC7OK1s8a5vQw0GykMFfHI0JS7kN

Frdp+rAUXVwK1QhGL+91kfu69uvy1vT2vLVhqrXBBpNT/zh3rK/Gwqp7D1CGmQAh

EbHI/wnz7+97a24Z13ElUtlZcknXWb6BXHSqWTNgZKMKp8m5RazEG33Ce6z5DaIY

PLiHO7VMXv4IOkmKyObTpQUN+5WOAveIhAq7bro3WWH8xa8EG2pzXuxTqyNC97or

3AEbhegqj0otkE8fNbHKSLjeN3LKpEPLeBbMtRoENJT/SxcW13RFVHOCpN/uT8ug

toLA9vK7silnomiAZgVnpJTIcpVuESdE4FtoP1r3bBmfjszscY+PrOnScx5F5dct

3btZdbGCpmUz++nUxD3QeK+psxd3Qibn+7Cd01Pab2NIb5QZKv3scVv/KlB4eY4/

aUYnn378CShJgDx4bWqrDId3l0mEp3Bt6LgTj+sn61yH25g53xSFMUmgdQiTAHwr

/aezC+J2JqTw/Tx1PgTAUR2iQnbLHz6HNXrF7cVYiELz22PC/dDLUN2wh0088MrA

KxSN9W8p5/y6TH749PFqHx1HsK+FXADw1KExYUFoy4IoxQ4hA3x/rEMtzhSDYPKW

E6wi7jHiAjrmrMy2S1ahTb0ULwt32MFA0hCu2f3gQsXEoZ8P36HUb0dQ8LshMziO

dvZT61M65O77rdN10VpbeT3l9bnyFe2+oeCzK1lun0ViW4diY/wKSKKkYmtip3pM

NGggxTvDVwxNQbtxbt8JtMKEc0jXrpG2jt4GzkuVufQC0engieE1SGcZNswptsUw

VTFP3ZAI4P00Bwm6qc8q+la3WtBGYR5T+IlYtxQAMuH0gH+MLCWBciLSNqCjh0dd

jUwnWR1gsL3H5IIQtpKwA+owQek994rwEdgcDOCg7PzfhOpltqN7c1ZLC8zqWH73

u3J07R3jFuobG4t0JiavbQLWYZNmtTUexsGCJFxDtzlEIBms3b6Moinl3OHAevhS

1RURKjgDm2N6CWEzrQB4yxOwrogqA1ay3Qj18FBaIljivnjjD1OqZ8Rdd6MOIQ9i

cvzUtKFaSwWqe80TiSLTCt6DHKRqkkGDIP+FP1XQTZguFD7Lt4pPSWdwmUt39pHO

VrIMsDJ2lJry5j++gX4Wfht3dl/P6LcEQ7LsSweR86Fkd+SO04vwlR8/QJ9H13vB

yidX+assdOLmQR7YNRE34pnv1f97WcHCn1i2QDeDiAQJPBMrIWbn1rm9XXeLo15+

/rDESnOUiWYW63j1NMD1LCPK0hhxssWchyTDcB7qqQEuJ9qYE97zOSDUsN8he+bY

okvIWvvx774Ihxz/gd3EqPhxN/tXyX2yT4TekVX8RSYfHY7ChOKiwxsecekUKXEd

ZBtPN0QRPQl8yygbw6xVK57yyjFb2plV1+ESwTngct/NTOrJ4Epil4aGsL+5xE7u

elVhhM3xmYANHSWOr9ieSaLTwMpd4VVD3VGPobi1TmyGy4pxilzq+j86seE7a7Qa

vgnWVY+LeqZ4oJWxaNjgiynq8akTZWw+hxDmUnMDHi/PCNbGbVtTQnlfTbBvk7zk

0WoZNgTt6XmG+IMpSM75NgyQJzP+wQbra+boiUKRCkwavCkMeREkb7WHmp00tFom

rFR7FaTf+cj8DzbomHk1TfVlAEggCog/qCC2m21otgOtGft0Pbf8QhfxT42o2G6F

2F7+6zwBd60KreDwIQJmAqbvDI8lqPScJnoj31wPvMi2zKJiD9O1YFm4f+A96ivz

6cXzdAgh03rWZKyxSjCuUaw59V5wP5BCC5Zm1+73NIRuGlQepTNxj0loGmUz9I7h

Td+laRdELilEPREOmNuIhCyTfDwCwD9S5HfdCaC2kpSTJfytRcQcaZEFDoB/UnzX

Jqp0e11N7Z79rzKIibXhqc/zypPfaQa5PEYNy/VN9mnZbYMswfe+HtvPAr5Ut1Pi

rVEpzOe7Z9vxEwN9/dGxUAFxGoJM8D7NZtqnTWHP/bYqbgX15BbDVOsckttHMGtU

Pd8N4m++4VBZknxO6uqtp3cNQ461W+5WdBC+Dg5N7LdP2s6ahOc4GISMh8D37+Bn

