back to article Giraffe hacks printers worldwide to promote God-awful YouTuber. Did we read that one right?

Did your work printer produce a strange call to action this week, urging you to follow a tasteless twerp on YouTube, and then offer you a "bro fist" made up of punctuation marks? Hopefully not because if it did someone in your IT department has really screwed up and failed to patch a two-year-old security hole. But thousands …

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge
    Alert

Get me a babysitter

This is what happens when parents treat the iPad and Youtube as babysitters, you get people like PewDiePie. Kids have no idea this guy is a moron, albeit now a very wealthy one, but still they click on his stupid goofy curated Youtube thumbnails. It just goes to show that Idiocracy is happening, it is happening right now and it is happening right in front of our eyes

1. Iron Bones

Re: Get me a babysitter

Your narrow minded view point is probably closer to idiocracy than a YouTuber who, for the most part, reviews memes.

Though unfortuantely prone to making jokes that are not well recieved Felix is a pretty normal guy. Down to earth, fairly intelligent and successful. Its probably the last part that aggrovates so many people. Success attracts salty tears and false truths like flies to shit. This article for example has so much false information it becomes a joke in itself.

Its not your fault really, with articles like this even an intellectual such as yourself doesnt know what is fact and what is fiction. Perhpas your babysitter can get the facts for you. Idiocracy indeed

1. Sonny Jim

I love it when someone says 'FAKE' without specifying what parts were incorrect.

> This article for example has so much false information

Could you specify which parts of the article contains false information?

1. Iron Bones

I agree with you. Calling fake and not providing proof is basically a mirror to the article.

I dont feel the need to quote the entire article and most likely my post will get "moderated" Circle Jerk communities like this don't take kindly to alternative points of view.

This is not the first article written with this tone here either so im assuming this is probably just a corner of the Internet that has a particular rhetoric. And im ok with that too. On reflection this is just an opinion piece. Sure a rant but just a narrow minded opinion.

I will however point out that linking Felix to antisemitism is a false narrative, easy enough to fact check Joe Rogan did a stream on it some time back if you would like to educate yourself. Furthermore the drive to "stop Tseries" is all one big joke. Perhaps not understandung that is the problem.

1. Sonny Jim

> I dont feel the need to quote the entire article

It seems you didn't feel to point out anything that was factually incorrect, apart from 'He's not antisemetic!' which isn't the point the article was making.

> Furthermore the drive to "stop Tseries" is all one big joke.

So if I say something like 'I hate purple monkey wheels', only to turn round and say 'It's just a joke!', does that mean the Purple Monkey Wheel community is not allowed to be outraged? May I remind you that for something to be considered a joke, it has to be funny in the first place?

EDIT: Also of note, click on the usernames of people defending Pewdy in the comments and be absolutely shocked that they've never actually commented on anything on this site before, apart from this article. Brigade much?

https://forums.theregister.co.uk/user/91290/

https://forums.theregister.co.uk/user/91302/

https://forums.theregister.co.uk/user/91289/

EDIT2: Ah it becomes clear, this article was linked on the Pewdy subreddit so in comes his army of morons to defend his actions.

1. SmallWhiteGirl

When all you can do is insult peoples intelligence.

You like something I find stupid, you're a moron brother. I didn't come from reddit and so what If that was my first post? congrats that you posted more than me, Must mean you know more. That's a really genius way of thinking.

"He talks rapid fire at the camera while playing computer games" - lmao what pewdiepie are we talking about? He barely plays games anymore.

"generally being obnoxious about everything in the world" - If his character is obnoxious then jesus, You must have been raised in an amish society and the exaggeration is beautiful.

"Uncomfortable anti-semitic videos" - When his whole fan base know it's a joke but some old guys from a journal known for talking nonsense on people say he's racist, you're right. He's definitely anti-semitic. It's like how Article 13 wasn't decided by the generation that uses the internet. Old people messing with young peoples lives.

"pretending to be horrified" - The reason he found it funny was because he didn't expect it to happen the way it did. Yes he paid for it and You could say his reaction was faked but he did address it afterwards, It was a joke that was terribly done and even I know that but you people act like he is actually hitler after doing it.

"the rest of the world wasn't very impressed" ok? who? I mean, I saw a lot of people upset but the majority didn't care. I think this article is just full of exaggeration to please the "whole world"

The whole T-series thing is bigger than just a man wanting to be number one, It's also about what that represents, Unlike you guys. US morons don't want everything we watch to be from companies that we can't relate to, We don't want to watch what tv already offers. The moment the biggest spot is taken over by a company, it shows a shift on the platform>

"In vulture's opinion, absolute garbage" - Lol, the song was apart of the ongoing meme and honestly wasn't that bad. A man still can't have fun when he's famous SMH

"idiots hack your printers to urge you to follow other idiots online" - Yes because someone who did this is an idiot, clearly, which is why it worked so well. Stupid people accidentally getting things right and the claim that Felix is at all an idiot just proves you guys are mad. Not once in this article did it say anything with proof other than another journalist being upset.

Look, A moron just went piece by piece and explained his views but will definitely get told he's stupid again because that's all they have.

YOU'RE STUPID FOR NOT BEING OF THE SAME MIND AS ME!

1. veti Silver badge

@Small White Girl: I invite you to read this article. It's a very old article, some of the terminology is going to look very old-fashioned, but the principles are still valid. I think it might still help you understand what both YouTube and El Reg do.

1. jake Silver badge

This article is a trifle older, but still relevant.

2. Iron Bones

"It seems you didn't feel to point out anything that was factually incorrect, apart from 'He's not antisemitic!' which isn't the point the article was making."

So why include it in the article if not to demonize someone? Do you know what a straw man argument is?

In any case you are right i cant point out factually incorrect information as nothing was really provided in terms of "fact" apart from the antisemitism which has already been disproved. All i would ask is does Kieren want some cheese with that whine?

"So if I say something like 'I hate purple monkey wheels', only to turn round and say 'It's just a joke!', does that mean the Purple Monkey Wheel community is not allowed to be outraged? May I remind you that for something to be considered a joke, it has to be funny in the first place?"

I understand the point you are trying to make but you are missing context. Everyone and anyone can and generally does take offense, isn't that part of some of the problems we face today? A deeper subject perhaps... But i think you misunderstand the concept of a joke. A joke does not have to be tailored to you, in fact many things you find really funny the person right next to you might not. Does that mean your perception of humor is invalid? No. Does that mean the person next to you is an idiot? No. Humor is simply personal preference. Can you accept that something is humorous without being entertained by it yourself? Sure. Do you have to be outraged by it? Sure if that makes you happy go ahead.

"EDIT: Also of note, click on the usernames of people defending Pewdy in the comments and be absolutely shocked that they've never actually commented on anything on this site before, apart from this article. Brigade much?

