back to article Big Falcon Namechange for Musk's rocket: BFR becomes Starship

Elon Musk took to Twitter last night to announce the Big Falcon Rocket (BFR) will henceforth have the considerably more ambitious moniker Starship. We at The Register can only hope this is in reference to the '80s band, famed for such classics as "We Built This City" and 1987's "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now". Mainly because the …

1. 0laf
    Thumb Down

Starship

Shit name. Yawnfest.

With the subversive names of his landing barges I'd have thought he could come up with something less dull than that. BFR is still far better.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: Starship

With the subversive names of his landing barges I'd have thought he could come up with something less dull than that. BFR is still far better.

Given that the first flight of any new rocket tends to end in RUD, maybe the first one should be called "Big Bada Boom".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Arthur:

"Given that the first flight of any new rocket tends to end in RUD, maybe the first one should be called "Big Bada Boom"."

I like the joke, but... The Sputnik rocket didn't. Nor did the Saturn V, or the Saturn I. Or Black Knight. Or SpaceX's Falcon 9. Ariane 1 worked the first time (if not the second). Oh yes, an awful lot of first flights of a new rocket blew up, but a remarkable number didn't. Robert Goddard's first liquid fuelled rocket might not have flown high or fast, but even that one didn't explode.

Here's another that didn't:

<https://youtu.be/PNigku8jz48?t=18348>

1. phuzz Silver badge

"I like the joke, but... The Sputnik rocket didn't. Nor did the Saturn V, or the Saturn I. Or Black Knight. Or SpaceX's Falcon 9"

The "Sputnik rocket", AKA the R7 Semyorka exploded on it's first two flights, and while Black Knight was successful, Black Arrow, which was actually orbit capable, also failed on it's first flight. And lets not forget the less than perfect record of the Falcon 1...

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

This one didn't explode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaXW5TaFwAE

2. ArrZarr Silver badge
      Coat

Could be worse, they could have asked the internet for names.

Personally I'd have taken a cue from XKCD and called it the Big Up Goer.

@Arthur When dealing with rockets, RUD is referred to as a "Hard Start" according to John Clark

1. Tigra 07
        Alien

"Could be worse, they could have asked the internet for names"

Calling Spacey McSpaceshipFace in advance.

1. Fungus Bob

Re: Spacey McSpaceshipFace

Fartblaster Luna Smoothie?

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Starship/BFR names

I could not find the names of the colony ships that became Hadley's Hope on LV-426/Acheron. As they are nameless my vote goes for Nostromo.

1. Tigra 07
          Alien

I want to see his first inter-planetary colony ship emblazoned with the words "All your base are belong to us" on the side. The aliens won't get it, but we will.

2. Sgt_Oddball

Or Sulaco (the one from Aliens) but then that would require it being a military ship....

Still it'd mean powerloaders so it'd get my vote...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"When dealing with rockets, RUD is referred to as a "Hard Start" according to John Clark"

No, @Arthus is correct. A "hard start" is explosion of the rocket motor when first turned on. RUD is what happens subsequent to an otherwise successful takeoff.

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

RUD is what happens subsequent to an otherwise successful takeoff.

A RUD can happen at any time, it refers to the whole vehicle whereas as you say hard start refers to a motor. spacecom was surely a RUD of vehicle, payload and significant proportions of the launch complex.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
            Coat

should've picked "Thunderbird 6"

Or, alternately, 'Millenium' (ok I'll get my coat now)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Or, alternately, 'Millenium' (ok I'll get my coat now)"

Love it. Best suggestion so far :-)

2. Mark Dempster

>should've picked "Thunderbird 6"<

Thunderbird 6 was a Tiger Moth...

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Starship - A RUD can happen at any time, it refers to the whole vehicle

I guess you're right, thinking about it I really had UFIT in mind.

But I do note that AMOS-6 is merely described as an "anomaly", which is taking euphemism to a perhaps not overstated degree of litotes.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

@Arthus is correct. A "hard start" is explosion of the rocket motor when first turned on. RUD is what happens subsequent to an otherwise successful takeoff.

Lithobraking may or may not also be involved.

