back to article Microsoft squeezes a 2019 server out of the Azure DevOps pipeline

Microsoft has emitted the first release candidate for the on-premises version of Azure DevOps in the form of Azure DevOps Server 2019. The release is more than the rebranding exercise promised back in September when Microsoft told the army of developers using its tools that Visual Studio Team Services would be battered with …

1. jelabarre59

Don't squeeze too hard

Just hope they didn't pop a blood vessel squeezing it out...

2. Andy Mac
    Windows

Azure(tm) is the new Windows(tm)

Just slap the name on everything and see what sticks. It worked for Windows RT, right?

3. Andy Denton

To be fair to Microsoft, the whole VSTS/Azure DevOps package is a compelling solution when compared to trying to graft together a pipeline of several disparate tools. My last contract was using VSTS and found the whole pipeline slick and powerful. My current contract uses an unholy mix of GitHub, JIRA, TeamCity, CircleCI, Heroku and Cloud Foundry. There's really no comparison and it feels like going back to the dark ages.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've not used it but I've spoken with colleagues from several MS-centric shops that have ditched TFS in favour of something that actually works (their words). Reportedly it was OK for single servers but scaled extremely poorly. Anecdotal I know, but it's been enough to put me off trying it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We moved from a zoo of OSS stuff to VSTS and Azure to manage apps across several thousand servers. The integrated Microsoft solution is just so much better, faster, more scalable and less costly and complex to manage.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Seen this quote a few times around here. C'mon dude, you've always been an MS shop!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like