back to article Visual Studio 2017 15.9 is here! Fire up your Windows on Arm laptops. All four of you

Microsoft devs rejoice! A new version of Visual Studio 2017 has arrived replete with fixes, tweaks and ARM64 support. The gang at Redmond have continued tinkering with Visual Studio 2017 despite the 2019 version looming large, and 15.9 is a worthy update, bringing handy new functionality out of preview and into the mainstream …

1. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921

Looks like "four" was rather an overestimate

2. xyz Silver badge

Xamarin.Android build performance improvement

Thank god for that... 6GB memory use and compiling like it's 1999. However, I'm still at the therapist recovering from trying to get VS2017's many and varied Xamarin related avenues to work together without installing "the kitchen sink" so I might hold off updating for a bit, if I actually get a choice to hold off updating for a bit that is. I don't know why MS gives you Xamarin install options when the only install option that seems to work is the "the fucking lot". Anyhoo, must face my fear and click that update link at some point I suppose.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Xamarin.Android build performance improvement

Yeah I've been working with them a bit on improving the mobile development experience. It sounds like they might be getting closer to resolving the 'I just can't be bothered to launch the debugger this time around' that causes so much annoyance. Also it's doing fewer rebuilds which is reducing cycle times.

Still annoying but slightly less painful.

3. _LC_
    Linux

Here, I fixed that for you.

A "flying" dog? Here, I fixed that for you:

https://manvfat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Hippo_at_dawn.jpg

4. Sgt_Oddball

Arm laptop?

Is that some new euphemism that's past me by?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Arm laptop?

No, this is being typed on one. But not a Windows one.

5. Zmodem

can't complain

.... about something that only costs £2 on ebay

get the pro version, no need for a microsoft account and it support enterprise for freelancing

6. }{amis}{
    Stop

GAH!!

an hour into the install and still waiting on an I7 with an m.2 and 16gb ram why so slow!

1. _LC_
      Holmes

Re: GAH!!

JIT compiling and scripting. They can make ANYTHING crawl. ;-)

1. Zmodem

Re: GAH!!

so can firewalls, more so the built in rubbish that is the windows firewall, that does'nt really do anything and but all background services use all your bandwidth

turn off your router and install all the system app's with the firewall disabled, things are always alot faster, especially windows update installs

7. The Axe

Bag o ....

Its still a bag of bits and pieces with a lack of consistency. And don't get me started on help and documentation- because I can't because its non existent or useless.

8. JohnFen

Not anytime soon

I'm forced to use Visual Studio at work, where we've just finished the exceedingly painful process of upgrading to Visual Studio 2015. After that nightmare, we'll certainly put off another upgrade for as long as humanly possible.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Not anytime soon

I found the 2015 to 2017 transition refreshingly simple. As in, it actually worked and I got a sln and project files which actually built a working application with only a day of cursing.

Unlike every previous VS version change, which required a week of sacrifices, and Glod help you if the moon was in the seventh house. Or did Jupiter need to align with Mars? I forget.

I presume this is because they finally switched to MSBuild, just in time for everyone else to switch to cmake or qmake.

Strange that my other IDEs seem able to seamlessly update complex projects.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like