back to article OpenStack 2018: Mark Shuttleworth chats to The Reg about 10-year support plans, Linus Torvalds and Russian rockets

Mark Shuttleworth delivered an unashamed plug for Ubuntu while cheerfully throwing a little shade on the competition at the OpenStack Berlin 2018 summit last week. If Nick Barcet of Red Hat had elicited gasps by suggesting the OpenStack Foundation (OSF) might consider releasing updates a bit more frequently, Shuttleworth sent …

1. Havin_it
    Mushroom

Beardbait

Mention a mighty beard in the teaser and no photo. I only clicked to see the beard. You hurt me, Reg.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Beardbait

Moeen Ali and cricket forum that way ☛

1. bazza Silver badge

Didn't good old Monty Panesar have a decent beard as well? WG Grace of course had a beard of substantial dimensions.

I still miss Bearders...

2. pLu

https://youtu.be/V10cgn_avJE?t=88

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Bah. I wanted a real beard. Like this: (click on the pic, the site is being orc-like.)

3. gypsythief

Here you go:

https://www.golem.de/1811/137746-179313-179312_rc.jpg

Your're wlecome!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll consider Ubuntu when they ship with a Qt based DE as standard.

1. Fatman

Considering Ubuntu

<quote>I'll consider Ubuntu when they ship with a Qt based DE as standard...and got rid of systemD.</quote>

FTFY!

3. Lars Silver badge
    Linux

Well said about Linus

I have come to the same conclusion too. long ago.

4. K
    Pint

"the guy ... who engineered machines to beat Gary Kasparov"

Here is how that makes me feel:

33.3% of me wants to jump for joy that engineers are getting their recognition

33.3% of me wants to face-palm, and ask you "trusted an engineer with commercial decisions?"

33.3% of me wants to point out to Mark Shuttleworth, it was a team who built them... not an individual (even if he managed the team)

0.01% of me, regrets wasting time typing this.. it's 17:33 and I should have left 3 minutes ago!

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: "the guy ... who engineered machines to beat Gary Kasparov"

And the remaining 0.09 % are, I suppose, longing for a well-deserved brew ...

A while ago I was skeptical about Ubuntu in the DC, but they do seem to manage. Even in our IBM / RHEL shop they managed to slip a few installs here and there. I can't really comment on reliability / support (too few of them compared to RHEL) but nothing catastrophic. That being said, given the recent turn of events they'll probably be progressively replaced by RHEL boxen in the coming years ...

1. DeKrow

Re: "the guy ... who engineered machines to beat Gary Kasparov"

Are your passwords similarly formatted to your usernames?

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Are your passwords similarly formatted to your usernames?

Some are.

Pardon the belated answer, it was unclear to me whether you asked me or "K" up there ; the question seemed legit for both ;-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like Ubuntu?

No. Not any more. Since they're trying to change everything and set standards nobody wants.

It used to be great, now it's become Shuttleworth's private tool to change everything to his incompatible vision. No thanks, swappped to Mint. No stupid netplan rubbish, no snap rubbish...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like