back to article Why is my Windows 10 preview build ticking? Microsoft reminds users that previews have timebombs

While getting a release of a wobble-free Windows 10 is proving an impossible mission for Microsoft, the Windows Insider team are at pains to warn its army of unpaid testers that older preview builds will soon self-destruct. The self-immolation is due to a "timebomb" left in preview versions of the operating system which is set …

1. David 132 Silver badge
    FAIL

Also in this build...

...simple UI options for: disabling automatic download of crap like Candy Crush; disabling telemetry; and disabling web search when you're just trying to launch VLC but instead get a list of everything the world's 1 remaining Bing user has ever searched for including that term.

Oh, and also in this build, a leprechaun pops out of the USB port every 5 minutes and waves at you.

All of the above statements are equally true.

1. Hans 1
      Windows

Re: Also in this build...

Candy Crush is bringing in moneys to MS, you have to remove it, it should not come back - I did some years ago, have not seen it come back, yet!

Telemetry should be opt-out by default according to GDPR, small claims court ?

"disabling web search when you're just trying to launch VLC" -> Basically, disable Cortana in GPO and web search.

E.g.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-web-results-windows-10-search

No, I have not tried those instructions, but after a quick look, it appears to be that.

1. AJ MacLeod

I regularly remove Candy Crush (and the ten million assorted other abominations MS force feed hapless users) from new PCs only to see it "....Installing" in the start menu a second or two later. Usually I can win the race after uninstalling it the second or third time, after which is stays out until the next Windows update of any significance.

1. Hans 1
          Windows

Weird, I removed it once quite some years ago, it has no come back, and trust me, if any of that shit comes back I think I'll blow a fuse ...

2. Sandtitz Silver badge
          Boffin

"I regularly remove Candy Crush (and the ten million assorted other abominations MS force feed hapless users) from new PCs only to see it "....Installing" in the start menu a second or two later."

That's because the bundled versions on the OS media are out of date and the Store app checks for updates immediately when the computer is online. The updates are added to the download queue. The removed apps will bounce back once the update is downloaded.

Either pause and and cancel the App updates, disable automatic App updates, or disconnect the computer until you've uninstalled the apps.

Also, disable the "occasionally show suggestions on start menu" setting.

HTH.

3. Yorick

That’s a setting. Something something “show occasional recommendations in Start Menu”. Turn that off and Candy should no longer be Crushing on you.

There’s a second setting about “Show occasional tips about using Windows”, turn that off to stop Windows whining at you that you should really use Edge, it’s like edgier and Mrs Edgelord and not just shiny bling like Chrome! Black is edgy baby.

4. Carl D

As I think I've mentioned once or twice before...

... to avoid the installation of Candy Crush, March of Empires, Bubble Witch 3, Disney's Magic Kingdoms etc. make sure your computer is NOT connected to the Internet when installing Windows 10.

And, no matter how many times W10 insists on having an Internet connection during the install (once for W10 Home and TWICE for W10 Professional that I've counted so far) just refuse, wait and stay disconnected from the Internet until the install has finished.

I also turn off and remove all the flipping and flashing tiles which I have no use for, install all of the necessary drivers (from the manufacturers' websites) and adjust all of my privacy settings, etc. before connecting to the Internet.

Of course, disconnecting from the Internet isn't possible if you're doing, say, an 1803 to 1809 upgrade through Windows Update but what I would do in that case is download the new 1809 ISO and put it on a thumb drive or DVD and upgrade from that (with the computer disconnected from the Internet, of course).

Oh, and a "heads up" about a new sneaky trick in W10 1809 Home Edition after a clean install - the option to turn off "Allow downloads from other PC's" in Windows Update is 'greyed out' and not able to be turned off UNTIL you check for Windows Update for the first time. As soon as Windows finds and starts downloading updates the option to switch off "Allow downloads from other PC's" 'magically' becomes available.

2. David 132 Silver badge

Hans 1 "Basically, disable Cortana in GPO and web search."

Oh, agreed, although Microsoft have tended to ignore a lot of those GPO policies lately - they're still there when you fire up the Group Policy Editor, but many of them don't actually have any effect unless you're running Education or Enterprise variants of the OS.

