back to article Grandmaster flash Samsung dominated SSD market in 3Q2018

SSD market stats for calendar Q3 from DRAMeXchange, IDC and TrendForce and Wells Fargo have highlighted three things: Samsung remains the global undisputed sales heavyweight; the PC industry will suck up more SSDs than disk drives next year; and NVME is the enterprise SSD interface of choice. Samsung, with 36 per cent revenue …

1. David Pearce

SSD has become more essential since recent rounds of anti-Spectre/Meltdown patches seem to have made PC disk access blocking on multiple cores. My I5s have become totally unresponsive with >95% system idle just because a Windows update file is downloading and frequently accessing the harddrive.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

There is a solution... well several actually

You could nuke windows update and only let it loose at certain times of the week.

Or you could nuke windows itself.

Microsoft do seem to have lost what little OS design and development skills they once had since SatNad took control and 'let go' a whole raft of people.

downloading a file should not screw up an i5 based system if the OS can do basic pre-emptive multi-tasking. That is pretty basic OS design. It is almost as if they have reverted back to the sort of Multi-Tasking that was in use circa 1985 when things like the VAX 11/780 (11/782) got a second CPU but the OS could not take full advantage of it until major upgrade of the OS came out.

2. goldcd

I wouldn't normally post a Linus link

but - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffzVc7ZB-o

I think he raises a pretty valid point about SSDs in general (getting slower).

Spinning Rust (putting aside weird stuff like shingles) was pretty simple to understand. Disk was a particular physical size, span at a particular speed, density kept going up - and everything got better (storage capacity and transfer speed).

SSD tech allows for more interesting design decisions - Sure you can have faster speeds, but for how long do you want that speed?

1. Andy00ff00

Re: I wouldn't normally post a Linus link

What's happening is, they're pushing physics and error-correction technology in an effort to make it cheaper (oh, and the usual industry attempts to get the engineering done as cheaply as possible - overstretch the good guys, minimise testing etc).

All standard engineering tradeoff stuff. QLC might actually suit most consumer workloads OK - where the SSD is usually only part-filled and rarely overwritten anyway. Enterprise drives have different optimisations (overprovisioning, MLC, ...).

You should be aware that Very Similar Stuff happens on spinning rust. It's not simple either - they do things like orient the molecules vertically to squeeze more in a small space, but again they know that the physics is on the margins so they store a lot of ECC data. However in the small-% of times it has to rescan the media, you incur 5ms for the disk to spin.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like