4. MachDiamond Silver badge

"@Arthur When dealing with rockets, RUD is referred to as a "Hard Start" according to John Clark"

A "hard start" is the engine exploding. A "R.U.D.E." is when the whole thing goes boom. (Rapid Unplanned Disassembly Event).

Been there. (Not with SpaceX, thank Bog)

3. WonkoTheSane
      Headmaster

The names of the drone ships are from "The Culture" series of scifi novels by Iain M Banks.

From that source, maybe he should've gone with another Culture name?

"Size Isn't Everything" or "So Much For Subtlety" seem likely candidates.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

@ WonkoTheSane - beat me to it!

I'd suggest "Proft Margin", "Screw Loose", "Funny, it Worked Last Time...", or possibly "Revisionist"

1. timrowledge

Sorry, can’t use “Revisionist” because I bagged (with no backsides!) ages ago for my backup server.

But being from California, surely the appropriate name to borrow is my old friend “May contain nuts”?

2. JDX Gold badge

The drone-barge ships are engineer-y things not linked to customers' billion-dollar satellites or squishy organs.

"The drone-barge ships are engineer-y things not linked to customers' billion-dollar satellites or squishy organs."

Exactly! Anything that is going to be directly in the public eye gets named by the marketers after many boozy lunches focus group meetings. And they always want a name that makes the product sound better than the rest, so superlatives get used and overused. Soap powder is probably the best example, ultra, best ever, new and improved...until the next ultra, best ever, new and improved version comes along.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Ah, superlatives in marketing... I saw a packet of dishwasher tablets recently. Finish Quantum Platinum Ultimate. And there was a yellow sign on the box saying new improved! How exactly does one improve on ultimate? Fuck knows what quantum has to do with anything - unless there's a cat trapped in the dishwasher...

4. Steve Graham

Subversive? Are they?

I thought they were references to Ian M Banks' "Culture" ships. Although I would argue that a vessel should be sentient and choose the name for itself.

I wrote a fan story (very poor; don't ask) about a ROU called "And Carry A Big Stick".

5. jmch Silver badge
      Devil

"Shit name"

Yep, pretty unimaginative. I liked BFR. We all knew what the F really stood for as well!!

6. Alister

If he'd stuck with names from Ian Banks novels, he could have had: "Prosthetic Conscience" or "So Much For Subtlety" either of which sum up Mr Musk, I thought.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

"Ethics Gradient" was my favorite

1. Santa from Exeter

Re: Starship (Culture names)

As it's designed to carry 'nauts I just hope it doesn't decide to become the alternative name for Grey Area i.e. Meatfucker!

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Should have be called a "Jefferson".

(or maybe a Jefferies Tube; or simply a "Scotty inside")

8. eldakka

Shoulda called it:

Insert Name Here

9. F111F
      Paris Hilton

Let's hope "Starship" will be the class name and subsequent ships will be named either for rock bands, subatomic particles, celebrities with sex tapes, or failed sub-orbital balloon ventures (LOHAN anyone?).

2. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker

Thanks for the earworm, Reg

My brain cued up the tune as soon as I saw "Starship" and hit play two words into the subhead.

My suggestion: If he wanted that word he could have made it "Starship Falcon". Less pop-rock and more gritty-sci-fi. It's in good company with the Romulans (Warbird) and Klingons (Bird-of-Prey); both monikers would fit a real Terran falcon well.

3. Dabbb

Apparently not only names changes every year but also a design.

Which is a good clue that it is indeed bull.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"Apparently not only names changes every year but also a design."

The mission changes too.

4. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

You'd have to be a Dummy,....

... to take Musk's declarations at face value.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: You'd have to be a Dummy,....

SpaceX - We will build reusable rockets, land them on a barge and re-launch them all for a price that we show publicly on our website.

Nasa - we will build a reusable shuttle that will be a pickup truck to space and launch every week more cheaply and safer than a rocket. We will replace this with our own massive launch vehicle that will be ready in 2015/25/35/just after the date in startrek

1. Orv Silver badge

To be fair, unlike NASA, SpaceX didn't have the military sidling up to them and saying "we need it to do [CLASSIFIED]," which was the source of a lot of the excess fat in the Shuttle's design.

2. Dabbb

NASA - we built a Lunar module in 1960s and landed it on an effin Moon using computer less powerful than pocket calculator of early 2000s and almost zero electronics.