EDIT2: Ah it becomes clear, this article was linked on the Pewdy subreddit so in comes his army of morons to defend his actions."

No i did not find this article in any subreddit. I've seen articles with this same rhetoric, i just felt like replying for a change. Perhaps i could change a few minds. I was bored enough to create an account and post a comment. I did not realize creating an account was frowned upon here. Dont stress too much i will leave you special snowflakes to your grumblings.

This is not the first article posted here with this tone in relation to Felix. I certainly dont think he is a saint nor do i agree with everything he has done. The article just has a incredibly one sided narrative that i dont agree with. I dont think the people here are open minded enough to accept an alternate perspective. Thats ok, some "communities" just want to whine. Im fine with that.

3. HiImBlank

Ok. :(. What About Me?

2. Monty Cantsin

Iron Bones: "Perhaps not understandung that is the problem."

Understandung

Noun

1. The ability to understand something crap; Comprehenshit.

1. Iron Bones

"Understandung

Noun

1. The ability to understand something crap; Comprehenshit."

Haha understandung, loved the definition.

I do apologize for making spelling errors, i understand the gag reflect to react to them but i would ask you to ignore them, instead focus on what i am saying. Its fine if you wish to ignore the points i make, perhaps you cannot understand them or its too difficult to say "Hey you are right" i completely get that. Accepting an alternate point of view can be a bitter pill to swallow.

Talking about bitter pills, heres one for you all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8L-LjWHpjw

Watch it (5minutes out of your life) afterwards, im serving some humble pie if this forum chooses to take a plate? You might not enjoy eating humble pie, but this looks like a good time to start.

3. LucreLout

Circle Jerk communities like this don't take kindly to alternative points of view.

This is true, they don't. However, in defence of this specific "circle jerk" community, it's made up of generally successful people within the IT community, and given that all credible reports of the mean IQ of software industry types, its safe to assume the jerks in this circle are a shade smarter than average.

Given that you tube mostly plays to the cheap seats and ALL of its most popular videos and channels are aimed squarely at the back half of the bell curve, you might find it instructional to consider that these aforementioned jerks, are likely smarter than Felix.... just not as well known or rich. And certainly smarter, and richer than the great majority of his followers.

So, the real question is why someone would set up a brand new account here to rail against one specific article, fairly maligning one specific you tuber known for idiocy and decidedly low brow "entertainment"? I've avoided the word juvenille thus far, but I'm struggling to be honest.

I do give you credit, for attracting the most downvotes in the history of this particular "circle jerk", that I can recall seeing. Believe me, it's quite an achievment.

1. Iron Bones

It was Inflammative, calling this a "Circle Jerk" community. I apologize for that.

"This is true, they don't. However, in defence of this specific "circle jerk" community, it's made up of generally successful people within the IT community, and given that all credible reports of the mean IQ of software industry types, its safe to assume the jerks in this circle are a shade smarter than average."

Being successful or higher than average IQ shouldn't mean your opinion is absolute, only the Sith deal in absolutes right? My point being, this article in particular cannot be a reflection of the unending depths of this forums IQ. As the article is simply wrong but you support it as if you wrote it yourself. I understand the person who wrote it can have whatever opinion they want. I do find it a little funny however, the bandwagon that the "above average intelligence" members here have jumped on. Love those upvotes am i right? :)

"Given that you tube mostly plays to the cheap seats and ALL of its most popular videos and channels are aimed squarely at the back half of the bell curve, you might find it instructional to consider that these aforementioned jerks, are likely smarter than Felix.... just not as well known or rich. And certainly smarter, and richer than the great majority of his followers."

I dont agree with that, there is content on YT goes far beyond entertainment, there is a lot of knowledge on many subjects. And im not referring to Felix in this case but overall there is plenty of information on it. I dont think its fair to mock the entire platform because of a misconception. Though on the other hand there is plenty of garbage there too. I do agree with you many people are smarter than Felix, members here have proven time and time again by, correcting my grammar, that they are indeed of a higher caliber and undoubtedly far superior IQ, its a crazy thought that there might just be people out there smarter than even members of this forum. In reference to Felix specifically i think you might be surprised to find he is a down to earth and intelligent person. You would expect him to pander to a bunch of kids right? Maybe burn a car down or create some ridiculous dance? How about when he reviewed Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche? Im not saying as a result of that he is the smartest person on Earth, im just saying this article understanding of his content (specifically in recent years) conveniently brushes over the good stuff to highlight the bad. But, but... my opinion only makes sense if i ignore the good stuff. Oh alright then.

"So, the real question is why someone would set up a brand new account here to rail against one specific article, fairly maligning one specific you tuber known for idiocy and decidedly low brow "entertainment"? I've avoided the word juvenille thus far, but I'm struggling to be honest."

I am not responding here for "internet points" or rewards elsewhere, one of these very intellectual members here became a PI to try track me down to some random Reddit user. Had a good chuckle there. The truth is: I simply felt the article was so badly wrong and i disagreed enough to create an account and voice an alternate opinion. Yes i can agree with a certain amount of criticism however i simply felt the criticism was actually just a whiny one sided rant. With the sole purpose of invoking a reaction, perhaps simply click bait? You say "fairly", i see "one sided" and ultimately a lack of knowledge on this specific youtuber and his motives. Perhaps vindicated by his most recent video i do suggest you watch it and make a better judgement for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8L-LjWHpjw

"I do give you credit, for attracting the most downvotes in the history of this particular "circle jerk", that I can recall seeing. Believe me, it's quite an achievment."

Never been one to care too much about downvotes, i find far too often, forums not unlike this one, ONLY care about the upvotes their post gets. People are so afraid of getting downvotes they will prefer to agree with a popular truth (hence the circle jerk mentality). Isn't that kind of sad? You can downvote this one too if it makes you feel better?

(Notice how i did not attempt to correct your grammar, not even once - wild!)

2. c_matthews92

Well for one he isn't racist, the context of his "tasteless jokes" isn't given, they simply regurgitate details from the numerous hit-pieces the media have hit him with. They ignore any good aspects of him and the entire article is slanted negatively in order to bait for clicks which they clearly succeeded in doing.Then they missed out loads more context to the point where I'd have to write an entire article on this article in order to rebut all of its falsehoods. A simple look at his content would be enough to break this pathetic perspective the writer forces the reader to view Felix through but in this digital age of forced negativity and hit pieces for clicks it's the bare minimum they have to do and the mainstream audience is none the wiser and unwilling to investigate for themselves.

3. JamesE535353

When the article mentions PewDiePie's anti-semitic controversy, it is written as "He thought it was hilarious, and pretended to be horrified even though it was him who planned it...so he could act shocked". In reality these videos were created to point out the absurd lengths people on these websites would go to for such little money. By actually watching the videos one could have found this out. Instead, this article seems to just be slander aimed at a successful independent creator. Overall it lowers the credibility of this site.

