back to article Google: Psst, hey kid, want a new eSIM? Our Fi has one right here

Last week Google took its virtual global MVNO, formerly known as Project Fi, out of beta and began supporting the service on third-party handsets, even Apple's iPhone. It's now called Google Fi. This week it announced pre-packaged deals for eSIM provisioning for its own pricey Pixel phones with EE, Deutsche Telekom and …

1. F. Svenson

It's not 10c/GB, it's $10/GB, just as it is in the US.

Plus, they bill by the fraction, ir you use 500MB roaming, and 500MB at home, you get the same bill for $10.

Finally, you can use hangouts dialler to make calls via IP and pay no per-min roaming for voice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think those are the full costs

It's Google, so I reckon part of what you pay with is access to your call records, device usage and location..

2. Locky
    Coat

How did they come up with the project name?

Why Fi?

1. Jeffrey Nonken

Re: How did they come up with the project name?

Short for WiFi and pronounced with a long "i". Because it can seamlessly switch between WiFi and multiple carriers depending on what's available, or something.

I bet you could find out with a Google search!

3. Insane Reindeer
    Megaphone

How is still legal to sell them together?

"The two moves are orthogonal; all they have in common so far is they both seek to uncouple the hardware from a service contract. But then so does the basic concept of a SIM card designed into GSM."

In Finland, the land of racist twats and forests too clean to burn, it is illegal to bundle a phone that has "3G capabilities" with a SIM card contract. Yes the MNO will sell you a phone on a monthly payment plan, if your credit rating is good enough. But they can't offer any sort of discounts or bundles with a SIM card from them. For example, for several years I was getting my phone on a monthly plan from Sonera and the SIM card from DNA. I have always found that this is a wonderful way of doing it. Not only does it promote the continued long use of a phone that has no reason to be traded in (once you have paid for it all it is yours and the bills stop of course!) it also ensures that the MNOs actually compete on things like coverage and performance. But then I guess this isn't worth doing in countries with ten times the population. Let alone a hundred times the population, or more. Too much like hard work I assume. And no doubt many people will explain that being competitive and offering great service is bad for business, and, not something most customers care about anyway.

4. drtune

I have the US service

It works really well, given the constraints of hopping between Sprint and TMobile (not the leading carriers for coverage). It's very cheap and 'reasonable' deal by comparison with incumbents; plus 'free' international roaming is really a terrific deal. We pay $55 for two phones, very happy. Plus, Google phones actually get regular (and long-term) OS updates unlike yer average carrier Android device. Like.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: I have the US service

Me too - and the great feature is that when I visit the UK - which I do every year, my phone number doesn't change, service is still good, and when I get home my bill from Google is usually about $40 for the month abroad - that's about $10 more than I normally pay! And no extra charge for using it as a hotspot when I need it.

5. JohnFen

Overpriced?

"Current rates are 20¢/minute"

That's seriously steep! My normal cell carrier is far cheaper than that for international roaming. Even if it weren't, though, wouldn't it be cheaper to get a cheap prepaid phone in the area you would be? I'm not seeing the roaming advantage here...

1. Crypto Monad Silver badge

Re: Overpriced?

"Pixels can be provisioned by Deutsche Telekom in Germany, EE in the UK"

So: one provider in each big marketplace.

Wake me up when there is a drop-down menu that lets me choose plans between multiple providers. Until then, the hassle of obtaining and plugging in another SIM is still going to work out far cheaper.

6. Andre Carneiro

I just can't trust them

Unfortunately, Google have now become "that sinister company" in my mind and as far as I'm concerned their brand is so toxic that I won't touch any of their services with a bargepole.

I am well aware that I am in the minority but I can only wonder just how much more personal data they can harvest from that particular service...

1. JohnFen

Re: I just can't trust them

"I am well aware that I am in the minority"

You may be in the minority, but you aren't alone. And that minority appears to be growing on a daily basis.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like