back to article Samsung unveils next-generation 8nm Exynos silicon

Samsung has unveiled the next-gen chips that will power its smartphones and tablets (and crypto-miners). And it hopes others will use them too. The Exynos 9 has been built on Samsung's own 8nm fabrication processes, and the first two chips in the series are the 9810 and 9820. The latter has a 2x4 core, with two fast (Cortex A …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

It's pop-AI but tailored, fans

Genius

2. YourNameHere

Cryptos

How many crypto chips do you need to sell to boost the companies profits that much?

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Cryptos

It also probably had a lot to do with the high price of bitcoin earlier this year.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And look who's bringing up the rear, Intel.

4. BGatez

How's the phone calls sound?

1. jonathan keith
      Trollface

Never mind that; how good are the photos?

2. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Is it thinner? Can I fold it?

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Probably not bad if you can click away all of the Samsung pop-up advertisements in each stock app.

4. big_D Silver badge

Phone calls

It's a processor, not a phone, so it is irrelevant. It is only once it is plugged into a phone that that becomes relevant, and that is dependent on the quality of the microphone (nothing to do with the chip), the speaker (nothing to do with the chip), the circuit board(s) (nothing to do with the chip), the controlling software (minimal influence from the chip) and the ENF smog (partial influence from the chip)...

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge

is it going to have a decent open source video driver?

Ugh... Mali... I had to deal with the one shipping with Exynos 5 when installing Debian on my chromebook. Nightmare video adapter. The published drivers are usually totally out of date so one has to deal with fbdev

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TMSC!=TSMC

Has there been a surprise Drop-IN from the Tiny Malaysian Semiconductor Concern?

Intel is quaking at the double of their 7nm competition.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like