2. beast666

Die Iron Bone connecky to the Truth Bone!

3. squigbobble

Hi nenask. Only 5 karma for your whiteknighting, were you hoping for more?

4. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

IB typed "recieved".

Which is incorrect.

5. JohnFen

"Its probably the last part that aggrovates so many people."

Probably not. Despite what wealthy people often believe, people don't tend to be aggravated by how wealthy others are. Fame, however, is an amplifier -- so a badly behaved person who is in the public eye will attract more condemnation than the same behavior done by a "nobody".

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

he got wealthy being a MORON on Youtube, huh?

Well, when THAT dies off, he'll probably be dirt poor 'cause he spent it on stupid things. That'll be cosmic justice, the rags to riches back to rags tale. People like that wouldn't assume "it's a fad" and would burn money at an alarming rate until it's all gone and they're in over their heads.

"Diversify? Investment portfolio? What's THAT?"

meanwhile, the kind of content that Diamond and Silk typically does gets "flagged" and "shadow banned"... go fig.

1. Poppy Harlow

Someone losing their entire livelihood and wealth is “cosmic justice”? Are you jealous or are you just a pretty shit human being? Perhaps both.

Pewdiepie isn’t responsible for starving people and injustice in the world, stop acting like he is. Yes he could donate all his money to help out less fortunate countries, but why don’t you start by doing the same?

He’s done tonnes and tonnes of charity work, but people seem to either forget or not give him the benefit of the doubt when it doesn’t align with their narrative. Funny that.

2. Dumb Millennials

I can clearly tell you don't watch his content and you're probably too old to understand his content. First of all everything you said here is stupid like this article about the incident that happened. Secondly I wanna call you out on that dying out part. He won't die out anytime soon. He's been on the platform for years now and even if he dies out he'll still be making money from sponsorship.

Also he doesn't buy "stupid things" that how I can tell you haven't watched anything from him at all. He saves up his money he Isn't dumb. So I think you should watch his content if you wanna form an actual opinion on him instead of reading this poorly typed out article. Most of the stuff they talked about is outdated and not relevant except the hacking part.

1. veti Silver badge

Gosh, an awful (and I use the word advisedly) lot of new accounts seem to have been created just to post in defence of this one guy.

Trying to think what this reminds me of...

1. Eddy Ito

@veti, I was thinking exactly the same thing. I came up with either someone is really butt hurt or it's an attempt at parody and I haven't quite figured which. At this point it's boring so I'll leave the figuring to pewdeepi or whomever.

2. madcon

> He's been on the platform for years now and even if he dies out he'll still be making money from sponsorship

Once upon a time he was being sponsored by Disney, etc., who all backed out because of his controversial nature. Now he is advertising shady products like g-fuel, which are proven to cause cancer and other ailments.

Calling for annihilation of jews, using racist "N" words, insulting an entire community with a racist song, none of these are considered "normal"

3. phuzz Silver badge

"he got wealthy being a MORON on Youtube, huh? Well, when THAT dies off,"

...he'll probably go into whatever the next thing is, or at least he'll be replaced by someone you (and I) will probably find just as obnoxious, on some platform that we find equally as baffling.

3. Roq D. Kasba

Nathan Barley incarnate.

1. bitwise

Give me Nathan Barley over this any time.

4. Mark 85

I suspect that he's not so much a moron but very shrewd and his screen persona is an act. But still, like other things in entertainment, what's real isn't what's portrayed. Look at some (most) of the rappers. Not dummies, not gangsters but very clever and smart business types who know their market and exploit it. I'm not defending him or them, just observing that the end result is cash in someone's pocket and that "someone" really doesn't care about the morality of what they spew. Much like a few televangelists....

5. c_matthews92

"You get people like PewDiePie" This is the difference between mainstream media fodder like you and people who seek the actual truth of things. If you're looking at anywhere but his channel PewDiePie will seem like a loud, arrogant, "goofy" douchebag, but if you took the time to actually look you'd see that Felix Kjellberg is an intelligent innovator that simply makes money doing what he loves; making skits, reviewing books, reviewing memes and giving his take on events on the platform (then occasionally playing some games).

1. LucreLout

This is the difference between mainstream media fodder like you and people who seek the actual truth of things. If you're looking at anywhere but his channel PewDiePie will seem like a loud, arrogant, "goofy" douchebag, but if you took the time to actually look you'd see that Felix Kjellberg is an intelligent innovator that simply makes money doing what he loves; making skits, reviewing books, reviewing memes and giving his take on events on the platform (then occasionally playing some games).

He may very possibly be intelligent, but only if your definition of intelligent is "Intelligent relative to a very very stupid person". Sorry kiddo, but no matter how many accounts you set up here to troll us, PweDiePie just is not what we'd consider smart, clever, or intelligent.

We seem to have an infestation of the under 12s, or whatever demented and hapless demographic this particular tuber spends his days targetting. Any chance the admins could pause the new account creation until the tantrum blows over? I've no idea what a t-series is, but it's probably time to subscribe to their channel.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@c_matthews92 - Re: Get me a babysitter

he seems because he is. You also forgot to mention he is a fraud.

6. SmallWhiteGirl

Old people who think they know things that they don't SMH.

This is the problem with people of the last few generations and people who think they are old souls. You are so stuck in the past and want to be mad at everything that you dog pile some guy.

Wow, he made a racist joke. Grow up, you all hate this guy because he's done better than you, and for the guy who said he'd have no money in the real world - 1 he made a good clothing brand and 2 He has worked multiple jobs and has worked with big companies on projects showing he has what it takes to work as a team (Not to mention his resume probably looks better than some old guy crying on a post about something he doesn't understand). He's done a lot for people, you forget that when people feel worthless they enjoy his videos to feel happy and he's helped charities. You just don't want someone to do something you deem as wrong. you people are what's wrong with the world. Making big deals out of nothing, at least the kids watching him will learn what a joke is. Most likely you'll all get mad about this too, because that's all you are, Mad old men and women crying at a computer while having a mediocre life. *but I'm happy and I have this great life* yeah, that's why you're crying online *But you're doing the same thing* Yea, but I work a lot and can do what I want, it's what it's like being successful. I welcome your tears and anger.

P.S

Some people play football, some people watch others play football

Some people act, some people watch others act

Some people play games, some people watch others play games.

Sorry that kids have more options and enjoy what they enjoy.

xoxo

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@SmallWhiteGirl - Re: Get me a babysitter

Sorry, lassie, he didn't do anything for me. I don't even know him so why would he bother for me.