S/JmqvyqNe2kW2mPg5vEqFmKxNdgM5HZJDMr8Wn/KjmacoIhU5W4VJY0gsAuZal4

C49rkmJSXTJ5Py/q9hsK+++ZWJ+VOfyxUt9YwhIDHMDSvy3EXOHOUTH3c0KDgPkk

NVA/Y+Fs7R4Q63DR5eyKuEIhW5rJ74bHsmuFL74AMQjhX2bXVwJQpUDEgUvF2vXm

7NMhSMVkHw+MHDXsNu/7DCr5k3WuFSqunOLCNaI8kz6fwDWGELRVDUFHp1W4jrkI

0N71hUwUKjOil7gC41Vf9MLjt3Qlijde86W5IDEBytrzZsCXiG1lAlCEQdwPOhgO

pZ1jQVm1wAFV3VkC91qGBrfvM7+cNDM52wKjZigqaXAh+NKhg8s3IEpM+445lJNW

bPj3k7PP4DPboIjZpf12PpDr/KvFlwfKlely10AtxRSNUywRqw+s4g5viiueZpsO

2d/CGK+IRzy0J6jocXKhnc6PRt/aMl61CQ86Al9qha4b9FJEEndKxspGF+/+c4qT

U1zUCOH6mPzDQ5iL504cepotdBxAs2Lx0TjTUPulg5mAWMPj8U5DuYwRru4gglrF

jtAKg4ZYDNnP2MDkDjQEo9lDihYoIDfz04+4Nzgqvfhu9BzCbc3zNYdTnEOw2W++

1. Someone Else Silver badge

@FooCrypt -- Re: !@#$Fsg34=#5^GSHJ+ASdgAE$_wfaewgefH

Hey! You just posted the code of Microsoft's latest C++ compiler!

1. FooCrypt

Re: @FooCrypt -- !@#$Fsg34=#5^GSHJ+ASdgAE$_wfaewgefH

@Someone Else

It was a highly sensitive message containing various amounts of the ASCII table ( 32 - 126 ) arranged in an order that constructs a message.

Whats M$ C++ ??

2. TimMaher Silver badge
        Coat

Sorry to be pedantic but... line 50, column 16 should have been an ‘L’ rather than an ‘l’, if you are writing in higher crytpese.

I’ll get my coat. It is the one with the OTP in the pocket.

3. N2
        Joke

root certificate to Microsofts DNS servers?

2. jake Silver badge

begin 644 annoy.txt

M"FQD(&AA<V@@:7)R96=U;&%R;'D@=&AR=2!A;GD@;V8@>6]U<B!U<W5A;"!M

M97-S86=I;F<@87!P<RP@;6%K92!I="!L;V]K(&QI:V4@<V]M92!E;F-R>7!T

M960@;65S<V%G:6YG("T@:70G;&P@9')I=F4@=&AE;2!N=71S+"!P<F]V:61E

K9"!T:&5Y('-U<W!E8W0@>6]U(&]F('-O;65T:&EN9R!O9B!C;W5R<V4N"@``

`

end

1. FooCrypt

You know they wont look unless they match a string that proves the text is encrypted in some way...;)

Salted__<8a>ÜRb^AU©<94>PÅÇ^K)¬º<83>6f^BûÁ;Ê}§<93>z´^HùPq&8l_È<87>²^OG~Þ[<8a>å<8d>ã²X^@U<82><9d>^_

<83><86>X^LÙÏØÀä^N4^D£ÙC<8a>^V( 7óÓ<8f>¸78*½ønô^\ÂmÍó5<87>S<9c>C°Ùo¾

3. Tony Paulazzo

provided they suspect you of something of course

They always suspect you of something! It's in the nature of their work that no one is innocent...