SpaceX - we took nine exactly same rocket booster NASA designed in 1960 for Lunar module, strapped them together, landed whole lot to a barge as a publicity stunt in 2017 and claimed we were the very first who managed successfully land a rocket.

P.S. The fact that supposedly private enterprise SpaceX allowed access to Vandenberg Air Force Base should be enough to start questioning what is really going on there.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The Apollo programme consumed up to 5% of the USA's GDP.

SpaceX didn't claim that they were first to land a rocket after delivering a payload to orbit - they demonstrated it. Blue Origin's effort that was successfully landed had a velocity an order of magnitude lower than that required to reach orbit - it touched the top of the atmosphere and came back down again.

1. Dabbb

DC-X was demonstrating vertical rocket landing in 1980s so there's nothing particularly special about it, except the fact that it reduces payload and still need be completely disassembled and rebuilt after landing. I'll leave it to you to figure out whether it's easier to build reliable engine from scratch or from used and usually badly damaged parts.

1. Alan_Peery

You're pretty sadly behind on what SpaceX is achieving with its booster reuse. The boosters aren't coming back badly damaged (barring crashes) -- they're coming back clean enough that the old design would be accumulating on the shelf if there weren't mission where throwing away the booster makes sense.

2. cray74

DC-X was demonstrating vertical rocket landing in 1980s

The DC-X first flew, for 59 seconds, on 18 August 1993.

and still need be completely disassembled and rebuilt after landing.

The DC-X, Falcon 9, and New Shepherd all reuse(d) engines without significant rebuilds between flights.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"The DC-X, Falcon 9, and New Shepherd all reuse(d) engines without significant rebuilds between flights."

Have they stopped finding chunks of the turbopump impellers missing on the F9? SpaceX has some dirty little secrets that they work very hard to suppress.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Blue Origin's effort that was successfully landed had a velocity an order of magnitude lower than that required to reach orbit - it touched the top of the atmosphere and came back down again.

And not even that! Its lateral velocity was pretty close to zero. "All" it needed was a thrust:weight greater than 1 and enough fuel to get up and back.

3. timrowledge

The entire expenditure for NASA during the Apollo years never got as high as 5% of the federal govt budget, which is a lot less than GDP. I see claims that Apollo cost roughly one third of the NASA budget.

2. Alan_Peery

Why should a perfectly good launchpad sit idle, even if it was originally built for secret military launches?

Vandenberg allows polar orbit launches, which makes it doubly useful.

1. Orv Silver badge

Vandenberg allows polar orbit launches, which makes it doubly useful.

And provides some unforgettable light shows for those of us in SoCal.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2018/10/08/spacex-rocket-launch-lon-orig.cnn-business/video/playlists/business-spacex/

3. cray74

SpaceX - we took nine exactly same rocket booster NASA designed in 1960 for Lunar module

Saying the Merlin is exactly identical to a LEM engine is like confusing the 5.2 L Aston Martin AE31 twin-turbocharged V12 for a VW Bug's 1100cc H4 because they both use pistons. Yes, it's true, they're both piston engines. They're not exactly the same, not even the piston design.

Specific to the rockets, a few points:

1) The Apollo LEM's descent propulsion system was developed by the private company Space Technologies Laboratories (TRW), not NASA.

2) The SpaceX Merlin engines shared the same style of propellant injector, a pintle injector, as the LEM's descent propulsion system, but SpaceX's injectors differ in alloy, size, shape, and design.

3) Merlin engines use different propellants than the LEM's descent propulsion system

4) Merlin engines have vastly more thrust than the LEM's descent propulsion system

5) Merlin engines use turbopumps to deliver propellants, which differs from the pressure-fed LEM descent propulsion system

6) Merlin 1C and later engines are regenerative cooling, which differs from the ablatively-cooled LEM descent propulsion system

7) Merlin engines use a different combustion chamber design than the LEM's descent propulsion system

8) Merlin engines use a different nozzle design than the LEM's descent propulsion system

9) Merlin engines use different alloys than the LEM's descent propulsion system

The Merlin engine shares a single general detail with the LEM's engine, which is a pintle-type injector. It differs in all other major aspects of rocket engine construction: thrust, propellants, pumping method, cool design, and construction techniques.

3. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

@Yet Another Anonymous Coward.

Dude, seriously? 'Dummy' was a reference to the film 'Mannequin':

Soundtrack Credits

Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now

Performed by Jefferson Starship (as Starship)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093493/soundtrack?ref_=tt_trv_snd

Because, you know, a 'Mannequin' is a 'dummy'.

So step away from the fanboi trigger, and recognise a little bit of leg pulling. Don't pull too hard, it'll probably come loose.

5. Paul Herber Silver badge

Yes

I'd go for Starship Trooper.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Re: Yes

I could lose my heart to that.

2. Curly4

Are you ready to sign up to be the first one?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Would you like to know more?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How the hell can somebody downvote "Would you like to know more?" Grrrr....

Put your hand on that wall, trooper. PUT YOUR HAND ON THAT WALL!

1. aks

Somebody seems to be downvoting everything in sight. Weird.

1. Mark 85

Weird? It's weird that someone has nothing better to do than downvote? Nah.. someone's just bored and wants to stir the pot a bit.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

I think the downvotes are amanfrommars worried we might be coming over soon.

2. BigSLitleP

In order to stop your enemy from downvoting, first you must disable his hand

3. OssianScotland

I'd go for Starship Trooper.

In which case, how about Rodger Young?

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

Missed opportunity

to call it "Heart of Gold"?

(Im)probably not

Doffs hat to the late, great Douglas Adams

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Missed opportunity

Heart of Gold is actually called "Starship The Heart of Gold", like Starship Bistromath and Starship Titanic. You may well find, that because he's not naming the ship, but rather the vehicle (I.e. not the individual but the group name), that it may actually still occur.

7. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
    Coat

Of course Super Heavy is only the name for the booster stage.

Nobody would go for a Super Heavy Interplanetary Transporter.

1. Tigra 07
      Coat

RE: AC

News just in. It's to be called the "Super Heavy Advanced Rocket Transporter"

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

Re: RE: AC

SHART

8. Zolko Silver badge

BBR

The correct name is BBR: Bloody Big Rocket

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: BBR

BFR will do... Big Feck'in Rocket

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: BBR

Big Breasted Robot?

9. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Falcon

naff name.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry but this is just wrong, you can't have the name "Starship" as that is what it is. It needs a proper name after the starship.

What about Starship Ambien? He's been on that one before.

1. eldakka

Starship 420?

11. Tigra 07
    Trollface

After recent events i'm surprised it's not called "See, paedo guy still hasn't sued me yet"

1. Spazturtle Silver badge

That would be false though since he has been sued. In face he had been sued when he made that statement the first time as well, but he had skipped a meeting with his lawyers so he wasn't aware.

12. kloczek the iOS6 user

"overpriced taxi to the International Space Station"

.. which creates acronym OTTTISS which sounds even right :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "overpriced taxi to the International Space Station"

Will there be regrets when OTTTISS misses? Earworm

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If it goes over budget will it be OTTTISS REDINK ?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

.. which creates acronym OTTTISS which sounds even right :)"

He's saving that for the Space Elevator, just to be "disruptive" :-)

13. Eddy Ito

Super Heavy is the rocket booster needed to escape Earth’s deep gravity well (not needed for other planets or moons)

Really, other planets? Why not just say Mars? Very Little Gravitas Indeed.

1. JohnFen

Heh, good point. I believe their are a couple of other planets in our solar system that have much deeper "gravity wells" than Earth.

1. Baldrickk

Might have trouble landing on them though.

1. DropBear
          Trollface

Look, for all we know the name might be perfectly justified - maybe he also intends to land on the Sun...

14. x 7

So where is

the White Rabbit?

and can we get Grace to press the "go"button?

15. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

out of topic question

This question will undoubtly attract downvotes, but what the hell..

What's with the solitary downvote to almost every single post in this conversation? Did the Church of Jobs repurpose itself as the Righteous Musketeers?

1. 0laf
      Trollface

Re: out of topic question

There is a commentard out there that gives every post a downvote. Keeps all our feet on the ground and stops us getting big headed.

It's his/her task, duty, mission from God.