7. PDPsupport

The reason children and teens and young adults support PewDiePie is because he is the last good thing on the internet. Yes alot if his videos are made to entertain but he makes a series called "PewNews" where he talks about whats happening in the world of social media. And he is serious and shows respect about what he talks about. When you mention things he did like his nazi joke, it wasnt with racist intent, much like your favorite comdedians who do the same. And after he apologised. He is not a bad person, and the reason we support him is because he is a symbol. He shows us how one man can make his way in the world doing what he loves. So when a company like T-series comes along, we support him, becuase the rise of a company on youtube shows how the platform is not fair on other independant creators.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

he is the last good thing on the internet

brilliant!

only... why do I think this was NOT spoken as the ultimate reg bait, but in all earnest? Oh dear, time to die...

2. LucreLout

The reason children and teens and young adults support PewDiePie is because he is the last good thing on the internet.

LOL!!!

Really? The last good thing? The final one?

Have you perhaps considered that maybe you could use the internet to, I dunno, learn stuff? Head over to coursera and pick up some knowledge from people that actually have some. Maybe you could pop over to github/other and get involved in a hackathon, creating something of value to a worthy charity or two? Or maybe you could hit once of the finance sites and learn about how money actually works, when you have to work for it?

The internet has many good things on it. PDP ain't one of them.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@PDPsupport - Re: Get me a babysitter

We agree on this, there are so much many more good thing on the Internet before PDP which comes last.

8. OrlandoVL

r/whooosh

9. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

<things were better in my days>

2. oiseau
    WTF?

Babysitters are for babies

A babysitter?

Whatever for?

These are 72.6 million absolute assholes, not babies.

And the likes of Facebook, YouTube, etc. created them and make fortunes from having done so.

I tell you, the world's gone to the dogs.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Babysitters are for babies

No, the world has gone to the humans. Dogs, if you observe them with a critical eye, pretty much have a RealLife that life most humans can only dream of.

With that said, anti-social media is a boil on the arse of humanity which needs to be lanced. Probably won't happen in my lifetime, alas ... the sheeple have spoken clicked&drooled.

1. macjules

No, the world has gone to the humans. Dogs, if you observe them with a critical eye, pretty much have a RealLife that life most humans can only dream of.

Well commented that person. In my opinion we need less "social media" (which by the way is almost exactly the opposite of 'social' in its nasty hostility to users and its shameless marketing and abuse of people's data) and far more people-to-people interaction. There are children at my kids' school that seem to have almost no life away from school except on their phones or computers.

1. HiImBlank

But... But... I HaVe LiFe BeSidEs ThE InTerNet AnD My CoMpUeR AnD Phon!

2. FrançoisL

You need to understand that the younger generation is watching les and less tv. Youtubers are the equivalent of tv animators, actors and comedians. Some of them are even successfull by posting educationnal videos. The carreers are just chaning to another platform. So no like people working in the tv industry they are not assholes.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'..Some of them are even successfull by posting educationnal videos..'

Yes, I've seen some of them, 15 minutes of drek with 50 seconds of actual content such that a couple of pages of text and photos would explain the subject of these masterworks in a more precise and succinct manner.

Still, criticising YT and associated denizens is really like pissing in the wind, unfortunately humanity is geared up to accept and process visual imagery at a level below that which requires any thinking, critical or otherwise, to normally be employed.

The best laugh I've gotten out of the whole 'YT thing' recently is the PHB at my previous job bought some 'équipement chinois' based on the YT videos....had he bothered to fire up the grey matter and actually read the comments written by previously 'burned' idiots he'd have realised what glorious pigs in pokes these items were..I say realised, but thinking about that, maybe not, he wasn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Do I use YT? why yes, but as I'm a sad old git I stick to stuff like this and this etc. etc (oh, and cat videos, but that's obligatory, isn't it?)

2. ibmalone

You need to understand that the younger generation is watching les and less tv. Youtubers are the equivalent of tv animators, actors and comedians. Some of them are even successfull by posting educationnal videos. The carreers are just chaning to another platform. So no like people working in the tv industry they are not assholes.

It's adorable that you think that.

1. BoldMan

Looks like the juvenile sock puppets have arrived in force - how many posters in this thread joined in the last 2 days? :)

2. HiImBlank

I Know I’m Adorable.

3. Eddy Ito

So no like people working in the tv industry they are not assholes.

Right, TV folk are just self-important, narcissistic, self promoters and completely unlike these Youtubers you speak of. Oh wait...

On another note, I've concluded we're dealing with a parody of the PDP-11. Clearly lacking the skills of Ocean's 11.

3. Poppy Harlow

And the world is such a better place having people like you in it. Spewing utter hatred on subscribers who watch a man review memes. Fuck me.

1. HiImBlank

TRUTH!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the likes of Facebook, YouTube, etc. created them

nah, they didn't create them, they were always "out there", those media just gave them an outlet to be seen in all their glory. Remember Lem, "I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet". It's not creation, it's a (painful) revelation.

What's more, when people used to by shy about being stupid, now they wear it as a badge of honour, as can be seen in this thread.

5. HiImBlank

So... I Guess I’m An Askhole Now? I Thought For Sure That I Was An Blank. But Ok. Thanks For Helping Me Find My Identity? I Guess?

3. Tromos
    Joke

If they ever find this giraffe guy, I hope they stretch his neck.

1. SVV

Ironically enough, given the huge cost of printer ink cartridges, a long stretch may be exactly what he ends up receiving.

2. macjules
      Coat

I am sure that he will have some tall tales to say in his defence. He has after all stuck his neck out a bit too far.

4. Maelstorm Bronze badge
    Trollface

One must always question the intelligence of the people who watch YouTube.

1. Jonathan Richards 1
      Megaphone

Feed the troll

> question the intelligence ...

Yes, I see the icon. In fact there is plenty of cerebral content on YouTube (see my subs list, passim) but you wouldn't find it by random sampling, I suspect.

FWIW, I signpost you all to Objectivity, Veritassium and Exurb1a, in no particular order.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"One must always question the intelligence of the people who watch YouTube."

I've observed in the past that when I was a teenager I wrote computer games, my older son as a teenager played computer games and my younger son as a teenager watched other people playing computer games on YouTube.

1. jake Silver badge

"when I was a teenager I wrote computer games, my older son as a teenager played computer games and my younger son as a teenager watched other people playing computer games on YouTube."

And going back another generation, as teenagers/early twenties we built hardware so we could run a flight simulator. In 64K of RAM.

3. Teiwaz

No question

One must always question the intelligence of the people who watch YouTube.

No need, the answers right there in the comments of every youtube video.

And the answer scarily enough is slime* to none.

* initially a typo, but it's actually more accurate.

4. Tomato42

go watch PBS Space Time and then you can talk about intelligence of people that watch YouTube

just like with TV, there is "reality TV" garbage and there is Planete and NGC; just like with books, there is 50 Shades of Gray and there is Animal Farm or Foundation

the medium does not define the quality of work in it

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      FAIL

Remember how YouTube started? Farting Hippos wasn't it - not much has changed.

1. Soruk

I thought it was a certain wardrobe malfunction.