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Just sent a load of old hash irregularly thru any of your usual messaging apps, make it look like some encrypted messaging - it'll drive them nuts, provided they suspect you of something of course."

Of course they'll suspect you of something if you seem to be using encryption.

Why would you do that in the first place unless you're a Bad GuyTM who has something to fear because he has something to hide, hmm?

5. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Just sent a load of old hash irregularly thru any of your usual messaging apps, make it look like some encrypted messaging

Or use a variant of Rivest's chaff-and-winnow protocol: send a bunch of noise, with the actual signal mixed in, where the recipient has a mechanism for filtering, such as validating a signature on the signal fragments.

Encrypt all the fragments, and let the spooks decrypt them all. Only the recipient knows which are valid.

9. FooCrypt

They are a bunch of children, playing with our security....

The government sets the sitting days for both houses of parliament. There was no reason what so ever to explain why the government could not have extended the parliament sitting hours yesterday, or added more days this year to resolve all the flaws in the legislation instead of packing their bags and going home, forcing Labour ( who does not have the insights into the actual intelligence reports on the xmas terrorist attacks mentioned by ASIO ) to pass the legislation.

The 3 billion dollar Encryption export sector has just gone to ZERO....!

If you know of immigration opportunities for encryption software companies, let me know.

FooCrypt, prides itself on providing a solution that "takes away the ‘BAD GUYS’", including crappy legislation that destroys human rights and civil liberties. Oz Government included.

10. John Savard

Puzzling

I can only guess that the Labor Party leadership was simply terrified that a terrorist attack might happen in Australia over the Christmas holidays.

Since there is obviously a minority government, or what the opposition Labor Party liked wouldn't have mattered, perhaps when Parliament comes back into session they could just table a bill to repeal this whole mess if amendments aren't forthcoming.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Puzzling

With a month to even respond to a notice, this had nothing whatsoever to do with security over the holidays. More political bullshit and crappy mindless mainstream journalism, just like we're used to DU.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

I can only guess that the Labor Party leadership was simply terrified that a terrorist attack might happen in Australia over the Christmas holidays.

It can happen anyway. With or without crypto-busting legislation.

While accepting Somali (and other) refugees more or less with no questions asked in the 70-es was right and moral, not mandating integration always gets you in the end.

It is the norm that in the absence of integration the second generation swerves widely to the right of Attila the Hun. Whatever the underlying reason, that is a well known fact.

People may cringe at what, for example, the Danish are doing, but as far long term social stability what they are doing is the right thing. We need more of that.

3. Mark 85

Let's face it... that's a bullshit argument. Unless they mean the "holidays of 2019 or later". A quick look at the calendar suggests that any attacks for this year are or should be already planned, terrorists in place, and "radio silence" enforced until the planned day all hell breaks loose.

This just purely fear mongering and a power grab.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Hey Yall Watch This

"Ain't no piranhas in this encryption river! Hold our beer and we'll show ya!"

12. Dagg Silver badge
    Big Brother

Idiots

I now feel less secure with the passing of the new legislation designed to allow the government security agencies to access encrypted internet communications.

No matter what the government says the only way to implement this is to weaken encryption and once the encryption has been weakened this will also allow other foreign governments, tech savvy criminal groups and unscrupulous companies to also intercept your private communications.

No matter what “protections” such as warrants that the government puts in place mandating how the security agencies can access this information the other entities are not controlled by these protections. And the argument that “if you haven’t done anything wrong you have nothing to fear” means nothing when your personal details / banking details / health information / etc are stolen by 3rd parties not answerable to the Australian government.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Big Brother

Re: Idiots

"if you haven’t done anything wrong you have nothing to fear”

I've just applied some basic logic circuits to this one (with all due precautions on overload/paradox etc.) and observed the following..

1. The only people who are afraid of this legislation are people who understand it technically and how it will affect the relationship between the people and government

2. The only people who understand this legislation in this sense are intelligent and have a moral conscience/sense of preservation for the whole of society and not just themselves

Therefore, for the original statement to be true, it can be considered 'wrong' to be both intelligent and have a moral conscience.

