back to article Consumer group attempts to lob Safari workaround sueball at Google... again

Brit consumer rights advocates have appealed against the High Court's decision to block a multibillion-pound lawsuit aimed at Google over iPhone tracking. The group, which calls itself "Google You Owe Us", is led by former Which? exec director Richard Lloyd and backed by a litigation funding biz Therium. It is aiming to make …

1. Gordon 10

Who had the loss?

And who will get the payout?

The fact that such as thing as a "Litigation funding business" is involved (or even frikkin exists) makes me very suspicious that the ordinary consumer is going to get SFA out of this.

It reminds me of the case in the US (I forget the details) where the consumers were ruled to have been damaged but because it amounted to peanuts per person it was suggested (by the lawyers!) that the lawyers colleges and law schools should get the the payola.

We need a "Danger Will Robinson!" icon for this stuff that looks good at first glance.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rights, what rights.

And the exact reason I didn't join the DieselGate action against VW.

The only people who ever seem to be on the receiving end if litigation wins in this country are the lawyers. The very fact one has to go through the hoops outlined above is enough to demonstrate where the balance lies with the consumer losing out yet again.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Rights, what rights.

The alternative is doing sweet fuck all. How does that benefit the consumers?

2. iron Silver badge

Re: Who had the loss?

So just ignore the wrong things that Google are doing and let them destroy the last vestiges of a free society because to do otherwise would benefit lawyers? Interesting priorities you've got there wee man.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
        Trollface

It's Google destroying the last vestiges of a free society? I thought the government could be trusted to do that without supervision. Guess the govt. screwed that up as well then.

2. Steve Knox

From the article:

"The workaround was killed off after three Brits sued Google for breaching their privacy rights."

Individual suits already solved the root cause; class action suits which only line lawyers' pockets are superfluous.

3. martinusher Silver badge

>So just ignore the wrong things that Google are doing...

The unfortunate fact of life is that the mere fact you're using a phone pretty much nails where you are. Its unfortunate but that's the price of 'progress'. It seems that the models for things like radios and phones that we grew up with are very persistent, many people just don't seem to understand how modern wireless communications work so their expectations of how those devices should behave are unrealistic.

In the US all phones have to track their location because it facilitates the handling of emergency calls (that's why they all have GPS in them these days). The same principles that drive GPS can be used to determine accurately where a phone is even if the software doing the questioning is prohibited from just asking the phone directly. There is only one remedy for this -- turn the thing off (and I mean "power it down", don't just blank the screen).

....and nobody's forcing you to use Google's products. There are alternatives. They might not be as good or as convenient but then we managed to live quite well in an era of phone books, pay phones and card indexes. You can as well; you just can't have it both ways.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

another daily dose

of Google clearly doing Evil and getting away with it...

Google is at the top of my 'Do not use unless absolutely needed' list.

Facebook is next.

1. ratfox

Re: another daily dose

I get the "unless absolutely needed" for Google; they are dominant in a lot of things, and where alternatives exist, they often come with issues of their own.

But Facebook? Why would you absolutely need to use Facebook?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

You never do absolutely have to use FaceBook, so you never use it.

Simples.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like