5. Chris Miller

Why open port 9100?

Even the cheapest routers don't expose port 9100 by default, so people must have made a decision to do so and have the technical smarts (hardly difficult, but beyond 90% of the population) to implement it. I would have thought (clearly incorrectly) that anyone capable of doing this deliberately would consider the consequences - rather like walking around with a large 'kick me' notice pinned to your back.

It goes to show that, no matter how dumb the security vulnerability, you can always find thousands of examples with a simple Internet search.

1. Jonathan Richards 1
      Joke

Re: Why open port 9100?

All will be explained in easily-digested moving pictures :)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22port+9100%22

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Boffin

IPv6 might have it open... just sayin'

1. Dwarf

@bob seems to be confused by the purpose of a firewall.

Nothing to do with IPv6.

1. Twanky

'Nothing to do with IPv6.'

Erm... yes it could be. IPv6 can make devices reachable when they were not on IPv4.

1. Dwarf

No, firewalls do the same function on ipv4 and ipv6. If you have an insecure network design then that has nothing to do with the protocol version.

If you are implying some security benefit of say NAT to protect things, then refer to all the public guidance that NAT is not a security technology. It never has been and it never will be.

3. Glen 1

UPnP enabled by default would do it.

4. simonnj

Unless if the router has UPNP turned on and the printer has opened it up.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Trollslayer
    Facepalm

Not a surprise

I test embedded products and last year was doing NTP testing with Wireshark looking for DHCP renewal packets.

I noticed some leap second packets from unknown devices and on a whim opened the addresses in a browser - it was some quite pricey HP laser printers/scanners whose web interface didn't have a default password.

7. TheProf
    Happy

Absolute Garbage

"It is, in this hack's opinion, absolute garbage. And it's been watched 41 million times so far."

Well thank goodness you didn't provide a link to it. You know how curious people are.

1. Poppy Harlow

Re: Absolute Garbage

Ah you see, that might expose people the things outside the microcosm of the article that the publisher wants you to believe. Can’t be having that.

2. beast666

Yes, the video turns out to be absolute genius to boot!

3. squigbobble
      Coat

I've watched it and it's very slightly better than the crap Team10 (Logan and/or Jake Paul) used to put out, with the significant difference that it's recycling an old meme instead of inadvertently creating one. The whole thing's deliberately low effort... well, I hope it was deliberate.

8. arctic_haze

Two thoughts

First, I do have a printer at work which can be used (and abused) from anywhere on the globe. I know that because I printed a document being in a different city, No password was needed.

Second, even if people are as careless as my admins, the guy could be criminally prosecuted in the USA and possibly in other countries.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: Two thoughts

Were you on your work VPN at the time? Then you can usually print to any printer onthe network, wherever you are. In my workplace this tends to mostly happen when someone visits another office and forgets to change the default printer. However, you should still need a password to access the VPN.

9. FrançoisL

Calm down

Why insult Pewdiepie so much. He is a source of entertainment like anyother. It's just for a younger audience like teenagers. Beside all of that, he had nothing to do with rhe hacking so why be so mad?

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Calm down

Aww mate, mate. Mate, why you have to have a go at pewdiepie for? Mate? aww, mate. Mate! Mate, why you have to have a go at pewdiepie for? Mate? Aww, mate!

1. upsidedowncreature

He's not even a real pie.

2. HiImBlank

I Know, Sabroni. Glad You Agree That Pewdiepie Shouldn’t Recieving The Hate Because Of An Hacker. Mate.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

tl;dr "Awwww mum, you don't understand me!!!"

Don't worry kids, in a few years time you'll be the "old timers", and you'll be the ones on the receiving end of such sockpuppetry and whining.

To quote PTerry:

‘We Shall Overcome’ is a song which, in various languages, is common on every known world in the multiverse. It is always sung by the same people, viz., the people who, when they grow up, will be the people who the next generation sing 'We Shall Overcome’ at.

10. Luckayy

articles like this are just stupid

how to get a lot of money by writing articles...

make articles about pewdiepie being a "moron" and a "racist"

articles like this get a lot of attention which just prompts more big companies to write stupid articles like this...

they have used someone who has just taken the joke to far and hacked people to criticise pewdiepie

yes i agree hacking thousands of people just for this is bad, but why do you have to criticise pewdiepie its not like he did the hacking.

stop sitting on your computer or on your phone looking at articles worrying what people like to do on the internet you middle aged mom's and go watch some TV or something to entertain yourself

1. HiImBlank

Re: articles like this are just stupid

EXACTLY!

2. bitwise

Re: articles like this are just stupid

You know nothing about how much journalists are paid.

He did get people to hold up anti semetic signs.

His videos are clearly moronic.

11. Poppy Harlow

Representee of the 9 Year Old Army

You seem to be absolutely hell bent on demonising who quite frankly, doesn’t deserve it. He’s absolutely slipped up in the past and admittedly done and said some really regrettable shit (stuff that I do not condone, for the record) but I think you’re chosing to over look facts here; he’s an entertainer, he makes jokes. He has to be over the top and be obnoxious. Welcome to YouTube, where the loudest and the flashiest rise to the top. They’re not only trying their best to be entertaining to their fans, but are also having to battle a forever changing algorithm.

I’m not saying his supposed ‘anti-semitic’ behaviour is simply a joke and he can say do whatever he wants and get away with it. The ‘death to all Jews’ segment (which most people including Pewdiepie don’t find the subject matter inherently funny, it’s the severity of it, because they know it’s not right) is the sort of joke you would maybe make behind closed doors with friends. It was really stupid and regrettable to post it publically (and again, I don’t really condone it), but he’s absolutely acknowledged the criticisms he’s faced, and even asked people to keep him accountable going forward. Also, please don’t even try to pretend that you’re above it. Yourself and everyone reading this article I’m sure at one point have all made over the top jokes with our friends, Pewdiepie just a bit stupidly posted it to his large audience.

Now, with regards to your clearly not biased view that he’s an awful YouTuber desperately trying every dirty method he can to claw his way to stay at the top, and trash T Series, a innocent Bolywood channel along the way, which I’m guessing you think is some sort of premeditated racist attack on Indian people as well. Again. It’s all a joke. I don’t think he even really started this ‘campaign’, it seemed to have been sparked by another channel called Mr Beast, where he created an almost call to arms movement trying to keep Pewdiepie number one. Using billboards, radio messages as well as his relevance to spread his message. And just seems to me like Pewdiepie is going along with the joke. As a someone who has watched YouTube for years (and watches it over TV and film normally) I don’t think I ever been so engaged as a viewer, this constantly evolving debuckle is absolutely hilarious, and it’s so funny to see how just when we think it all over and T Series is going to win (which absolutely fair play if they do, their number and statistics are absolutely unreal, and their audience obviously loves their channel), something happens to keep the flame alive. And Pewdiepie knows this, and will do all that he can to make this entertaining for his fans.