Now you know what the people who utter that phrase really believe.

1. jake Silver badge

This is a variation on "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear".

Might I point out that you don't have a plate glass exterior wall in your shower, and you do have drapes over the windows in your living room & bedroom ... and hopefully there is a door between your toilet and the rest of your house. What are you hiding? Are you a criminal?

Privacy isn't always covering something illegal.

1. Nick Kew

Might I point out that you don't have a plate glass exterior wall in your shower,

True. It's clear perspex.

and you do have drapes over the windows in your living room & bedroom

No I don't.

and hopefully there is a door between your toilet and the rest of your house.

There is, but it stays open. Well, OK, I shut it to keep the roomba out if the floor's wet. And occasionally for guests.

But I do have locks on both front and back doors, and indeed a burglar alarm. Nothing to hide, but just possibly something to fear?

13. Phil Kingston

I hear the second bill of the next parliamentary year is one to stop the ocean tide.

Be interesting to see if any tech companies announce plans to just not have an Australian presence any more.

1. JohnMurray

Just call it the "Canute" bill....

2. Tomato42

no, they are going to outlaw CO₂ thus solving Global Warming once and for all

Once And For All!

1. Adam 1

> no, they are going to outlaw CO₂ thus solving Global Warming once and for all

You know, I'm doubtful that they'd get such a proposal through their party room .... You'd need to convince them that CO2 was bad first.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fools on the hill

Secure in their madness.

15. Maelstorm Bronze badge

At least our Congress is intelligent enough to realize that you cannot legislate science.

1. FooCrypt

I think they have been reading the congress notes from the mid 90's key escrow laws, not to mention munitions

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

the congress notes from the mid 90's key escrow laws, not to mention munitions

In the US, key escrow and cryptography-as-munitions were both moves by the executive branch, not the legislative. Congress didn't have anything directly to do with them. (Key escrow, particularly the Clipper Chip, came from the NSA and was pushed by the Clinton administration; including cryptography as munitions was done by the State Department.)

Not that it matters much - in the Foolishness Sweepstakes, the executive and the legislative both have plenty of awards.

16. Mike Lewis

As Thijs-vr on Reddit said

Canberra is filled with a bunch of retards when it comes to anything with a current running through it.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Joke

Re: As Thijs-vr on Reddit said

"a digital watch?"

-courtesy of 'Not the 9 O'clock News'

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As Thijs-vr on Reddit said

Canberra is filled with a bunch of enemies of the people.

TFTFY

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

on the bright side ...

those muppets have apparently, in some countries, dropped the proverbial encryption backdoor and all of the magical thinking behind.

A by law wiretap may be the less of evil, after all. But yes, it will get abused, as well, but to a lesser extend.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

There's no technical difference

A wiretap is a backdoor, and exposes your privates to anyone and everyone who cares to try.

When wiretapping meant physically clipping onto actual wires, it was less serious because a miscreant who did it would have been found out relatively quickly.

Under this legislation, wiretaps become automated and thus any miscreant, anywhere in the world can create one. For example, on the private communications of the Australian Prime Minister.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank you very much, government ..

.. says practically every software developer in Oz.

How on earth is any Oz code cutter going to prove their code isn't fitted with a backdoor if that has effectively become a legal requirement? Way to go to pretty much nuke an industry, and to promote the use of non-Oz services*.

* Someone in Australia can still be served with a warrant for access to their data, but surveillance will be interesting when everyone reverts to using non Australian software.

Unbelievably stupid decision IMHO.

1. FooCrypt

Re: Thank you very much, government ..

Im looking at immigration opportunities to bypass what has been an on going 5 year struggle against the Liberal Parties stance on encryption. If you know any, message me via www.foocrypt.net.

I was nuked 2.7 years ago, the Australian Signals Directorate placed a caveat in my Defence Export Controls permit, wanting to know if my software or variations are used in Weapon of Mass Destruction programs.

Be Protected, Get ….…..