But my point - made with my usual clunking attempt at humor, sorry - was that it would be nice to see simple, obvious options for this in the UI. At this point I'd even put up with Microsoft's usual games, whereby they put an option there in 6 point font, dark blue on a slightly-darker-blue background, and when you click on it it pops up with "Are you sure you don't want to not unset this option? [OK | Yes]".

Edit: and re the removal of Candy Crush & the other shovelware... I built a clean installation of 1809 Pro on a Thinkpad earlier this week. I set the GPO to "disable consumer experience", turned off all the "occasionally show suggestions in start/taskbar" options I could find, and still got an unending stream of notifications that "Dolby ProAudio has installed! Check it out!" "Realtek Audio Console has installed! Check it out!" "Legends of Candy Saga Lootbox of Duty Turismo has installed! Check it out!".

So while I acknowledge your own experience and suggestions, I'm not happy with Microsoft.

2. macjules
    Facepalm

News just in ..

Windows users can now enjoy the added security of multi-factor authentication on their machines.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

But this is Windows...

... every version comes with a ticking timebomb.

1. Teiwaz

Re: But this is Windows...

... every version comes with a ticking timebomb.

So it's not the Penguin on top of you TV about to explode on the 14th.

They really should have aligned it (Windows self destruct) to the 12th Day of Christmas as put together a carol about it.

Hey, it's the Christmas present every true love wants.

All that's left is to wait for who claims responsibility, Al Sharpton, the IRA or British Gas (see you in a few decades Douglas, maybe sooner).

1. jelabarre59

Re: But this is Windows...

They really should have aligned it (Windows self destruct) to the 12th Day of Christmas as put together a carol about it.

" ...Fiiiiiiiive Gooooooolden Bings..." ding, ding, ding, ding, BOOM!!!!!!!!

2. el kabong

Windows itself is a ticking time bomb.

It ticks, it explodes. Often it blows while in the middle of an explosion.

Then it restarts ticking.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Isn't it just wonderful ?

The hardware you paid for, using the OS you paid for (one way or the other*), is going to stop working unless you install the update that doesn't work.

Man am I glad I stayed on Win 7.

Waiting for Linux to do everything I need doing.

* either you updated a Windows that you paid for, or you bought a new computer - so you paid for it

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: Isn't it just wonderful ?

Only the alpha or beta unfinished trial releases expire... for now. But each "finished" version eventually will be unsupported, and hacked to heck by hooligans from h-overseas. I suppose you know that Windows 7 will, too.

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Waiting for Linux to do everything I need doing.

OK, I'll take the bait. That would be?

3. jelabarre59

Man am I glad I stayed on Win 7 LINUX.

There, FTFY.

5. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Unhappy

Ticking?

I thought that meant it was literally sending ticking sound effects to the audio buffer. That would have been brilliant.

6. DJV Silver badge

Quality

The day the Windows team actually focuses on quality I'll be outside with a large net catching elevated avian bacon!

7. DJV Silver badge

Fluent design?

You sure they're not reading from a book entitled "Flatulent Design"?

Happy

Re: Fluent design?

No, it’s on a computer, so it’s e-fluent design. The hyphen is optional.

8. Herby

Then there are registry hacks...

...That might soon be published that get around such things. Give it some time, and they will appear. Sorry I don't do Microsoft, so I won't contribute, but "watch this space".

9. Anonymous Custard
    Joke

Getting fruity?

Another handy feature sees an orange indicator shown in the system tray to indicate that an update is awaiting a reboot.

So what shows normally when it doesn't need one? A lemon?

Happy

Re: Getting fruity?

Well, at least one of my other computers shows an Apple symbol in one corner of the screen... maybe Microsoft are just paying homage. Or perhaps it's their way of saying "orange you glad we have updates"..?

Sorry. I'm plum out of decent fruit puns.

1. Teiwaz

Apple symbol in one corner of the screen...

Or have you been plucking forbidden fruit*

*(Bible never mentions an apple though, why it's assumed to be an apple I think has to do with it possibly originally being a pomegranite (since Eve was the plucker).

2. jelabarre59

So what shows normally when it doesn't need one? A lemon?

Doesn't need to. The OS already is one.

10. karlkarl Silver badge

If you run a amateur operating system, you are an amateur and will simply get amateur problems.

Enjoy your amateur timebombs, you amateurs :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon