back to article Linux kernel Spectre V2 defense fingered for massively slowing down unlucky apps on Intel Hyper-Thread CPUs

Linux supremo Linus Torvalds has voiced support for a kernel patch that limits a previously deployed defense against Spectre Variant 2, a data-leaking vulnerability in modern processors. Specifically, the proposed patch disables a particular Spectre V2 defense mechanism by default, rather than switching it on automatically. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Top stuff

This is a proper nerdy article which has slithered onto el Reg. Me: I absolutely love it. You can try and use terms like "Linux supremo" to try and sound a little bit user friendly but in the end this is a complex subject that will have many readers glazing over before line three. STIBP THBIS NONBSEPNSE is close to genius (OK: I spat wine on my screen!) Well researched and documented article - thanks.

Now as to the meat: Spectre and Meltdown have yet to really *be* compromises as far as most of us civilians are concerned. We don't yet hear of any S&M compromises but they surely exist and will be deployed by the clever mob. The not so clever mob (the usual non govt haaxxor nob ends) will eventually come up with something and become a pain.

Keep patching, kids.

2. Bitsminer Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Spectracular

Reliability and trustworthiness now has a spectrum of options to be selected. Get it wrong and get pwned!

X86 = Special Executor for Caching Troubles with Revenue Extraction

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Spectracular

X86 = Special Executor for Caching Troubles with Revenue Extraction

Various spectre variants affect Arm, PPC and other cpus. So I do quite see your point here.

3. Bill Gates

Hyper-threading was a gimmick anyway. Just get rid of it. It is not needed, we have lots of REAL cores now, we don't have to pretend.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Hell, let's actually use the cores we have!

After watching xosview for a decade, I think the only thing to use all the cores at once is gcc, when it builds kernel modules for VirtualBox, nvidia drivers, etc.

I think other than that, KSP now uses about 1.8 cores.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

"let's actually use the cores we have!"

Well X11 is client/server and you'll see more threading because of it. And the OS has kernel threads that try to make use of multiple cores for IO and other things (well Linux and BSD, anyway, dunno windows probably does too).

But yeah multi-thread algorithms are still a bit behind the hardware tech last I looked, except for things that are trivially threaded. Some time ago I did a threaded quick sort as a demo, and a more practical discrete Fourier transform with threads [which is somewhat trivially threaded]. Where I get the most benefit is from a build, which I always try to invoke with jobs 'make -j' set to twice the number of available cores.

/me does not even know if Microsoft's compiler can do that, simultaneous jobs to build things. BSD make and GNU make have been able to do that for at least a decade...

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

That's multiprocessing, not multithreading

Microsoft compilers do it that way too, though you have to use the new-ish msbuild or the 3rd party jom as Microsoft's cmake doesn't support -j for some reason.

However it took until MSVC 2017 before msbuild became capable of doing any of the other build steps in parallel.

And linkers are still mostly single threaded.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: That's multiprocessing, not multithreading

True, make -j 32 on our 64-core Opteron machine does absolutely fly through big builds, but that is indeed multi-processing rather than multi-threading proper. We do write code that scales well up to 64 threads (up to 50x speed-up), but that only really works if you have serious compute loads (like multi Gpixel images) to process. Many applications don't use multiple threads very heavily.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Many applications don't use multiple threads very heavily. Yes, because you need either 1) embarrassingly parallelizable algorithm (fitting within existing imperative programming paradigms) or 2) a new programming paradigm which limits data sharing between threads. Without either of these, the horizontal scalability of your application is severely limited by the Amdahl's law. New languages like Go or Elixir, or frameworks like Akka go some way towards 2), but few programmers can be bothered.

2. katrinab Silver badge

"Many applications don't use multiple threads very heavily."

Maybe, but it is possible to run more than one application, or indeed one virtual machine on a single computer.