The FooKey METHOD :

http://foocrypt.net/the-fookey-method

The common flaws in ALL encryption technologies to date are :

1. Typing on a KeyBoard to enter the password

2. Clicking on the Mouse / Pointer device that controls the location of the cursor

3. Some person or device looking / recording your screen as you type the password

4. The human developing a password that is easily guess, or can be brute forced due to its length

5. Sharing the password with a third party to decrypt the data

6. Storing the encrypted data in a secure location so no unauthorised access can be made to either the key(s) to decrypt the data or the encrypted data itself

7. The Right Wing Policies of the Liberal Party of Australia, being forced into law

FooCrypt, A Tale Of Cynical Cyclical Encryption, takes away the ‘BAD GUYS’ by providing you with software engineered to alleviate all the above.

19. Christoph

"because we're not going to go home and leave the Australian people on their own over Christmas.

Why all this whinging about Australian software? If they can get this designed, coded, tested, and up and running on all the multitude of different systems and have that all in place well before this Christmas, Australian software must be by far the best in the world. No other country could even begin to do anything so complex in that timescale.

1. StargateSg7

"....Why all this whinging about Australian software? If they can get this designed, coded, tested, and up and running on all the multitude of different systems and have that all in place well before this Christmas, Australian software must be by far the best in the world. No other country could even begin to do anything so complex in that timescale...."

--

Done and Finished! You can NOW HAVE Quantum Computing resistant communications (Lattice/Invariate/One-time PAD) PLUS CAAST-256 x 3 (768 bits) that is BOTH peer-to-peer AND runs on top of AND outside of Facebook, Google/Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook, Skype and any web browser app to encrypt your communications.

Nothing ANYONE can do about it as it is ALL Open Source and Completely FREE --- Only GNU GPL3 copyrights are imposed.

20. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Just pull out,...

... the big players should, temporarily, block comms in Oz. No Facebook, Google, Whatsapp etc, for a couple of days, maybe a week. Turn Oz into a data wasteland, just to show the Govt what hackers could do to them if backdoors were exploited. Then, once the populace have revolted and hung all the politicians from the nearest Eucalyptus tree, their replacements might have a different attitude.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sick

What's really sick about this is that the bastards deliberately delayed parliament to avoid a vote to look after sick kids yet scrambled to get this excrement through.

22. EricM
    Boffin

Australia is doing a favor to the world

by showing what happens when you elect grossly incompetent persons to govern you.

A state led by incompetent persons (expletitive removed) will act incompetent. Or like in this case like a moron.

I am sure this attempt legislating away mathematics will be watched carefully by a worldwide audience.

To all Australians: Sorry for you, guys... Hope the world will at least learn from your sacrifice how not to do security legislation.

And try to not also screw up the upcoming elections...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Australia is doing a favor to the world

The US has shown the same thing, or have you not noticed our orange faced buffoon who thinks he's king?

2. Mark 85

After the private sector sucks up all those intelligent yet power hungry and greedy folks, what's left for government? The choice for elected officials is pretty bad world wide due to the lack of critical thinking processes on the candidates' part.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Mark 85

The problem isn't the lack of critical thinking processes on the part of (most) candidates. It is the lack of critical thinking processes in voters. When republicans have an ever growing checklist of requirements to be considered a "real" republican (and now need a blessing by king Trump) they need to put any critical thinking skills they have on hold. Which is why the only congressmen willing to stand up to Trump are the ones on their way out the door.

Democrats look to be following the same playbook, as recently there have been suggestions from some democratic donors that potential 2020 democratic candidate Beto O'Rourke isn't "progressive enough" and actually said electing him would be like electing Obama again. Bernie or bust I guess, nevermind his age. Just like Bush and Reagan couldn't win nomination in today's republican party, perhaps before long Clinton (Bill) and Obama couldn't win nomination in today's democratic party.

3. VikiAi
      Unhappy

Don't feel sorry for us (as a group). We (as a group) elected individuals of this ilk and will undoubtedly continue to do so in the future.

23. Rob Crawford

So what happens if the software providers simply don't bother to add the back door, and say we don't really care about the Australian market anyway.

1. Tom 35

They just ask "are you Australian?" like porn sites that ask if you are 18.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Let's say stupidity prevails and Apple, Google and Microsoft build Australian spy support into their operating system software. What stops me from refusing to update from a pre-spying software version?