He’s even publicly stated that he honestly does not care if he dethroned as number one most subscribed. That’s because to him, the thing more important that status and an arbitrary statistic are the people behind those numbers; his fans. So when this does run out of steam and T Series eventually and rightfully do take over, I’ll still be watching Pewdiepie. I truly love his honesty personality and content, and it really has made me truly smile during some tougher times in my life. And I think I speak for every 9 year old when I say this; I will always be a fan.

So in summary; your points are full of shit, your research is non-existant and it’s pretty clear you have no idea what you’re talking about. Go find some else to write an article on and leave good, honest people alone.

Also, he’s a “streamer” and makes videos on games? lol. That might actually make his content original!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Representee of the 9 Year Old Army

Poppy, making anti-semitic jokes is wrong wherever you do it, you're still a terrible person but you're only a terrible person in front of a small number of people.

Unless you've got 70million plus people watching you.

If you think that sort of 'over the top joke' is acceptable then you need to take a long hard look at your your life and circle of friends.

Handy tip, to help work out if a 'joke' is acceptable, try replacing 'Jews' with one of the terms of abuse used by racists, mysoginists, homphobes etc. etc. and see how acceptable those jokes are then.

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Besides, he should've posted a teeny tiny DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A TEST TO SHOW THAT PEOPLE CAN GET AWAY WITH RACIST/HOMOPHOBIC/WHATEVER JOKES. THIS IS NOT INTENDED. I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO CAUSE ANY HARM.

He didn't.

1. HiImBlank

Waseem... If You Knew That It Was An Joke, Why Are You So Offened By It As If This Was New News?

2. HiImBlank

Wait, Why Are We Even Talking About The Anti-Semitic Mistake That Occured Years Ago? This Article Is About An Hacker Hacking Printers To Support Pewdiepie, And Has Nothing To Do With Pewdiepie’s Accident Years Ago.. So WhY ArE We TaLkInG AbOUt It?!

2. JohnFen

"is the sort of joke you would maybe make behind closed doors with friends."

Umm, no, it's not.

"please don’t even try to pretend that you’re above it."

Please don't try to pretend that you know what people you've never heard from would or would not do.

"your clearly not biased view that he’s an awful YouTuber"

I think the issue isn't whether or not he's an awful YouTuber. The issue is whether or not he's an awful human being.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No... The REAL Question, Is Why Is There An Amount Of Hate Between Pewdiepie Fans And The Media?

12. Zig

Let me do their job for them as they’re so incompetent

Pewdiepie is YouTube’s number one most subscribed YouTuber with 70+ million subscribers!

This article has shamed him and slandered him!

Felix in the past made a joke to do with a death threat to all Jews. It was a joke to see how at he could stretch the limits of a website. News articles took this joke out of context to make him look like a neo Nazi which he is most certainly not.

Today Pewdiepie is no longer the loud, screaming and obnoxius youtuber this article claims him to be who plays video games all day, as today he is a humble nice guy who reviews internet jokes on YouTube, he rarely plays games and when he does he adds commentary which is a nice touch.

This print hack was done to increase his subscriber count of his channel as he is facing being dethroned from the top spot on YouTube as most subscribed channel. His fans have made it their duty to keep him on top of YouTube and this is a hacker who is trying to help pewdiepie!

Thank you for reading,

1. squigbobble

Slander vs. libel

Google the difference between them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

"This print hack was done to increase his subscriber count"

And do you believe it's an acceptable way? What happens to him or his fans if he's no longer "number one"? Does the world end? Does war start? Do you die? Do you lose your job and your money (maybe he will lose some...)? Is you dog or cat kidnapped or killed?

Is that a good reason to ruin other people's work? Really?

Maybe you've watched one too many of his videos... and lost contact with reality.

I'm just sorry he got undeserved publicity even here - and no, I'm not going to follow a moron....

3. JohnFen

Re: Let me do their job for them as they’re so incompetent

"This print hack was done to increase his subscriber count of his channel as he is facing being dethroned from the top spot on YouTube as most subscribed channel. His fans have made it their duty to keep him on top of YouTube and this is a hacker who is trying to help pewdiepie!"

You say this in a rather approving tone. Do you even understand that this sort of action makes his fans (and, by extension, him) look terrible?

4. JohnFen

Re: Let me do their job for them as they’re so incompetent

"Felix in the past made a joke to do with a death threat to all Jews. It was a joke to see how at he could stretch the limits of a website."

Well, I guess he found out, didn't he?

13. Glen 1

Newbs

These accounts:

Zig

Poppy Harlow

FrançoisL

c_matthews92

SmallWhiteGirl

Iron Bones

They are all defending whats-his-name, all created on the same day as the article, and as of the time of writing, have not commented on any other article.

Welcome to the community, perhaps you might stick around?

1. squigbobble

Re: Newbs

In case you haven't guessed, they've all come from Reddit, Iron Bones' pretentious argument style is a dead giveaway for that. The posts about this article have dropped off the front page of r/PewdiepieSubmissions so we won't see any more of them. It was all blatant karmawhoring anyway, just people playing to Pewds' subreddit userbase for virtual pats on the back-

https://www.reddit.com/r/PewdiepieSubmissions/search?q=register&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

https://www.reddit.com/r/PewdiepieSubmissions/search?q=theregister&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

Iron Bones is most likely nanisk, as they posted a screenshot of their comment and invited a raid for the aforementioned virtual backpats- https://www.reddit.com/r/PewdiepieSubmissions/comments/a243at/please_go_help_our_fellow_9_yo_defend_felix/

Considering that the sub has 3/4 of a million subscribers and 10,000+ online, it's a pathetic raid. Having to create an account probably put off a few people.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I thought new posters were subject to pre-moderation for a certain number of posts? This looked like being intended to provoke an old Usenet style intruder flame war.

2. Mark 85

You noticed that also. Seems to happen upon occasion doesn't it. At least this time around it wasn't politics.

3. Poppy Harlow

*author creates polarising article about popular YouTuber with ridiculous title*

*people are surprised when there is backlash*

There is so much misinformation and just plain laziness in this article, what’s wrong with creating an account to comment on these things? This is a comment section after all, or is it just meant to be an echo chamber/circle jerk of views shared by the author?

And this article showed up for me on my Google homepage under the ‘Pewdiepie’ topic. I can’t speak for everyone defending Felix on here but I’m not from Reddit. Don’t just assume this is a raid and try to discount people’s opinions that way.

Also I’ll be definitely stick around, what a wonderfully inviting and positive community. I’m sure the people on here saying how Pewdiepie’s subscribers are “assholes” and other such nicities are people I’d love to intereact with. But I actually I actually already have that with Pewdiepie’s subscribers so I’ll have to pass. Thanks though!