2. Chemist

"I think the only thing to use all the cores at once is gcc"

Video transformations often(usually) use many cores

Try scaling video using ffmpeg - it uses all 4(8 cores) cores on this i7 laptop

3. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Calibre uses multiple cores when converting ebook formats (one core per book), and of course those online cryptocoin miners will use them all if you let them.

1. phuzz Silver badge

"Calibre uses multiple cores when converting ebook formats"

I did not know that, and it's a great feature to have, only it might be more useful if it took more than five seconds to do a conversion in the first place.

"Surely a virtualisation platform would use all the cores/thread you can throw at the virtual machines?"

Yes, but then the question is, what multithreaded workloads is you virtual machine running, or is it only using (mainly) one core?

Perhaps if you were running multiple emulators inside your VM...?

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Surely a virtualisation platform would use all the cores/thread you can throw at the virtual machines?

I was thinking the other day how virtualization used to be so that you could sweat your assets as much as possible, using spare CPU time for other servers and allowing peak performance every now and then on shared resources. However, cores and memory are so abundant now that many suppliers who have a say over their use on your system specify minimum unshared amounts of cores/ram etc and don't 'allow' you to set more modest and reasonable requirements. Not so much of a concern in the Linux world I know.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

ots of REAL cores now, we don't have to pretend

that's a very, very good point. Except for the legacy boxen...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not true. On many workloads you’ll never get the same level of performance per watt and per $ no matter how many cores.

4. T. F. M. Reader

Hyper-threading itself may be bad for performance.

Ever since hyper-threading was introduced it's been pointed out that it may be bad for performance for many (most?) workloads because the two hardware threads would be fighting each other for the (single) cache. The usual advice (and not from OpenBSD) was: switch it off unless you really know what you are doing and you've benchmarked your particular workload.

Now, if you want additional protection from the Spectre haunting your CPU, you will make you computer slower still.

Just switch hyper-threading off. Make all the SW patches useful only when it's on optional.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Hyper-threading itself may be bad for performance.

Ever since hyper-threading was introduced it's been pointed out that it may be bad for performance for many (most?) workloads because the two hardware threads would be fighting each other for the (single) cache.

This is standard practice in HPC land; in addition to the cache, the tight loops that typically get run in this scenario mean that there is competition for the same registers.

2. Dave K

B-but I like seeing 16 cpu usage guages in task manager :(

Admittedly this would be my only noticeable loss when disabling HT...

3. owlstead

At the time it was introduced hyperthreading only offered a mere 10% or so of performance improvement and even slowed down the CPU for others.

Here is a comment that discusses it at technical detail for the Intel P4.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7tzum9/does_zen_architecture_receive_single_thread/dthd122

That's a long way off for what you can do with SMT on current processors, especially when it comes to CPU and thread heavy workloads:

https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/74880-amd-ryzen-7-1700x-review-testing-smt-4.html

So yeah, switching off SMT (Hyperthreading is an Intel marketing term) is generally a very bad idea with regards of performance. Rendering video is a common use case for faster CPU's - if you don't want that buy a cheaper CPU without SMT.

If I was on a multi-core chip I would want to enable it (preferably automatically) only for certain applications. But I don't think we have options for that.

5. _LC_
    Boffin

Hyperthreading

It's like this: When the CPU has to access something from memory (there are various caches in-between), it has to wait an eternity (easily 1000+ cycles). With "Hyperthreading" it would simply continue executing another thread. THIS IS NOT THE SAME as employing another core, as another core will consume A LOT more power (extra caches, etc.).

Therefore, "Hyperthreading" is a good idea. In fact, it works even better when designed for more parallel threading (like SMT8 on the Power9, for instance).

The problem here is that they decided to ignore the MMU (memory management/multiuser protection) in favor of speed (speculative execution). Now they pretend that those are all bugs. It's close to impossible to run so many red lights without asking yourself if you missed something.

These processors should go back. Them claiming, that things are complicated and that it's virtually impossible to get them right, is an insult. This reminds me very much of Volkswagen and their Diesel scandal...