The "bad guys" will stick with today's versions of iOS, Android and Windows. Maybe in five years that could get to be a problem, but they might outlast the current government until someone else comes along who maybe has more sense. Or will they try to make non-conforming stuff illegal after a time, so any Android phone not capable of being updated becomes illegal?

I hope Apple, Google and Microsoft tell the Aussie government to stuff it. See how long the current leadership lasts after telling the public that they can no longer buy an iPhone, Android or Windows PC.

24. theOtherJT Silver badge

I promised I'd keep doing this...

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----

Version: GnuPG v2.0.22 (GNU/Linux)

jA0EAwMC8wwTaVPYrpLWyZrN/k2M1YFSO/yCipIAsvGE43YEp/XghbWbU2aO4IVH

euONp13SX9dVjmM4xn3iH4Jlp+eh86oW7+v2ODlX8oEmSp3GVAwRyS7idFUuxYwG

VDN244IQszDELTcsGDyvye0rgNAUQ+zrl8Vz+naViopb+2hE5W/3SaZ9zdO68EDr

wEIRrarFsxRJM32RtWIqQk5j4xKe1QbPUdGi

=xBWy

-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

And lo, I'm still doing it. I'm still going to be able to do it once this law takes effect.

1. FooCrypt

Re: I promised I'd keep doing this...

Your PGP message has 1 layer of asynchronous encryption, my message above has 50 layers of symmetric encryption, with each layer having a password length of 512 random characters.

Which one do you think they will brute force first ?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Maybe it is intended to be forced, thus they get the message..

"Keep your nose out of my business you wankers!" perhaps?

1. FooCrypt

I found it easier to provide a quote from one of Rodney Rude's live performances in my first submission to the PJCIS. https://pjcis.foocrypt.net/ but unfortunately, they decided only to accept it as correspondence, and not publish it.

Just re arrange the first three characters of the 9425 in my message above..;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They can make use of GNU PGP illegal, and put you in jail, I suppose. The UK will jail people for refusing to tell them their password, so anything is possible.

1. StargateSg7

I'm TELLING the autralian govrnment RIGHT NOW ....TO PISS OFF !!!

Gooo EFF THEMSELVES !!!

Arrest them, put them on trial, convict them and put these mofos IN JAIL FOR TREASON against the people of Australia !!!!! RISE UP AUSTRALIANS It's time to wake the hell up and TAKE BACK CONTROL

OF YOUR OWN COUNTRY !!!!!!!

3. Agamemnon

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----

hQEMAxGl3ti0GufqAQf9F8aMf14xitq7NOraq+6h4EC3q3arHt7VPbcjyjbSDlDY

F8tmCH0JIPUSQGBlzW0WFzgQYYn5dDJgUpM7DEOapbA/ZCkB7YBg3zDG0yjm6zOz

TdrXoL5OYCv0qF+LJL6s3yBFqMnwzZkvdFf0YsiUw1TAnWRrjg/IEZ2ZcEbnDOOq

qvlR8lWZW41hV9wtN82v1VS/G28VHGje321g2FRNXeQL59aXwEJeQ1gdF30KzI9T

A4IJ7pjN97V23qedVjnS6afmUFx+1f7GDGT5lFhrUJ6Lzn6lV8DjmkX51+u5MDIk

tPWy7n5SWY6jevolcCDlLWCLsvO+igLaVEBamMZewdJTAV7v51Nf1boUAtZuY1NW

3zNNGZdOJjVXw9wlsW1fZwf15K1pfJwYG17Mp+MgEk8raMiIt6PJNrzMti1bkKXs

7xb0+DGeiNZifKnPBwH//H4PqPM=

=hDYl

-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WhatsApp snooping

So how do they intercept a Australian WhatsApp user talking to a non-Austrailan WhatsApp user without ripping up the signal protocol? They could modify the app at one end to not notify the user that a BCC key was created, but the other end would notice.

Or if you are using some other end-to-end encrypted chat app - does the publisher have to force all their users to update their app within 28 days with some new shiny feature ( and stealthily embed a backdoor? )

The end results is that encryption is basically incompatible with this legislation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WhatsApp snooping

They will leave that up to Facebook to figure out, but it seems you could modify the software to ALWAYS produce a BCC key, so you wouldn't be able to tell when they are listening and when they aren't.

