back to article HPE Aruba's 510 line of campus hotspots do 802.11ax. Which in plain English is Wi-Fi 6, duh

HPE Aruba today released a line of wireless hotspots supporting next year's 802.11ax/Wi-Fi 6 standard – and then immediately sullied them by applying the AI marketing buzzword. The Aruba 510 access points, along with "complementary access switches", support the long-in-the-pipeline Wi-Fi 6 standard. That standard was …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More power Scotty

At this rate, the PoE power standard won't be sufficient until every AP is empowered to spew out enough energy to wirelessly re-charge any cell phone wandering by.

2. tin 2

"hotspot"?

3. Spazturtle Silver badge

It's only Wi-Fi 6 is you pay the licencing fees to use that name from the marketing company that owns it.

4. Wellyboot Silver badge
    Facepalm

AP Powers down when not in use

>>> automatically power down an AP when there are no user devices connected to it<<<

Remind me again how clients find APs in the first place!

How does this affect the automatic transmit power levelling being used when lots of these boxes are in the same area, do we end up with lots of dead APs and a few working flat out?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: AP Powers down when not in use

Don't worry, it's AI.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>it's AI.

Personally, I would be promoting that feature as AESP (artificial ESP)...

2. Christian Berger

"Remind me again how clients find APs in the first place!"

Yes, but the APs that run can signal the controller to turn on some extra APs. After all range typically isn't the problem with high density installations, so you'll have less APs turned on when there are less users/data, with the other APs automatically turning on when there are more users/data.

Since those installations typically have ways to nudge the user into roaming to another AP, that can work rather smoothly.... in theory.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like