back to article 'Frontline workers' of the world, unite! And grab yourselves a Surface Go White Van Man edition

Microsoft has confirmed that a 4G version of its budget fondleslab, the Surface Go, will ship this month. The LTE version of the mini convertible 2-in-1 is targeted at "Frontline Workers". Microsoft names insurance loss adjusters and construction project managers as typical use cases. It touted Microsoft's device management …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not very rugged

Given the way that white van man chucks stuff around I would have thought a more ruggedised device would be needed. This looks rather flimsy for that sort of environment.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not very rugged

well, this MS world must be a parallel universe, in my world, a white van looks "somewhat" different to this sculptured shot. And so does a white van man himself. And so does his white shirt :)

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Not very rugged

If they start using them, I'm sure there will be an available rugged case. After all, iPads aren't very resistant, either, but they get used a lot. It is still a lot more cash for the performance available, but that probably won't stop people buying them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I think...

Microsoft needs something better than a surface tablet to lure people into their white van....

1. J. Cook Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: I think...

Well, the "FREE CANDY" sign painted on the side didn't work...

1. hplasm
        Happy

"Well, the "FREE CANDY" sign painted on the side didn't work..."

ITYM 'Free Candy Crush'

2. Kane
        Childcatcher

"Well, the "FREE CANDY" sign painted on the side didn't work..."

Why don't you take a seat over there?

3. 0laf

These days with MS I just wonder two things.

1) Is it shit?

2)Will it still be supported in 2yr?

1. TRT Silver badge

Why task yourself with worry, wondering about the inevitable?

4. LucreLout

How much?!

I love MS. I've used their software throughout my career, and I own shares in the company. But seriously, MS, you're not Apple. You can't charge way over the odds for some faux hispter cool tax when Chromebooks cost half as much.

I'd love to buy one of these, but I'm not about to hand over twice what equivalent systems cost. Lets face it, the main thing I run that Chromebooks don't is Visual Studio, and that ain't gonna run well on the Surface 4GB version - not enough disk space for most of it.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
    Mushroom

Replacement Budget

Well thats the replacement budget nuked, after years of waiting a replacement to the Surface 3 (Non Pro) is here. Oddly our sales guys drive those tax dodging Hybrids instead of White Vans though.

6. J__M__M

These are the most unfixable devices on the planet. Want to replace a bad battery after a couple years? You have to remove 52 screws to get there, but none of the screws are on the outside. They used roofing tar or some such nightmare adhesive to put the two halves together. Oh, once you get to the battery, it's still glued to the freaking back of the case.

I was going to say think bic lighter, but the lighter would be far easier to fix so never mind. How about those ink tags they put on clothes as a theft deterrent.. it's like fixing one of those.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like