back to article Wintel dust up: Intel supply woes vs Win10 demand

The PC industry is trapped in a battle between the immovable objects that are Intel shortages and crap consumer demand, versus the unstoppable force of enterprises upgrading to Windows 10. Analyst house IDC has forecast shipments to Western European channels - distributors and retailers - to shrink 3.3 per cent this year to 76 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1.762 million bought an all in one desktop, mugs.

1. karlkarl Silver badge

Unfortunately in various ways it was probably on the tax payers expense.

We are mugs.

2. BGatez

Move toward least serviceable, most disposable

Not so great

3. JohnFen

Disincentive

Personally speaking, Windows being preinstalled on a machine is a substantial disincentive to buy that machine. But I'm a person, not an enterprise, so that is of limited interest to Wintel.

4. cornetman Silver badge

Looks like AMD is ready to step up, at least in the data centre.

Some interesting predictions/rumours about what they will likely present at CES next year has got a lot of people talking and probably Intel extremely nervous.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge

Win 10?

Why do I need a new PC? My current one can delete all my documents pretty quickly.

6. bombastic bob Silver badge
    WTF?

Windows 10 continues to be a lure for PC buyers in the wider enterprise space(?)

see icon

Since *WHEN* has Windows 10 been a LURE for PC buyers???

And THIS is why the PC market has slumped. It is NOT because people don't want new ones.

IT! IS! BECAUSE! THE! NEW! ONES! COME! PRE-ENCUMBERED! WITH! WIN-10-NIC!!!

1. RyokuMas
      Facepalm

Re: Windows 10 continues to be a lure for PC buyers in the wider enterprise space(?)

Um, I'm pretty sure it's because of the rise in mobile tech rather than anything to do with what version of Windows (or OS in general) a PC is running...

2. Japhy Ryder

Re: Windows 10 continues to be a lure for PC buyers in the wider enterprise space(?)

All the answers to your questions are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like