back to article Microsoft suffers the Tuesday shakes as Exchange Online continues to be wobbly for UK users

Microsoft's on-again, off-again relationship with the Outlook clients of UK Office 365 subscribers has entered its second day, and some users found themselves still unable to access their email. It looked like things were sorting themselves out by the end of Monday, and Microsoft's Twitter mouthpiece confirmed as much. We're …

1. LeahroyNake

Is Daz in sales ?

'In the meantime, pity poor Daz, who had just finished explaining the joy of cloud when it all came crashing down. ®'

See title. Daz can go explain himself and is getting no pity from me.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Is Daz in sales ?

"I put all my eggs in someone else's basket and have no idea where the basket is or what's happened to my eggs but I'm assured that I can get them back and look at them any time I ask to..."

Yeah... poor Daz, my backside.

At the very least you need it as an EXTENSION on in-house/on-prem, but not a replacement. That's just stupid.

Fortunately, the exact thing that Daz is suggesting (outsource the IT department to Microsoft) is likely the exact thing that will happen too. Not only is it "how to put all your eggs in someone else's basket", it's also "how to put myself out of a job even if everything worked 100% as I expected".

1. TimR

"how to put myself out of a job even if everything worked 100% as I expected"

No, Daz in an "IT services Manager" - it'll be his tech engineers who will be out of a job....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>"IT services Manager" - it'll be his tech engineers

The two ain't mutually exclusive y'know.

2. SVV

Never mind Daz, the people you were preaching to now know that you have zero idea of the concepts of risk assessment and mitigation, as indeed the rest of the world do too, after you publicly demonstrated it on Twitter. Good luck with getting hired again after doing that.

1. Rich 11

the people you were preaching to now know that you have zero idea of the concepts of risk assessment and mitigation

Unless he was preaching to our managers.

2. blunderbus

MFA Bonus

As a bonus, non-blighty users are now stuck in the MFA borked hell again.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two things that are far far away

Your O365 data and the Mars Lander.

If something breaks, its quite a predicament.

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Two things that are far far away

I'd put money on the Mars lander being being more resilient!

4. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Facepalm

Its strange

how us techie types can yell "The cloud is not a good idea as we're going to get outages in service."

And its as if the manglement put fingers in their ears and go "lalalalalalalalala we cant hear you" (I think the offsite snake oil salesman put spells on them to make them to that)... then fire all the doom mongering tech types.

Until today when the senior manglement say "wheres our emails?"

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Rich 11

Re: Its strange

But... but... outsourcing everything is so much more cost-effective! I should know because a management consultant told my boss so.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"then someone’s argument comes true"

That argument was valid from the onset of this current cloud fad and it has already been validated a good number of times, Daz.

It's not our fault if you ignore reality until it bites you in the demo.

And honestly, with Microsoft's could performance this year, you can thank your lucky stars it only happened to you in November.

6. a_yank_lurker

Cloudy Failure

Slurp appears to a slow motion failure on many fronts. An OS that is a nightmare, cloudy services that seem to spend about much time down as up, and no clue about user needs. Unless you are wedded to Slurp way not divorce them and find a better suitor.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

https://twitter.com/DazSilsby/status/1067471788660146177

Suggests that Daz is doubling down on cloud.

Nice that his employers are so sanguine about service though. Him being a service manager, that must make for a relaxing life. Let's hope the company doesn't do anything important.

8. Ben1892

Office 365 Exchange user here, no problems last week - no problems this week. I hate to spoil the "you only get problems in the cloud" narrative - in fact I've been using it all year and not had a single problem that wasn't caused by on-prem network issues (I could access my work email from a nearby coffee shop with WiFi though).

You get unplanned downtime/inaccessibility with on-prem solutions too, arguing that cloud is bad because; "look, Office 365 is having issues right now!!!" falls flat on it's face when you apply the same argument to an on-prem solution (it's just that you don't have to publish to the world that something went wrong)

1. LeahroyNake

You also don't have to publish that you have had 5 plus years of 100% uptime during working hours but whatever. At this rate I would have to pull the power for a few weeks to get down to Office 36? Uptime stats.

9. trollied

What...

... number are we down to so far this year?

Office 358?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like