That will come in handy for when they demand a copy of all communications be sent to them to storage and later search, as that is the obvious next step for Australia's new totalitarian government.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: WhatsApp snooping

They will leave that up to Facebook to figure out, but it seems you could modify the software to ALWAYS produce a BCC key, so you wouldn't be able to tell when they are listening and when they aren't.

The sender and recipient are both running an app that has the messages in plaintext. There's nothing to stop Facebook from modifying that app to relay the plaintext to the SIGINT service of choice. No need to tamper with the Signal protocol itself, or how the app uses it, if you're only required to subvert that one particular app that uses Signal. And, AFAIK, that's what the law1 requires.

Vendors who comply with this law will do it by putting backdoors in applications. Some knowledgeable users will build their own applications, or get untainted ones from safe sources. The spooks are assuming that the vast majority of users won't, and they're very likely right about that.

1Which I like to refer to as Australia Rejects Secure Encryption.

26. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Ausfailia

There goes the Cloud Business, then?

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Half a World away

The Home Office casts an admiring look at Australia and tells itself 'That's how it should be done.'

Bad luck Oz, you're back in the running for the worst Western democratic leadership again after Theresa May came back so strongly.

1. trenchfoot

Re: Half a World away

right on the first point, but I fear probably wrong on the second. It's just going to inspire the stupid mare to push it through here too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Half a World away

Hey, we have a president who may be guilty of treason, I think we are still in the lead for worst western democratic leadership! But you've made great strides with this new law, you may pass us yet!

2. Someone Else Silver badge

@Mike Richards -- Re: Half a World away

Teresa May?!? Pffft. TMay is a right piker compared to Agent Orange!

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mandate rot13

Gung jvyy grnpu gurz

29. David Kelly 2

USB Socket In Your Skull

Australians, schedule your appointment now to have a USB socket inserted in your skull because your government considers it inconvenient they can't read your mind.

30. Tom 35

So just like...

Web sites that ask you if you are over 18 and just trust your answer...

Will we now have sites that ask "Australian yes/no" No? Cool, have some secure email.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Haxorz are dancing in the street

Back door for one is a back door for all, he's just to dumb to understand it.

"sacrifice the safety of Australians" should be the name of the law.

32. Drew Scriver

Trust us...

Rest assured, the authorities will never abuse this new right. They have earned our trust. Good thing Aussie authorities aren't like their US, French, or Dutch counterparts.

-------------------------------------

"Chicago cops took bribes to share crash report details with attorney."

"Two Chicago Police officers charged with stealing cash and drugs."

"Galveston police officer arrested on felony organized criminal activity charges."

"Wilmington Police officer has been caught on the wrong side of the law."

"A police officer has been given a final written warning after she admitted accessing and sharing information about a case she was not involved in."

"What do a police chief, a reverend, and a lawyer all have in common? They’ve all been caught in recent years improperly accessing or sharing information from Massachusetts’ restricted database of criminal records."

"The Henry A. Wallace Police Crime Database includes 8,006 arrest incidents resulting in 13,623 charges involving 6,596 police officers from 2005 through 2012, with more years of data to come. Nearly half these incidents, Stinson and his research team concluded, were violent."

1. FooCrypt

Re: Trust us...

If you haven't heard, VicPol were one of the agencies who pushed hard for the encryption bill to be passed. Am sure the Australian citizens residing or travelling to Victoria, are going to 'TRUST' their ethics and not abuse the new powers ! <- NOT

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-06/graham-ashton-on-lawyer-x-informer-3838/10588236

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Come on El Reg, we've already had one article on Artificial Intelligence without brains today!

34. This post has been deleted by its author

35. chuckm
    Go

Death spiral

This is pretty much the final act of a doomed government trying to play the National Security card against our very mildly leftish (but only Saturdays if the wind is from the Nor'Nor'East) opposition.

The puzzling thing about it, and what makes it completely pointless in my opinion, is that the technology and legislation for lawful interception is already in place (I know this to be true because I worked on it tangentially) as you would expect, and has been for quite a while.

So what this bloody thing is all about is domestic politics, not security, terrorism, or anything else of any significance whatever. And would this government chuck the Oz tech exporters under the bus for a few votes? You bet! You won't find a bigger bunch of anti-science, benighted twats anywhere except in the US, from whose Tea Party types they have cribbed their entire playbook.