Thou shalt not have 0 downvotes! For that way lies hubris, vanity and a directorship in Capita.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Musk reads the register of course.

3. Spherical Cow Silver badge

I suspect a downvote bot.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. StuntMisanthrope

The lustre burns brightly.

Still a long way to go, to match even casino types. I bring you Double Diamond, a high point in this particular household. #thebeerthemendrink

Re: The lustre burns brightly.

"Still a long way to go, to match even casino types. I bring you Double Diamond, a high point in this particular household. #thebeerthemendrink"

Which also has a SF link to the diamond clipperships from Ben Bovas Grand Tour series.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it does end up heading for the stars presumably a good name would be "Oops, missed"

19. Chris G

At 118 Metres

I would call it the Long Shot.

1. Chozo
      Coat

Re: Long Shot

Larry Niven called dibbs first... Ringworld chs. 4-5, 24

20. steelpillow Silver badge

Tradition

"We built this rocket on debt and bull" can and should be improved upon.

The traditional British version would be a fraction less logically complete but rather more assonant:

"We built this baby on cock and bull."

21. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

I'ts *not* "Super Heavy"

It's just y'know "Big boned."

1. FozzyBear
      Coat

Re: I'ts *not* "Super Heavy"

Like other commentards keep the name BFR, just like the BFG everyone knew actually what the "F" meant.

@john smith.

Considering we're in the lead up to christmas. "I'm not fat i'm just festively plump!"

Oh screw you guys and all your down votes.... I'm going home!

22. Essuu
    Coat

Well if it's a starship

...they'd better play Magic Carpet Ride as it takes off !

1. DropBear
      Trollface

Re: Well if it's a starship

Yeah, I like that Mighty Dub Katz song too...

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First i heard about BFR....

on german TV, my old, dirty ears understand "Big F*cking Rocket". Would be a much cooler Name than "Starship"...

24. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Alert

Lollipop

Then they could play "On The Good Ship Lollipop" to the passengers during the journey

25. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

"Starship"

It's going to Mars, not Eroticon

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Coat

Re: "Starship"

The Anonymous Rocket Designation Is Starship.

26. sanmigueelbeer
    Mushroom

I vote for "BBB": Big, Bang, Boom

And on the side of the booster is the line: Get a BLAST out of this!

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Starship

Rocky McRocketFace

28. Roj Blake Silver badge

Beardy

In fairness, calling something that goes to the moon a starship isn't as bad as calling a company that offers trips to not even low Earth orbit Virgin Galactic.

29. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Please, please ...

let the first captain of the first manned Starship mission be a "Major Tom", a SpaceX "Starman" rather than a NASA "Astronaut", who communicates with "Ground Control" and transmits video on "channel two" ... If it went well the publicity would be fabulous, wrong and it would be messy but Elon's never one from shying away ...

30. Stryker007
    Coat

Starship? and will those who ride on them be troopers? ahhh sorry

31. Gobhicks

Never mind the Jeffersons

I prefer to think that Elon has been to one of MC50's recent gigs.

32. aqk
    Alien

Hey- what about the monikers Astronaut and Cosmonaut?

Just how far have these brave spacey nautical fellows ventured from the Earth's atmosphere?

Any American been to the ASTEROID belt yet? And how far into the "cosmos" have those Russkies travelled ?

OK- A dozen+ Americans have been as far as the Moon. Sorry guys- you're still under control of Earth's gravity.

But is this really waaaaay out there?

33. MachDiamond Silver badge

Given Elon's track record of names......

Model S, 3, X and maybe someday, Y. Pickup, Roadster, Semi, etc Not even IKEA is so bland. The interesting thing is that they can only trademark "Tesla Pickup" in the same way that Microsoft only has a trademark on "Microsoft Windows" as their application for "Windows" was denied. You can't trademark a commonly used word. Falcon? Okay, but too many rockets have been named after birds.

I lifted the name for my rocket that I built for my Level One certification from Niven, "Hot Needle of Inquiry" and gave it a flame paint job. My Level Two rocket was "Lying Bastard". Haven't done my Level Three, but maybe I'll call it "Long Shot".

There has to be somebody at the SpaceX plant that could suggest a much better name. Whether it will ever fly or not..............

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like