Don't buy any new systems until they fix this. So far, they cannot be bothered, it seems. Buy a cheap in-order ARM/Risc-V system instead.

6. Zolko Silver badge
    Linux

uname

"was added to Linux 4.20 and backported to Linux 4.19.2"

> uname -r

4.19.1-041901-lowlatency

good, I'm safe (icon, obviously)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In all of this, there's one thing I don't see....

....namely, what access does a bad actor need in order to exploit these hardware defects?

If a task with non-root permissions can run these exploits - clearly very bad.

If a task needs root permissions, then maybe not so bad.

If the bad actor needs physical access to the box, then maybe very unlikely.

Can El Reg readers help this end user understand? Thanks.

1. Spazturtle Silver badge

Re: In all of this, there's one thing I don't see....

Malicious javascript can use these exploits. Although there are no current POCs for this particular variant like there are for the others.

8. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Cheers for the OpenBSD shoutout

Although the security situation in OpenBSD is evolving. The current situation, unless they've changed it again in a snapshot recently, is that by default hyperthreading is disabled by not scheduling tasks against a hyperthreaded instance.

Therefore, if you run top and kick off a multi process compile on a pair of 8 core CPUs with hyperthreading, top will display all 32 'cores' but only show activity on 16 of them.

The real danger is that the number of potential exploits is rapidly multiplying. Whilst some of the issues found are difficult to leverage, I wouldn't put money on this being the case for all future design choices that can be taken advantage of.

9. Rich 2 Silver badge
    WTF?

That can't be right!

You quoted Linus several times, but where was the profanity? I can only guess the anger management therapy or whatever it is he said he was doing is working.

Well, f*ck me!

1. Rajesh Kanungo

Re: That can't be right!

He swore off profanity.

10. Someone Else Silver badge
    Happy

"STIBP THBIS NONBSEPNSE"

Nice!

11. Rajesh Kanungo

Intel Hyper threading is an oxymoron anyway

In general I have associated hyperthreading to imply a large number of threads.

Intel uses 2 threads per core and calls it hyper.

I know companies which have built processes with 64 threads per core.

Threads were really meant, in these systems, for computational separation but not memory isolation. For example, you establish a pipeline of processes that data has to flow through to end up at a socket endpoint.

Intel, at some point, may have pushed this as a mkt advantage, selling ‘more’ cpus than they really had.

Are there many applications that get a performance boost IRL from threading? The requirements for cache coherence is extremely tight. I can think of same instruction same data as the basic requirement.

12. JLV

inquiring minds want to know

When are we due for Intel chips with the Spectres and Meltdowns vuln classes nuked again? Within reason, of course - nothing remains secure forever - but least without a whole slew of theoretical issues that hackers can play with.

It’s almost as if they didn’t want to jeopardize their current sales by having people put off buying.

13. JohnFen

Hooray!

"So a patch in progress will allow admins to turn on STIBP if needed, but not by default."

This is great news. My long-term mitigation plan is to get rid of my Intel-based machines entirely, and until then I want to pick and choose which mitigations I'm willing to accept. This is one I am not.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Confused

Why does this option exist if it hurts performance so much? Might as well just turn off hyperthreading. Or is this still better than turning it off entirely? Article needs to clarify.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Confused

It exists because it mitigates the Spectre Variant 2 security vulnerability. It hits performance because the mitigation in combination with Hyper Threading potentially slows down software.

So your choices are:

- a: enable mitigation for security reasons, enable Hyper-Threading, take the potential performance hit

- b: enable the mitigation for security reasons, disable Hyper-Threading because you weren't benefiting from it anyway

- c: disable the mitigation because you're not worried about the security issue, and enable Hyper-Threading

- d: disable the mitigation because you're not worried about the security issue, and disable Hyper-Threading because you don't benefit from it anyway

Most people will decide between a, b and c.

C.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

50% performance hit ? At this rate the next advice will be to unplug it at the wall...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like