1. JohnFen

"what’s wrong with creating an account to comment on these things? "

What's wrong with actually pointing out what the errors in the article are? I haven't seen a single comment that does that yet.

2. JohnFen

"try to discount people’s opinions that way."

Nah, what's discounting most of these people's opinions is their inability to actually offer anything that supports their opinions.

4. Iron Bones

Shock and horror, accounts created to post a comment. Whatever next!? I actually found its a really open minded community so far. Aiming to be fair and provide both sides to an argument without attempting to push an agenda. (Please tell me you understand sarcasm)

1. Poppy Harlow

Irom Bones you are the literally the only person on here that actually speaks sense. God bless you.

5. JamesE535353

Yes. These people see an article of blatant slander and stand up for someone that they know is a good person. Compared to you who reads one article, doesn't even know the guys name, and without looking into the man's career at all, attacks him and his followers.

1. JohnFen

"These people see an article of blatant slander"

If the "slander" (I think you meant "libel" here) is really so blatant, why hasn't anyone managed to point out what false facts it includes? In order to be libelous, it has to be untrue.

14. squigbobble

Get thee back to reddit

This article's dropped off the first page of r/PewdiepieSubmissions/ so the whiteknighting will have stopped now. 3/4 of a million subscribers to that sub, 10,000+ online and all they could manage was 5 people. A chan raid this was not.

The Iron Bones guy is most likely ninask, as he/she/it went a-karmawhoring back to reddit with a screenshot of their post- https://www.reddit.com/r/PewdiepieSubmissions/comments/a243at/please_go_help_our_fellow_9_yo_defend_felix/

1. squigbobble

Re: Get thee back to reddit

Well, I was optimistic.

15. Aynon Yuser

Why any grown man would ever intentionally refer to himself as PoopiePie is beyond me. He obviously caters to the lowest common denominator on the net, who are earning him a fortune. Wouldn't surprise me if he hired some Russian hackers for cheap to help him gain publicity to increase his popularity using, and then deny it.

Wait. Didn't Tronald Dump do this successfully? I presume this is going to be the norm in 2019.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

2019?

You are way late to the internet? Been this way since 2009!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 2019?

2009? Been this way since 1995...

2. HiImBlank

*Gasp?! (Shock Emoji, Shock Emoji, Shock Emoji)

16. Pseudonymous Clown Art

This is old...

...as the hills.

Someone just automated it.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: This is old...

Someone automated it decades ago. See: Kibo.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This is old...

The saddest thing about this thread now is it's been 15 hours since this post, and Kibo still hasn't appeared.

17. FlippingGerman

Interesting

how many posters here in support of PDP joined just to make that post. No doubt some would attribute this to his "army" of supporters.

I have essentially no opinion on him, since I know little about what he does, apart from that I find it to be of little interest. Mass printer hacks are more my thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting

Years ago when I was involved in this kind of thing an engineer in the office did a search on exposed Port 9100s and we were very shocked - so much so that we advised all our clients to check for this security risk. It would seem that at the time some IT people thought it was clever - you could do a remote batch print over the Internet.

I would just note that the author of this is not a hacker. It is trivial to print to port 9100. He's just a sociopath with a weird obsession.

I don't know anything about this PDP person but an awful lot of entertainers get very rich on a thin talent which they somehow milk. It's nothing new, and they will also have their over the top fans. As Darwin's Watch puts it, language evolved for the purpose of shouting defiance at the monkeys in the next tree. We can't all be Will Self, or Pushkin, and we can't all be the kind of people who get their kicks from reading them.

1. jake Silver badge

Not a hacker, no. A skiddie, at best. Note the juvenile ASCII art.

Agree on sociopath. "Weird" doesn't even begin to describe the obsession, though. It borders on pathological.

2. jake Silver badge

I support a PDP. A dozenish, actually. Mostly -10s and -11s ...

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Coat

jake I support a PDP. A dozenish, actually. Mostly -10s and -11s ...

So no doubt at this time of year you’re busy moving them all to corridors?

As in, “DEC the halls”?

(Oh, please yourselves.)

1. jake Silver badge

Most of the DEC kit that I own was acquired for the price of "if you can move it out of here within the next week, you can have it". So I guess you could say I've hauled those DECs.

2. ibmalone

As in, “DEC the halls”?

Finally something good has come from this nonsense.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Honestly the number of extremely triggered baby boomers on this article amazes me. It's clear that they don't actually no what 'pewdiepie' does or what the point of the channel is.I found it a real shame how this article just paints him with one wide brush and calls him a moron and such just because of some satire that went too far.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, 'satire' is great, especially when it's deeply offensive to minorities right?

Here's a tip, Felix is Swedish, why don't you go and have a read of some history books, specifically the role of the Nazi's and their sympathisers in Sweden, then see if you can work out why his targeting of Jewish people in his deeply offensive video is not 'satire'.

If you still can't work it out, try replacing the word 'Jews' with any word used by bigots, maybe one that has been used to abuse you or someone you like and/or care about and see if it's still 'funny' when it's on a youtube channel with 70 million plus viewers who will defend the person posting the video

2. ibmalone

Honestly the number of extremely triggered baby boomers on this article amazes me. It's clear that they don't actually no what 'pewdiepie' does or what the point of the channel is.I found it a real shame how this article just paints him with one wide brush and calls him a moron and such just because of some satire that went too far.

Honestly, I'm curious where you think the "extremely triggered baby boomers" are. (Personally neither a baby nor a boomer.) What I do see are a lot of people registering on a technology news site to express their extreme outrage that their favourite youtube hero has been "slandered" (a.k.a. mentioned in a report because one of his other followers did something silly at his prompting). Read some more articles, stick around, actually converse rather than screaming, you might just learn something. Because without giving more ad-views to an apparently "kids entertainer", I've got a pretty good sense of them by now from the people popping up to unnecessarily defend them.

19. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Trollface

"Giraffe hacks printers worldwide to promote God-awful YouTuber"

I know the resemblance is striking, but it isn't nice to nickname Trumpy the Klown's daughter like this.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The truth about Felix

1. The whole anti-semitism thing was satire taken out of context. Felix was making the point that people on the internet would do anything for money, even be anti-semitic. He chose anti-semitism as the most outrageous and horrific position; clearly he does not hold it himself.

2. Felix is just a humble guy doing what he loves. He is not obnoxious or crass; his fans simply understand his satire while this article does not have the subtlety to do the same.

3. A self-made man, he is more intelligent in regards to financial security than almost else anyone in the entertainment sector. He saves his money and is known for his humility and complete lack of the frivolous spending that we see everywhere these days.

