back to article Windows 10 goes into the Light and Cortana MIA as Microsoft buys chatbot bods XOXCO

This week Microsoft saw the light in Windows 10 and returned to the realm of chatbots, among plenty of other things notwithstanding the flashing of a surprise ad in an Insider build. Windows 10 goes into the light As the Windows 10 October 2018 Update finally made an appearance last week, Microsoft was keen to keep the whole " …

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

insert your own file deletion joke here.

From the article...

"according to Microsoft, is 'we want everything to be exactly as you left it before you did the update'."

see icon. Also from the article, the title: "Insert your own file deletion joke here"

Settings too??? how about the 'start thing' if I went and took the mousie-clickie time to REMOVE all of those @#$%'ing TILES for [CR]apps I'll NEVAR use? Will that "stay gone" or can I expect them "they're BAA-AAACK" to just 're-appear' because, Micro-shaft?

I'll believe it when I see it. But I probably won't. I only use Win-10-nic to test application compatibility, in a VM, and have no plans on allowing it to update itself. And since it's a VM I did an "export" on everything to a backup once I had it set up semi-sane [best I could do with Win-10-nic] to minimize the irritations... (and I do *NOT* *EVAR* want to see those irritations *AGAIN* !!!)

2. Tromos

"Microsoft is infusing intelligence across all its products and services"

Never mind 'across', how about 'into'?

Particularly regarding testing of updates.

1. Teiwaz

Re: "Microsoft is infusing intelligence across all its products and services"

Never mind 'across', how about 'into'?

Particularly regarding testing of updates.

Never mind those, what about infusing some intelligence across/into (up, if you must) Microsoft itself....?

Might be a good idea to get updates right before roll-out several times in a row before adding even more flashy complexity.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

So, buying bots are we ?

Yeah, why not ? Perfect time for shopping.

After all, it's not like there are any major problems, right ? Nothing on the priority list, eh ? Like, I dunno, maybe making your fucking products work ?

Just an idea . . .

1. Mark 85

Re: So, buying bots are we ?

Well, the last part here sort of says it: "As Microsoft prepares its army of unpaid testers for another Bug Bash in January, a swathe of fixes is really what the company should be focusing on.".

MS is putting more effort into polishing the turd instead of fixing the problems.

2. N2
      Trollface

Re: So, buying bots are we ?

... "Like, I dunno, maybe making your fucking products work ?"

That's never been a priority for MS.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

Perhaps they could take a leaf out of Apple's book and dedicate every other release to mostly bug fixing?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Damn you for getting my hopes up

"into the light" is a euphemism for death; I really thought they had finally called it quits.

6. David 132 Silver badge
    Unhappy

Wow, THREE different color schemes now?

Dark, Light, and normal-aka-murky? Such choice.

Remember when Windows allowed you to set whatever color scheme you wanted for the window borders, text, taskbar and all other elements?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow, THREE different color schemes now?

I can remember when you could customise the BSOD.

Mine was mauve, with dark purple text.

7. Andy Denton

Ermm....

Shouldn't that be "Razor support in Visual Studio Code" (not Core)?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like