back to article 'Massage parlour' location looks like Amazon stealth-testing secret new wireless network

Evidence suggests Amazon could be pretending to be a massage parlour to avoid attracting attention to a new network it is testing in Silicon Valley, applying for radio permits under a variety of names. The FCC has taken a chunk of spectrum (at 3.5Ghz) from the military and opened it up for commercial public use. It is hoped …

1. CAPS LOCK

"Chrome Enterprises"...

...cheeky...

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"Total Body Stretch"

Sounds rather scary to me. I mean, what if they make a mistake ? We're not going to get a new Fantastic 4 member out of that place, now are we ?

Besides, I hate massage parlors because I hate being touched by people I don't know. It doesn't relax me.

1. Teiwaz

Re: "Total Body Stretch"

Besides, I hate massage parlors because I hate being touched by people I don't know. It doesn't relax me.

Hairdressers unsettle me for the same reason.

Swigs bottle labelled 'Redeye'

1. ma1010
        Trollface

Hairdressers unsettle me for the same reason.

Not to mention telephone sanitizers!

2. big_D Silver badge

I think that Tomás de Torquemada perfected the technique in the 15th Century.

3. EveryTime

It's a credible theory. It's exactly what I would do to make it a little less obvious what the company was working on, right down to using a massage parlor as the front. And throw in a competitor's product name just to confuse the issue.

4. Mike 16

Do they promise

A "Happy Ending"?

5. Mark 85

Is it actually Amazon or a competitor seeking "inside" info on Amazon since industrial espionage has always been a "thing"? Enquiring minds and all that.

6. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

The Man from U.N.C.L.E....

IIRC they used a tailor's changing room as the secret entrance to their HQ. Their enemy was THRUSH. Let's hope Amazon don't encounter a similar adversary.

1. Mark 85

Re: The Man from U.N.C.L.E....

Then there was Maxwell Smarts' telephone booth...

7. Commswonk

A New Euphemism?

I rather like the idea of "Houses of ill Repute" being called "fulfilment centres", seeing as the article used the term.

On second thoughts, if some reports are correct at Ama*on Fulfilment Centres it's the employees who get screwed, not the customers.

8. Mage Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

FCC captured

It would make more sense for it to be ISM, like WiFi band. Make it illegal for Mobile operators to use it or WiFi. FCC greed & Mobile Greed.

Femto cells on MOBILE bands are fine indoors. More masts is the solution outdoors. Not more spectrum to be poorly managed.

1. Suricou Raven

Re: FCC captured

There's a pecking order on spectrum allocations.

1. The military.

2. Civil government.

3. Industry with deep pockets who want exclusive spectrum to provide a commercial service.

4. Certain things established by international agreement back when spectrum was plentiful enough to give away for free: ISM and ham.

5. Scientific use.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like