To paraphrase the late, great Douglas Adams, 'Security is an illusion, National Security doubly so'.

36. Blofeld's Cat
    Childcatcher

Hmm ...

So, no more secret communications then ...

"Child's bicycle for sale, $100."

"Grandma's parcel will be delivered on Tuesday."

"The unicorns are now grazing in Canberra, but they won't drink there."

37. Scroticus Canis
    Facepalm

So the last season of Rake was an Oz Parliament documentary?

Why don't they just ask Huawei for the info?

38. Chris Reynolds

Fair Dinkum is alive and kicking

I've been in Australia for about 12 years now and I hear Fair Dinkum said fairly frequently. I'd say that its use increases with age and distance from a major metropolitan centre so somebody under 40 who lives in Sydney or Melbourne might never hear it.

But having said that, Scotty "doesn't know" Morrison has over-used it so much that it might make regular users of the phrase cringe a little and reduce their usage.

39. Hans 1
    Happy

Idiotocracy

I think "dumb cunts!" is applicable, here.

Interesting times ahead, I need more popcorn ... Trump, Brexit, and #YellowVests protests in the country claiming to be the "origin of freedom" have taken their toll on my reserves ...

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Atlassian

All joking aside, as a user of most of the (Australian) Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence, bitbucket etc) do I need to be looking at alternatives?

How serious is the threat?

1. FooCrypt

Re: Atlassian

If they get asked to assist or ordered to put in a back door, its up to their corporate ethics. Either they comply or fight it.

As a user, the only thing you can do to mitigate an issue, is freeze your development environment, or move it onto some virtualization infrastructure that is protected.

FooCrypt has several distribution models, one being an ISO, which is impossible to backdoor..!

The common flaws in ALL encryption technologies to date are :

1. Typing on a KeyBoard to enter the password

2. Clicking on the Mouse / Pointer device that controls the location of the cursor

3. Some person or device looking / recording your screen as you type the password

4. The human developing a password that is easily guess, or can be brute forced due to its length

5. Sharing the password with a third party to decrypt the data

6. Storing the encrypted data in a secure location so no unauthorised access can be made to either the key(s) to decrypt the data or the encrypted data itself

7. The Right Wing Policies of the Liberal Party of Australia, being forced into law so they can all make it to the xmas party…!

FooCrypt, A Tale Of Cynical Cyclical Encryption, takes away the above ‘BAD GUYS’ by providing you with software engineered to alleviate all the above.

41. Aodhhan

What's next.

For safety's sake... we will now torture you, to ensure we find all narcotics and any chemical which can be used to make explosives.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

42. FooCrypt

re : What's next. ???

anyone found with items that can be used to separate H2O into separate atoms

@ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water

"Water is a transparent, tasteless, odorless, and nearly colorless chemical substance, which is the main constituent of Earth's streams, lakes, and oceans, and the fluids of most living organisms. It is vital for all known forms of life, even though it provides no calories or organic nutrients. Its chemical formula is H2O, meaning that each of its molecules contains one oxygen and two hydrogen atoms connected by covalent bonds. Water is the name of the liquid state of H2O at standard ambient temperature and pressure. It forms precipitation in the form of rain and aerosols in the form of fog. Clouds are formed from suspended droplets of water and ice, its solid state. When finely divided, crystalline ice may precipitate in the form of snow. The gaseous state of water is steam or water vapor. Water moves continually through the water cycle of evaporation, transpiration (evapotranspiration), condensation, precipitation, and runoff, usually reaching the sea. "

Hydrogen and Oxygen atoms, extracted via your common kitchen kettle, can be collected, stored and utilized as combustion sources in any explosive device...just add the spark from the brains of the combined LNP government combined intelligence to ignite it !!!

https://www.instructables.com/id/Separate-Hydrogen-and-Oxygen-from-Water-Through-El/

43. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

The threats are myriad

"Yes, encryption enables us all to live safer online lives. But its ubiquity brings anonymity to bugbears, hobgoblins, and bogey-men gangs, who live under our beds and in our closets."

Thought I'd fix that for J. Fleming, or Ol' Phlegm-head, as his friends call him. (Or so I've heard.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like