4. The competition with T-Series is almost entirely a joke, and most involved actually see the levels of irony it contains. Besides that, it is very seriously a symbol of the independent creator, the entrepreneur, the lone working man being overtaken by massive corporations. YouTube is an egalitarian holdout, one of the last remaining places where the independent man (or woman) can compete on level ground with the enormous companies destroying his or her independent profession. We do not want this to change. This a way of symbolically fighting back against the huge companies that are taking ver the modern, globalized world. Literally, this is a company with thousands of employees in India displacing a hardworking man working every day in Brighton. I wish him good luck, and so should all of you.

1. Justicesays
      Facepalm

Re: The truth about Felix

"1. The whole anti-semitism thing was satire taken out of context. Felix was making the point that people on the internet would do anything for money, even be anti-semitic. He chose anti-semitism as the most outrageous and horrific position; clearly he does not hold it himself."

He literally did it himself. To get views on his monetized channel. He is one of the "people on the internet [that] would do anything for money, even be anti-semitic".

Don't let the cognitive dissonance smack you in the ass on the way out.

21. Hood_Robin

Wack

I’m not gonna lie, this article is completely biased and considerably ignorant on the subject matter; in fact attacking Pewdiepie and his subscribers. If you’re going to report on the hacking of the printers which is the main topic, there is no need to bring up some propaganda against a youtuber who is more relevent than this entire forum and all their writers and editors combined. Next time if y’all wanna consider yourself a “news source” leave out your personal biased opinion. PS: subscribe to Pewdiepie and get unbiased news from his “PewNews” videos. #brofist

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wack

Second wave of redditors arriving. Haven't we got some S-300 batteries to deal with this kind of thing?

2. JudeKay (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Wack

https://regmedia.co.uk/2018/12/03/reg_u_mad_bro.jpg

22. cat_mara
    Coat

Don't any of these PewDiePie stans[1]...

... know how to use a bloody comma?! Weren't you issued any when you picked this hill (OK, minor elevation. OK, molehill) to die on? You poor dears. Here you go, knock yourselves out: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

[1] See? I know the lingo of the youths! I'm still with it! Sigh, I'm not with it, am I? Mine's the one with The Complete Plain Words in the pocket...

23. cat_mara

Mind you...

... I'm really loving how the "IT tabloid" ambience of El Reg has been improved by this influx of Speak You're Branes-level of commenter. I can't imagine a more hilarious level of offended stuffiness than if, say, the Daily Mail ran an article about Jeremy Corbyn curling one out on a giant poppy or something...

24. BebopWeBop
    Holmes

Its remarkable the number of people who have created accounts or about December 1-2 specifically do defend this arsehole. I wonder who (t)he(y) is(are)

1. keithsucks

the guy has 74million subscribers, if you don't think people will defend him then you are a fool. Just like when people attack someone's favorite celebrity lol

25. Twanky
    Alert

Raid?

I read this article earlier today when there were fewer comments - I can't be bothered to read the rest of the comments on this article so if someone else has already made these points then please feel free to express your outrage in the usual manner.

Thing 1: I don't follow anyone on 'social media' - or for that matter on mainstream media. At least not that I can think of immediately. So, I know next to nothing about PewDiePie and his output and I'm reluctant to change that. IMO some people seem to be 'celebrities' for the oddest reasons.

Thing 2: Once upon a time I registered with El Reg because I wanted to comment on an article or someone else's comment. I don't intend to research what it was. The point is: something touched a nerve and I signed up to be able to comment. PewDiePie's supporters (and for all I know some detractors) have done the same. I really don't mind, everyone has to start somewhere.

Thing 3: I only watch cat (and dog) videos on YouTube that manage to get past a very effective filter. If SWMBO tells me I 'have to see this' then it's usually quite funny.

Thing 4: I understand that people who are fans of the most popular talent on YouTube don't want to be relegated to be fans of the second most popular talent on YouTube. That said, all they have to do is change the definition of 'most popular' or 'talent' and they can claim pretty much anything they like. I do get it that there's serious advertising money involved.

Thing 5: Don't tell me I'm old or call be Grandad. I know I'm older then some and not as old as others. I'm not so old that I don't remember being young - sometimes with embarrassment. I'm so old that whenever I read something about PewDiePie I imagine a small canary with an annoying voice (memo to self: must not laugh at people with speech impediments - especially if they hate cats). Only my grandchildren may call me Grandad. They think I'm very old.

Thing 6: IMO the main point of the article is about insecure systems which allow total strangers to print on your printers (and probably worse). In terms of security lessons learned it might have been better if the miscreant had printed a few thousand pages with something like 'This page intentionally left blank' - but then he might not have got any new subscribers for his hero.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is, in this vulture's opinion, absolute garbage

I know it's not the worst thing one has to do in one's job, to watch idiots, yet...I have some sympathy to anyone having to be exposed to things like phew-whever-his-vid-pal's name. Well, watching pres. Trump would be another one of those things, but then, I guess, it generally pays well (enough)...

27. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

9100 is closwd. Yay.

28. JohnFen

The thing I appreciate about PewDiePie

The thing I appreciate about PewDiePie is that he perfectly encapsulates most of the worst aspects of the internet.

29. Subscribe to PewDiePie

He’s not so bad

You gotta give him a chance, it’s just the younger generations sense of humor. He’s not anti-Semitic nor as vulgar as the majority of media out there. I doubt that the writer of this article even watched more than 2 videos. I mean he hardly even plays games anymore, which is much to the detriment of society. So all this to say... subscribe to PewDiePie and unsubscribe from T-Series. Join the ranks of Ben Shapiro and Mr. Beast to help win the war. *clap* *clap*

1. JohnFen

Re: He’s not so bad

"You gotta give him a chance"

You're wrongly assuming that nobody here already has.

"it’s just the younger generations sense of humor."

No, it's the sense of humor of a certain subset of people (mostly young). I know plenty of young people who find him highly objectionable.

"He’s not anti-Semitic"

You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding.

1. HiImBlank

What??????

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Join the ranks of Ben Shapiro and Mr. Beast to help win the war.

Who & who?

I wasn't aware there was a formal declaration of war - who are we fighting this time?

The only reason I can see for so many people 'following' the recorded meanderings of others on youtube is either morbid curiosity or hoping they capture the moment they auto-Darwinate themselves....

i have to admit to using some youtube content - the Canary singing master recordings are great for teaching our young ones to sing and (unless PETA get involved) are unlikely to be copyrighted this side of the next ELE

30. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Oh my god, there's retards ( well, one retard with many names ) everywhere.

Paris because, well, why not.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just another day on the internet

I don't see why we're all getting wound up....

.....In this day and age, if he wants to identify as a pie then who are we to judge?

Mine's the coat with popcorn in the pockets

1. HiImBlank

Re: Just another day on the internet

Yes Indeed.

32. Chris King
    Coat

But I don't want to be a pie...

I don't like gravy !

(Lawyers for Aardman Animation on line one)

33. HiImBlank

StOoP HaTiNg!!! (Mad Emoji, Mad Emoji, Mad Emoji)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like