back to article Microsoft dropkicks Cortana with Skype functionality on Alexa

Microsoft announced this week that Skype calling had arrived on Amazon's Echo, but the rollout took a little while, finally arriving at Vulture Central yesterday, so we took it for a spin to see how it works. The short answer is: pretty well. While there are now a bewildering array of methods to irritate friends and family …

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    WTF?

200 minutes free

.. so Skype-toSkype calls via Alexa won't be free after the 200 minutes run out? WTF?

1. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

Re: 200 minutes free

".. so Skype-toSkype calls via Alexa won't be free after the 200 minutes run out? WTF?"

I actually took it to mean 200 minutes of Skype to real world phone calls, as skype to skype is free and the calling of real world numbers is chargable, however now you've said that, I'm beginning to doubt myself.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent News

With the Alexa, Droid and iOS versions cracked - perhaps Microsoft devs will be freed up to produce a functional version of Skype for Windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Excellent News

>Skype for Windows.

It works well for me on Linux for the one person I have to have it for that insists on using Skype.

2. David 132 Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Excellent News

AC "With the Alexa, Droid and iOS versions cracked - perhaps Microsoft devs will be freed up to produce a functional version of Skype for Windows."

Put down the crack-pipe, that's crazy talk.

But I've upvoted you anyway, because people as delusional as you need to be gently humored :)

3. Semtex451

I used to work with a guy that looked just like that cat. I believe its somehow the combination of fear, disdain and bewilderment in its expression.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft announced this week that Skype calling had arrived on Amazon's Echo"

Ah, so THATS why Cortana unexpectedly started messaging me in Skype for OSX the other day. I've told her to sod off and leave me alone, but I now have the nagging feeling that she's listening in to my messaging conversations.

You can imagine old Clippy - "It looks like you're trying to have a private conversation. Would you like help with that?"

5. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

On the third day...

Aww, I was expecting you to go all the way up to seven, when things are supposed to take a rest.

6. Mayday
    Big Brother

How about neither?

No thanks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like